1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • Pirates of New Horizons

    • Minos
    • October 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM

    wow guys!! This is just a prototype but what is there already I can see as a great start for something huge. I loved exploring the island, not many games these days let you explore the world on your on pace and this is very nice! I also love how the city has different areas and stuff, that will allow to some nice NPC interactions in the future. You should definitely check out The Misadventures of Flapjack, it's my favorite cartoon atm and could steal a lot of ideas!

    At first I thought the camera movement was a bit weird but I got used to it quickly. I didn't play the game with a 360 controller though, I'm not at home now. The game sorft of reminds me of Mini Ninjas, and I don't know, perhaps this is the structure Mini Ninjas needed to be more fun? I mean, having a hub where you can go back to anytime a-la mario galaxy?

    Areas that need improvement imo:

    - The text boxes/NPC conversation system look a bit ugly. I think you could try something akin to Animal Crossing: The camera zooms in showing both the player and the NPC facing each other with text balloons on the bottom of the screen:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    - I missed some atmospheric effects on the city. Fog, volumetric effects on the distance, wind gusts etc... the city itself feels a bit sterile because of the lack of such effects.

    Congrats again you guys are hugely talented and games like that renew the faith that I picked the right career for my life! I can't wait to see where you guys are going to take this!

  • nDo - Normal creation toolkit

    • Minos
    • October 6, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    Quote from PhilipK

    Might as well post a new example I made for the tutorial here as well.Added another example .PSD to the tutorial. Just a photo based one this time where I used hand masking a bit together with my nDo-generated normals (strangely the .PSD is ver large in filesize. I had originally planned to release it in it's full res (1024x1024) but then it'd be around 200MB...)

    [Blocked Image: http://philipk.net/tutorials/ndo/tools_example_03.jpg]

    PSD: http://philipk.net/tutorials/ndo/Example_03.psd

    Tutorial: http://philipk.net/tutorials/ndo/ndo.html

    Wow that's impressive!!

  • nDo - Normal creation toolkit

    • Minos
    • October 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM

    Damn that's really impressive!! Thanks for releasing it guys

  • Minecraft

    • Minos
    • October 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

    wish i could build sentry guns that would own

  • Jason Mojica - Designer (**updated** 10-7-2010)

    • Minos
    • October 5, 2010 at 1:48 PM

    #2 definitely. I hate not being able to tell what I'm going to see before clicking a thumbnail (#1) and #3 feels too cluttered.

    I also think all gallery pages should be like this: http://www.generalvivi.com/levels/source_maps.html definitely a lot easier to navigate, I hate thumbnails!!

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Minos
    • October 5, 2010 at 1:44 PM

    Awesome, congrats

  • Ubisoft confirms closure of Brazil studios

    • Minos
    • October 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    Quote from 2d-chris

    Get your ass to europe M~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    why not

    I'll probably be doing the one prop a day thingy and maybe a realistic environment before I apply to all places though. The application of a friend of mine to a AAA studio in canada got turned down because he didn't have any realistic pieces in his portfolio... and he's incredibly talented and experienced. Go figure.

  • listen up, scum!

    • Minos
    • October 3, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    Quote from hessi

    he didn't even notice

    perhaps he's so busy working on his game that he didn't even notice it's his birthday!

  • Sci-Fi Spaceship w/tileable texture elements workflow

    • Minos
    • October 2, 2010 at 9:11 PM

    Tiling textures ftw!

    Some things you can do to improve your model:

    - Bake AO to vertex colors or to a separate map using the 2nd uv channel

    - Use vertex colors for color variation

    - You could add some trims here and there because it looks rather obvious where the tiling texture ends in some places, specially in the inner part of the ship

    - Create a second texture for decals. Stuff as signs, texts or maybe even windows with an emissive map to add that extra layer of detail

    - Texture maps could use some polish. The edges are too bright on the diffuse, the specular has way too much contrast and the glossiness too much variation. That doesnt make much sense, since every metal tile is supposed to be made from the same type of metal so more uniform spec/gloss maps are expected.

    Here's some good reference on the same subject.

  • listen up, scum!

    • Minos
    • October 2, 2010 at 3:37 PM

    Happy birthday man~~

  • Valve creates micro-transaction steam support

    • Minos
    • October 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM

    That's infuriating. The first time valve disappoints me.

  • Ubisoft confirms closure of Brazil studios

    • Minos
    • October 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    Quote from Buddy

    Is that the reason for that little portfolio piece you've done awhile ago?It's sad to hear that its closing down especially that it feels like it opened like a week ago.

    I saw it coming months ago when Ubisoft announced the company would focus on core franchises only. We had just jumped from a casual project to another and that didn't smell good so I began to save money and started that UDK scene to have something up-to-date with my current skill level in case something bad happened.

    When I was officially told the studio was closing down I gave my udk level that extra boost and put a new portfolio site together. I'm still working on it, that's why I haven't posted on mapcore yet but you guys can check it out on http://www.thiagoklafke.com.

    It's really a shame this studio is being shut down. I worked with amazingly talented people during the past 2 years who unfortunately didn't have a chance to shine due to the nature of the projects and other things I can't talk about now.

    But yeah, life goes on. I'm glad I wasn't caught off guard on this one.

  • Ubisoft confirms closure of Brazil studios

    • Minos
    • October 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    Quote from Tisky

    Mino, go to Sweden, then i will buy you a beer!

    If only Grin still existed...

  • Ubisoft confirms closure of Brazil studios

    • Minos
    • October 1, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    Quote

    Ubisoft has confirmed to Joystiq that "development activities in its Brazilian studios will ramp down by the end of this year." The publisher states that due to the current market conditions, it can't "achieve the goals initially set for the studios." There is no set date when the Brazil shops will close, but it will be before the end of the calendar year.There are currently 25 people working between the two studios in Brazil, who are "finishing DS and PSP projects which they will see to completion." The company could not confirm the official number of layoffs, as "some" team members may take positions at other Ubi studios.

    The Brazil studios had worked on the casual Imagine series, which doesn't currently fit in with the company's focus on major franchises -- a priority for the major, new (subsidized) Toronto studio.

    Ubisoft plans to continue its business presence in Brazil and is "currently evaluating opportunities." Overall, the publisher states that its "production headcount" should remain stable this year.

    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/30/ubiso ... alendar-y/

    Yep I'll lose my job soon. If anyone knows of any regular environment art openings in Canada or Europe please let me know

  • Minecraft

    • Minos
    • September 29, 2010 at 1:58 AM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    o___O

  • KotH_Switcheroo Beta 4

    • Minos
    • September 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM

    Massive bump here but I wanted to say this is one of the best KOTH maps ever!! It has become everyone's favorite KOTH map here at the office.

    However I noticed we were playing an old version (beta2) and I think the atmosphere is much better in beta2 than in beta3 so you should definitely return to that.

    On another note, offblast is everyone's favourite arena map so that means you are a kickass level designer

    insta for president~

  • Minecraft

    • Minos
    • September 25, 2010 at 3:49 AM

    That owns Hourences

  • Minecraft

    • Minos
    • September 23, 2010 at 2:14 PM

    I can only think about this game all day

  • Legal / copyright questions

    • Minos
    • September 22, 2010 at 7:23 PM

    Seems like a case for Cooper & Norman!

    Jokes aside I wouldn't publish the level right away since it involves other parties (Crytek). I don't think Crytek would like to see people releasing CryEngine 3 screenshots without authorization.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Minos
    • September 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=835&pictureid=11309]

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™