1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • The new year is coming...

    • Minos
    • December 11, 2007 at 4:41 PM

    Thrik: the big mapcore momma.

    Although thrik can sound a bit harsh here he's totally right. There's no excuse for you to keep working on HL1 besides not wanting to learn a new engine. My rig is a lot worse than yours and even though hammer 4 runs like shit and I can barely run HL2 at full quality I'm still working on my ins map and creating textures/models etc... Just for your information, I used to have a geforce4 mmx440 64mb (aka worst gfx card ever) for 3 years, I have only recently bought a budget dx9 card so I could run HL2 with shaders/hdr. Put yourself together d3, you have lots of potential, stop capping yourself with old tech

    Now for my year... it's been pretty good. I started uni, was really motivated in the beginning but that motivation has kind of faded away lately. I just don't have enough motivation to do my best for it because the teachers never push other people too far. But it's still being a great experience and I made some good friends while at it.

    Since I'm on summer vacation I'm working like a bitch on my portfolio. I even bought some ginseng so I can stand working 16 hours per day or so. My plan is to apply for a job in Europe in the next year (looking at you grin ). I also got a freelance job at southlogic studios, Brazil's biggest game dev (they made the deer hunter games) and it's being a great experience, since I'm working on a "next gen" title. That forced me to learn a lot of new techniques that will probably lead me to my dream job.

    My relationship has been steady and I got no complaints about it (other than the obvious things). I just hope 2008 will be even better than 2007 was and that I land that job somewhere far away from Brazil and change my life completely

  • totally random texture thread

    • Minos
    • December 11, 2007 at 4:16 PM
    Quote from Synthesizer

    I think it works, but maybe you could push the middle design out to the borders and get rid of the square just behind them, to get rid of the light on dark corner, which sort of looks like a baking error. I really like the pattern on the wallpaper.

    Yeah agreed But I know why it looks weird, I put all the faces of the square in the same smoothing group. I'll rebake the normal and hopefully fix it.

  • No Country for Old Men

    • Minos
    • December 11, 2007 at 12:32 PM

    ah it's directed by the coen brothers, it can't be wrong

  • totally random texture thread

    • Minos
    • December 11, 2007 at 12:44 AM

    Here's my entry for a speed texturing contest at game-artist.net:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/88…bc6fe598682.jpg]

    sheets:

    Diffuse

    normal map

    Specular map

    highres mesh

  • de_jihad_final and fy_jihad version

    • Minos
    • December 10, 2007 at 1:39 AM

    The atmosphere is damn nice, we had some cool playtest sessions back then so I guess the layout is pretty good. I agree that you could have rounded up a few edges, we don't care about wpolys anymore

  • Half-Life: Paranoia

    • Minos
    • December 7, 2007 at 7:50 PM
    Quote from buddy the designer

    *WARNING*

    This mod contains a modified opengl32.dll file, the chances are that this will be picked up by VAC2 and thus ban you for possible cheats. Be VERY cautious when playing this mod with the opengl32.dll file!

    What do you mean by "banned" exactly? This is not a multiplayer mod, they can't ban you from singleplayer games.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Minos
    • December 7, 2007 at 7:09 PM

    Looks pretty cool pogop, reminds me of ins_karkar somehow

    You could use stronger light glows to give that feeling of a dusty place imo. Quick photoshop paint over:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/862/862556eb2408953282b7ba57f5c65c08d46b91.jpg]

    (I know they are a bit exaggerated but you get the idea )

  • Grin in swedish kids TV

    • Minos
    • December 7, 2007 at 6:59 PM
    Quote from Erratic

    The thing with the colored blocks, which I'm guessing is the editor, looks awesome

    Hell yeah, I love the bloom/real time shadows etc... Must run like shit on an "ordinary" pc though

    So let me guess, you place the coloured blocks, hand out the dimensions/guidelines to an artist, who then models the geometry in 3dsmax and imports it into the editor?

  • Tutorial - Pelt Mapping

    • Minos
    • December 7, 2007 at 6:57 PM

    This is very useful indeed, thanks for this.

  • Grin in swedish kids TV

    • Minos
    • December 7, 2007 at 6:00 PM
    Quote from Mazy

    I dont have a ticket! Please throw me off!!!!

    Sorry, I'll stop derailing the thread

  • Grin in swedish kids TV

    • Minos
    • December 7, 2007 at 2:57 PM

    Is that guy in the level design bit hipshot?

  • The random model thread!

    • Minos
    • December 7, 2007 at 1:16 AM

    Looks like a good start zete, now add in a lot of knives, dishes, towels, cans, cereal boxes etc...

  • Battlefield: Bad Company - Engine trailer

    • Minos
    • December 6, 2007 at 3:58 PM
    Quote from Steppenwolf

    Grin was on swedish kids TV recently. I will try to get this on youtube (if i get permission)

    Yeah you'd better ask for permission first indeed, wouldn't like to see you lose another job due to posting videos in youtube

  • Hardcore tetris!

    • Minos
    • December 6, 2007 at 5:07 AM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • MP_TheSpire - GOW - Released

    • Minos
    • December 6, 2007 at 1:14 AM

    Final version looks pretty cool but I somehow miss the old warmer lighting. But you can't please everyone

  • go-kart model

    • Minos
    • December 4, 2007 at 3:31 PM

    Nice UV

  • Half-Life: Paranoia

    • Minos
    • December 4, 2007 at 12:58 AM

    This was actually a good surprise. I like how varied the NPCs are and how they use NO HL content at all.

    But I don't dig the graphics, the art direction is just bad. Most of the textures are ugly and photoraped, and some of them even include the camera's flash The bump mapping looks horrible on such low res textures and even hurts the eyes... the game looks incredibly better with gl_bump 0. I don't dig the detail textures as well but it's not a big problem.

    Anyways, this mod has it's flaws but it still is a great effort and pushes the engine to the limit (in a good way). Congrats Paranoia team

  • Phone salesman amazes jury in talentshow. OMFG must see

    • Minos
    • November 30, 2007 at 4:52 PM
    Quote from Nexus

    hha yeah now i will think about this guy the whoole day long..

    Nice video indeed.

  • totally random texture thread

    • Minos
    • November 30, 2007 at 2:07 PM

    Not bad but the painted surface looks weird. It's supposed to look smoother than the concrete, so instead of overlaying it get an smooth plaster texture and overlay over the painted part only.

  • new website + etqw stuff

    • Minos
    • November 30, 2007 at 2:01 PM

    Ah lovely stuff sa74n. Your ET levels are so cosy~

    I like the new design a lot, the older one wasn't as easy to navigate. I'd just suggest you to add your name/email to the pictures. Some potential employees save all the pictures they like and won't go through the hassle of trying to find your portfolio again if your contact is not there. I also think you should increase the font's size slightly in the "information" page.

    And when are you finishing your ND map? (if you ever are)

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 8, 2026 at 7:49 PM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™