1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • Mac or PC ?

    • Izuno
    • December 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM

    FWIW:


    I started building my own PCs before some mapcorians were born. Always been a PC / windows guy.


    In July 2006 all the laptops seemed like shit so I bought a Macbook Pro (MBP). Ran bootcamp with WinXP. Hardware lasted 4 years....it was glorious.


    In Nov 2010 I bought another MBP to replace the 2006 version. Bootcamp again...with WinXP again. Amazing results


    In Nov 2014 (about 4 weeks ago) I bought a retina-MBP (rMBP)...bootcamp again but now with Windows 7.

    http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MGXC2LL/A&step=config#

    Got the 2.8 ghz option. Also bought an external optical drive to install Win7 OEM (64bit) from a disc. (use whatever PC OS you want).


    Then you get both Mac and Windows. Windows under bootcamp, imo, runs better than parallels or whatever other stuff people use to switch. However, I don't need the Mac side...I need the windows side for various database software I code in...and then the entire reason Microsoft has not gone out of business: Excel. the Mac version of Excel is nerfed and you can't code VB in it like you can on the windows version. I run a ton of optimization and data processing code through Excel hooked up to mySQL databases through homebrew web protocols that is simply not possible in Mac Excel. If it weren't for that I might be a Mac OS user...but then there is the broader selection of games on windows through Steam and shitzles.


    Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

  • Dragon Age: Inquisition

    • Izuno
    • December 2, 2014 at 5:58 AM

    DA:O $10 on steam...guess that answers that question. But can get DA:I for 25% off (PS4/Xbone/etc) on Amazon right now ("Cybermonday" deal)...

  • Dragon Age: Inquisition

    • Izuno
    • December 1, 2014 at 4:59 PM

    So I loved Mass Effect 2 and 3...enjoyed Star Wars ToR (for 30 days then bailed) and the old KOTOR games. Should I go for this game? I'm more of a "shooter" gamer but I also enjoy open world beat-downs like Arkham City. Never touched a DA game before.

  • Star Wars

    • Izuno
    • November 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM

    This thread!!!

  • The Jurassic World

    • Izuno
    • November 26, 2014 at 6:32 PM

    "Genetically Modified"


    Topical. Controversial. Likely included in script and trailer to just maximize audience reach. That term alone will get people to literally turn their head to the screen if it is on in the background when someone else is watching. Trust me....this shit is tested to death in focus groups and panels etc. Every microsecond in that trailer was engineered (like in every other movie durrr).


    Or they did it for the lulz.

  • The Jurassic World

    • Izuno
    • November 25, 2014 at 10:08 PM

    If Jurassic Park were made today by Legendary Films, this is how it would be.


    Killing time while a server script runs...so this makes me think of this:


    suit #1: "What makes us sound more important than the word 'epic' to use in the name of our company?"

    suit #2: "Yeah there is that game developer in North Carolina called 'Epic Studios' or 'Epic Games' or something. They're pretty successful so we can't use 'epic' in the name of our company since we need our own name and identity and shit."

    suit #1: "Yeah, bro, totally agree. All I want is that people think of this company as incredibly important, that we, the executives, are incredibly important people. What's more, uh, epic, than the word 'epic' itself?"

    suit #2: "Goddamn that is a totally important point."

    suit #1: "It was a question."

    suit #2: "...goddamn you are smart. I mean like epic smart."

    suit #1: "I got it. We are legends. We are so goddamn smart it's like we're legends."

    suit #2: "Epic. That is totally epic thinking, bro."

    suit #1: "Fucking dipshit. We are Legends Films!"

    suit #2: "That's totally epi--I mean...uh...legendary. That's a legendary idea."

    suit #1: "Legendary Films."

    suit #2: ".......................................................epic, bro."

    suit #1: "Totally epic."

  • World of Warcraft : Warlords of Draenor

    • Izuno
    • November 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM

    I have a key. Now just need to download (have to start from scratch since this is a new machine so might let it run overnight...)


    what have i done...?

  • Christopher Nolan‘s Interstellar

    • Izuno
    • November 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM

    Saw it two nights ago with my wife. While we both really liked the acting and the concept my wife nodded off for a few minutes. (3 hour movie...she can sleep through anything.) Even though she stayed awake for almost all of it she still peppered me with questions about wtf was going on in this thing.


    While I really enjoyed the movie, explaining it made me realize Interstellar is kind of Inception to Inception, mainly due to the

    Quote

    time dilation that turned an hour into 7 years on that planet with the massive tidal waves

    and etc. I understand but when they explained that I realize now that that was one of the times my wife nodded off.


    Otherwise thumbs up.

  • Heroes of the Storm

    • Izuno
    • November 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM

    In related MOBA news, EA cancelled Dawngate.


    Notice as of now at http://www.ea.com/dawngate there is no mention of that.


    But then http://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-dawngate


    A bit off topic from HotS but still is is related given how hard it is to compete in MOBA now. Very few operators in the space have the resources to compete with LoL and Dota 2. As I have said Blizzard is likely the only one who can really pull something off and EA, in theory, is another given they do at least have money and a lot of smart people but shit, MOBA ain't easy to compete in from a product development perspective.

  • Windows 7 on Apple Bootcamp with Retina

    • Izuno
    • November 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM

    Actually I think I am okay for now. I tweaked some settings in Win7 and the external monitor, while not retina, still looks pretty good. The fundamental problem is the monitor itself (a Samsung TV) just doesn't have enough resolution. I'm probably going to need to buy something pricey, possibly an Apple display but I've since been reading up on how a lot of people have been getting this to work.


    If I figure anything else out I'll bump this thread.

  • Windows 7 on Apple Bootcamp with Retina

    • Izuno
    • November 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM

    After many years of devotion to Windows XP I finally upgraded to Windows 7 (64bit Professional). Since 2006, this is my 3rd macbook pro running Bootcamp. The last two MBPs lasted 4 years each. Anyway here are the basic specs on the new laptop:


    • 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    • 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    • Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory


    Question:

    The new MBP has retina and the native resolution is 2880x1800 which is nice but goddam the fonts are too small. So yes I fiddled with them but the real issue is that I use an external monitor that I extend my desktop to that has native resolution of 1920x1080. (basically it's 1080p)


    The external monitor looks fine, except everything is the tiniest bit blurry. I'm thinking the solution is a 4k monitor and I just increase the font size, along with simply getting a bigger monitor. Anyone have experience with Bootcamp running secondary monitor on a native retina MBP? Got a suggestion on monitors how best to do this?

  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

    • Izuno
    • November 5, 2014 at 5:33 AM

    I haven't taken it online on PS4 yet because I'm still afraid of the PS4 2.00 patch and all the horrible things it supposedly does. They fix that yet?


    http://kotaku.com/six-days-later…prob-1654035458


    Sorry if that takes us a bit off topic.

  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

    • Izuno
    • November 4, 2014 at 12:52 AM

    So bought it today at Gamestop (PS4). Got the day zero edition on disc despite having not pre-ordered. Guess activision stuffed the hell out of the channel though that's not surprising. Haven't loaded it up yet...waiting for my kids to go the fuck to sleep.

  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

    • Izuno
    • November 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    Quote from Mazy

    Yeah, got it as well for PS4. Really in the mood for something like COD right now, good dumb shooter action, probably helps that I skipped Ghosts and that this is getting pretty good reviews~~


    Yeah Ghosts totally bummed me out and I didn't bother finishing it (in fact I just rented it). Sorry to all the good folks at I.W. I still <3 you!


    I'm feeling saucy and since Activision isn't going to send me a free one until maybe mid 2015 f-it i may just buy it.


    Question is...do I buy a disc? Digital DL? PS4? XBONE? Steam? Probably PS4....


    ...and I'm thinking disc since back in my day we hiked 3 days uphill, in the snow, with no shoes to get our discs and by gar that's the way we liked it.

  • Respawn Entertainment's - Titanfall

    • Izuno
    • October 25, 2014 at 7:44 AM

    Played Frontier Defense tonight (Xbox One) after having not touched the game in a while. Yep, it's a horde mode but I had fun with it. I like that it was free...a good gesture from Respawn. I think this is a long haul franchise for them and to really grow they are going to have to add a single player campaign which I know they had, have been, were, are, will be talking about else implementing. As much as we kind of disregarded the story in Titanfall there is a lot to work with here...but how the Titans are used in SP is tricky and I'm so tired right now...will leave it at zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

  • Respawn Entertainment's - Titanfall

    • Izuno
    • October 24, 2014 at 12:42 AM

    Intriguing, this is.

  • Alien: Isolation

    • Izuno
    • October 22, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    Quote from Mazy

    Finally finished it, it's not a bad game but I find it pretty damn hard to love it. The peak of the entire game is still the medical facility, which only makes me wish that the game had been perhaps 4-5 of those kinds of moments and experiences with some traversal, exploration and minor human/android encounters to bind it together. I can't help but keep hitting on this over again and again, but to me it feels like they've got most of the building blocks in place to make the perfect Alien game, but stretched themselves thin and just didn't manage to fit it together in an elegant and seamless way, and to use the cliché then they went for quantity over quality. It's still the best Alien game ever, but it could've been so much better.


    I still haven't played it yet due to childhood Alien viewing trauma (see earlier post in this thread) but this really makes me wonder what the mod scene could do with this game.... just sayin..

  • Alien: Isolation

    • Izuno
    • October 21, 2014 at 5:08 PM

    ....................................................................................................................................................ok so this hard for me to write but here goes.


    When I was 6 years old over Thanksgiving we visited my aunt/uncle/cousin in the Midwest (that's in America, you uh, non-Americans who might not know) as we did every year. It snowed a lot that weekend so the adults rented a stack of movies. Somehow they dug out the original Alien from the "Horror Classics Old and New" section at the local Blockbuster. Late Friday night after turkey soup and leftover pie, they put Alien on in the family room after all the kids were supposed to be a sleep. I heard the TV during what I later figured out was the chestbursting scene so I came upstairs to see what the hubub was about. I watched a dialogue scene, got bored, went downstairs...couldn't sleep...came back up later during the air vent scene and watched this:


    [Blocked Image: http://www.clickformedia.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Alien9.jpg]


    By Sunday everyone was commenting how it seemed I hadn't slept since Thursday.


    So yeah...been avoiding this game....

  • HATRED

    • Izuno
    • October 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM

    Well I wish my 2 year old didn't get up at 3am to take a dump in the toilet....for 45 minutes...cause I am freaking tired as hell but wtf here goes....


    Killing unarmed, innocent people (or even unarmed guilty people) in games always gives me pause. Even way back to the original Half-Life I just couldn't bring myself to shoot the scientists for no reason. War, combat, killing things that are trying to kill you...yeah...in a game I can get that and of course we've all done that in games for yea- no, eons. Epochs, even.


    A few times in GTA I said fuck it and started killing civilians...and then the cops come in droves. And most of the time I'd just keep shooting and killing and then get killed. I didn't feel so bad getting killed in the game cause wtf i just blew away all these NPCs getting coffee and shit and well my character deserved it. It felt somewhat real to me, and it made me feel good that I felt bad for killing NPCs because it reminded me I am a good person who cares about other human beings....even if a game is just a meaningless simulation at the end of the day.


    But in this game, it just feels like a celebration of narcissistic, insane superiority with absolutely zero shred of humanity.

    And here is my personal problem with that:


    I want my games to mean something. I like games that cause me to learn something about characters, people, myself, my ideas etc. that hopefully will teach me a reason to be more positive, hopeful and better. I want to think about issues in society that will hopefully inspire people to question why things are the way they are and further inspire people to want to make the world better. Kinda flowery and rainbow unicorn-y. Yeah, I get it. I'm a skeptic, not a cynic.


    I have two small children. Every day when I drop my daughter off at kindergarten I think about her safety, and how I love her with all my heart.


    Things like this basically say "let's celebrate all the school shooters, all the narcissistic psychos and make this behavior fun!"


    Or is it not trying to do that? Doesn't seem like it. I have to be brutally honest, if I were hiring a game developer and they told me they made this game and loved it and found nothing wrong with it and that they could not see why anyone would at least find it objectionable and then start denouncing anyone who had a problem with it, I wouldn't hired that person simply due to a conflict in my personal moral code.


    Why? Because deep down I would be worried about that person's values, that it says somewhere they believe that the behavior in this simulation is okay. Or said another way, it makes me wonder if that person fantasizes about going on killing sprees themselves. I just don't want to be around that or celebrate that. I suppose it is okay to have thoughts but if you are thinking about that, and thinking about that a lot, you have issues with anger. I find people like that ultimately very toxic even if they never touch a weapon or harm another person ever in their life.


    And finally the flip side...there is something fascinating in watching that trailer, like watching a horrible car crash in slow motion. When I watched it I really felt bad and thought about my kids and their schools and how I hope all the kids in their schools are free from bullying...then I thought about wanting to be a guest teacher at the school on how to recognize when you are bullying someone and what to do if you are being bullied. So bravo for making me think something positive after watching this.


    Still wouldn't ever buy it but having said all that...hope the devs enjoy their right of expression. We'll just have to sit back and see what happens.


    Damn i need coffee.

  • Alien: Isolation

    • Izuno
    • October 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM

    Shopping list:

    18 pack jumbo paper towels

    24 pack bulk underpants

    Tide Ultra UF-plus (urine and fecal matter from underpants removal ingredient)

    Alien: Isolation for PS4

    Bucket

    Bulk garbage bags

    2 copies of Ace Ventura Pet Detective (just in case the first one breaks)

    My Little Pony anything

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™