I've played it a bit on Xbox360 and I found it boring as well.
Posts by insta
-
-
Oh man I'm gonna make the best puzzle ever! I don't care what the contest ends up being about, I'm submitting my puzzle map all the same!
-
I'd llike to delete the physics crate which is standing on the small wooden platform, since right underneath it is a large vphyics_clip brush, meaning if anybody tries to pick up the crate with the gravgun the crate will hit an invisible wall.
-
meet me in the parking lot after lunch, buddy the designer and we'll see who _really_ got the 3rd place!
-
That sounds like an excellent idea merkaba. When do we do a poll for all these ideas?

-
I love the animations and general art style of TF2, I'll need to take a week off work when Ep2, Portal and TF2 finally comes out.
-
Quote from buddy the designer
But could the map still have normal sp gameplay along the shitload of puzzles?
Sure why not, but the only requirement for entering would be that the map contains atleast one wacky puzzle.
-
Puzzles are a great idea, since it won't require anybody to make a full-fledged map and can concentrate on cooking up some cool stuff.
-
Let's all take a deep breath.
-
Quote from Mkz
how about not making any contests?instead of that let the people in here pick few people to make a mapcore hl2 single player mission

like... everyone who wants in has to reply to some topic. then there would be a poll and the community could pick 3-5 of the "best" designers/mappers and then the 3-5 best designers/mappers would make the hl2 sp mission.
ofc some1 should write a story for that or something...
Such projects usually last for 2-3 weeks, with a few WIP screenshots posted then the project disappears into thin air.
-
Quote from Rick_D
That made me chuckle

EH I like the idea of an SP contest but if it's going to be judged solely on the screen shots then what's the point? Not trying to be a dickhead or anything but what stops someone making a shitty gameplay experience but a few nice looking screenshots of the shitty gameplay in action and winning because of the poor voting system?
I mean if that's the case I'm in ;D
Because its easier to play a singleplayer map and tell if you have fun or not? Not too many people enjoy HL2DM, and actually playing and evaluating maps would be far too much effort.
-
Quote from mabufo
What qualifies as a small scale singleplayer level? An arena type thing? Lost Coast sort of short?
I was thinking "boss fight", or atleast one enviroment which is used to have a great battle. An example would be fighting a strider in a somewhat open courtyard, fighting waves of Combine in a multi-floor enviroment, fighting one of those large Ant Lion thingies etc.
I also think we should impose a size limit, and possibly only use stock content except for possibly additional content provided by the contest itself so that people don't get too carried away and fail to produce anything at all. Remember we had to delay the 1024 contest like 3 times, and that was somewhat "simple".
-
If we did a singleplayer contest (and I'm talking small scale, keep that in mind!) we'd get _alot_ of attention/interest from these here internets, since everybody craves more SP for HL2. Even if only 3-4 maps were actually completed and submitted it would be a success.
-
Well, I don't mean epic, multi-map campaigns, just something small and quick, which will allow you to show off your entity-scripting skills in addition to design/gameplay skills.
Everts idea of a boss fight/battle map would be the best most likely. Something similar to the Strider battle in HL2, or the Gunship battle in HL2:Ep1 where you fought the gunship ontop of the hospital.
-
Evert says : "It would be cool with a hold the fort/bossfight singleplayer map contest"
Small area, cool gameplay.
-
Quote from buddy the designer
So ... what's the next competition?

5 minutes of singleplayer gameplay made in 2-3 weeks!
-
-
-
I played through NOLF2 some days ago. Great game, at times really funny as well. And its only like 10 bucks these days, so go out and buy it!
-
Oops, its way too early in the morning

Well, very nice work for Goldsrc then!