1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • Tutorial time #2: Modular Rocks

    • Minos
    • July 12, 2010 at 3:11 PM

    Thanks a lot man, I love the rocks in BC =)

    Quick tip: It may also be a good idea to bake radiosity to vertex colors. It's quite easy to do that in 3ds max:

    - add a skylight

    - go to Rendering > Advanced Lighting > Radiosity (it's a good idea to assign an exposure control to fine tune the results later)

    - hit "Start"

    - go to Tools - Assign Vertex Colors and Assign

    a simple teapot with radiosity baked to vertex colors only:

    [attachment=0]radiosity.jpg[/attachment]

    You can mix that with handpainted vertex colors and the results will be fantastic!

    Keep it up phill!!

  • TF2 Engineer update!!!1

    • Minos
    • July 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM

    Had a lot of fun playing as demoman this weekend

  • Pirates of New Horizons

    • Minos
    • July 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM

    woah i remember those rocks from the random model thread

    Kickass work dudes, best luck to all of you!!

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Minos
    • July 8, 2010 at 9:41 PM

    You are the best man

  • Moonbase - The game from the NASA

    • Minos
    • July 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://space1999.tv-toys.co.uk/dest-mba-poster.jpg]

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • July 7, 2010 at 5:19 PM

    ceiling jesus is watching you!!

  • Iranian Game Developer Prepares to Launch Title

    • Minos
    • July 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    Quote from Jetsetlemming

    I wanna know what John Carmack needed, game development-wise, that required wading across rivers.

    Carmack lived in a swampy area in Louisiana and one day during a heavy rainstorm he and romero had to literally swim through a flooded area infested with crocodiles to get to the house. Work on Commander Keen could not stop!

    Of course that may be exaggerated but they indeed lived in a swampy area. You can see photos of it on Romero's site

  • Iranian Game Developer Prepares to Launch Title

    • Minos
    • July 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM

    Pretty cool stuff. A bunch of Iranian dudes making such a high-quality game using only open source software and google brings happiness to my heart =)

    Quote

    Iran posses absolutely no copyright laws, meaning that games, music and movies can be freely distributed, leading Arash Jafari to state that, “People thought we had lost our minds” for choosing to make games as a profession.Additionally, the developers had to work around trade sanctions against Iran, forcing their hand into using freely available open-source software to power their game. The group also leveraged the Internet to learn more about development. Jafari said that, “Google was our university.”

    The developers also recently received a grant from Iran’s Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance, which will help it promote the game abroad, leading Chief Executive Amir Hossein Fassihi to proclaim, “We are now in control of our own future.” Indeed the game has already secured distribution in Germany.

    Sauce: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/03/22/ ... unch-title

    Trailer:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    All of this reminds of John Carmack's famous quote:

    Quote

    "In the information age, the barriers just aren't there. The barriers are self-imposed. If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. I slept on floors. I waded across rivers."

  • Best mice for teh level designz?

    • Minos
    • July 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://img.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/img?s=MLB&f=147275907_3367.jpg&v=P]

  • TF2 Engineer update!!!1

    • Minos
    • July 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM

    I saw a dude with a golden wrench last nite, amazine!!

    --

    argh spent all my extra items on crafting too... no golden wrench!

  • The Ball - Indie FPS Action/Puzzle Game

    • Minos
    • July 5, 2010 at 6:54 PM

    It does look good... but I'm not a fan of how everything looks so busy and contrasty. Might get a bit tiring to the eyes after some time? That's the reason I don't play UT3, that game gives me headaches.

    You guys got kickass art assets there, it's just a matter of tweaking colors and post-effect filters imo.

  • RAGE

    • Minos
    • July 4, 2010 at 2:57 AM

    I dunno, id kinda stopped being relevant gameplay-wise after Romero was fired and Tom Hall quit... the reason the first id games (doom, quake, commander keen, etc) were so fun and innovative was that because the id guys had a lot of fun working on those games. id looked like a pretty boring place to work at after Romero left, and many guys left because they couldn't stand Carmack's attitude. Of course things must be pretty different now.

    I know Romero's a douchebag full of himself but we need to give the man some credits.

    That's the image I have of id after reading masters of doom, I could be wrong, I wasn't there to witness the facts.

    Still looking forward to Rage though! Even if the gameplay sucks the technology is gonna be amazing, just like Doom 3.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • July 2, 2010 at 1:02 AM
    Quote from Pericolos0

    very good game! It's on psn now right? Might get it as well

    Woah!

    Now that may be a good reason to get a PS3

  • ITT Post cartoons from the 90's

    • Minos
    • July 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    Quote from dux

    I'll start with the best of the best of the bestestLast time I watched this I was about 8. I'm downloading all 5 series' and holy crap, this is a lot more adult than I remember it. As a kid I just loved the action (duh) but re-watching it now there's so much more to appreciate.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    wow that brings back memories. That carton surely rocked. And so did Spider Man. Fox kids was the best!

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    and one of the funniest cartoons ever:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • Stop the presses!!! dux likes a console game

    • Minos
    • July 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM

    Good job ruining an otherwise nice thread guys.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.nowev.net/rolleyes.gif]

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • June 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Gr7l6rWVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

  • Stop the presses!!! dux likes a console game

    • Minos
    • June 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    Quote

    ":13ymx0j2]Just get RE4 for PC and download a texture pack some dude made for the game. But play it with a controller.I don't know why tho, I first tried RE4 for PC, and I only managed to play the first level. I thought, what a horrible game, this is not resident evil.

    But a few years later I bought it for PS2 and oh man, was I glad I got it. It's an awesome game, you just need to give it some time for it to grow into you.

    hehe I also thought the same: "WTF?? this is not Resident Evil!!" but then I loved it as an action game.

    I still prefer the atmosphere, tension and music of the PSone games though =)

    This music almost brings tears to my eyes:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    RE2 was also a huge inspiration for me to go and learn 3d. Those environments look fantastic.

  • Stop the presses!!! dux likes a console game

    • Minos
    • June 30, 2010 at 2:58 AM

    Get a console man, it's worthy it =)

    RE4 is indeed a must play to anyone who loves and works with video games. Its core mechanics revolutionized current gen action games to say the least!

  • [TF2] PLR Nightfall

    • Minos
    • June 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

    Awesome!

    Would be neat if you cranked up the specular maps to make the map look wet. You could also add some puddles with cubemap reflections here and there!

  • [EP2] Mission Improbable Part 2

    • Minos
    • June 29, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    Quote from insta

    I just uploaded a small timelapse video showing of how an area in Mission Improbable part 2 evolved during development.It can be found here :

    http://www.moddb.com/mods/mission-impro ... -timelapse

    I love looking at those timelapse thingies from other games or maps, so it was cool to be able to make one myself!

    Twitted this to the twittersphere =)

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™