1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • Gothic III

    • Izuno
    • July 12, 2006 at 11:49 PM

    Anyone have any opinions about Gothic III?

    I'm trying to get a sense of how interested people are in this game (or not). Essentially, it is a PC RPG game that should strongly appeal to fans of TES IV: Oblivion.

    Links:

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6151097.html

    http://www.gothic3.com

    Thanks!

  • Lost Planet demo

    • Izuno
    • July 12, 2006 at 5:24 PM

    Tried the demo again...actually I like it more this time, thought the only time to play it is late late at night after a 16 hour day of work so the sound is way down so I haven't listed to the audio much yet.

    I think it still has issues, but I'm liking it more...

  • Top 10 Video Games Weapon List

    • Izuno
    • July 11, 2006 at 10:29 PM
    Quote from Oski

    they claim that the railgun was first introduced in quake 2. Wasnt there a similar railgun in Shadow warrior?

    good question...the first railgun I remember was Quake 2. Man was that fun. That was back in the day when I used to play Q2 MP on a LAN with a bunch of people who had not figured out how to use the mouse in an FPS and were still using keyboard only for aiming and strafing. For a while they would gang up on me 5 vs 1 and it was like Fatal1ty playing the PC Gamer staff in anything...but then they figured out it oh the glory days...

  • Lost Planet demo

    • Izuno
    • July 11, 2006 at 6:09 PM

    Recently Lost Planet demo came out on Xbox Live. I saw it at E3 in Capcom's booth and was intrigued by the snow/weather effects, but I only saw it for a minute at the show.

    Now that I got to play the demo, I must admit I'm a little dissapointed. I still think it has potential, but so far the demo hasn't blown me away. The idea of this snow barren wasteland planet is mega cool, but there were a few things about the demo that irked me.

    1. Controls are a bit wonky. I don't like how you turn your torso 30 degrees before you turn for real. I guess it just takes getting used to and with the auto aim it doesn't make it that hard. With that the shoulder buttons are snap-turn 90 degrees left or right. I hardly used, ye, shoulder buttons.

    2. Footprints don't stay in the snow. They fade out after a few minutes. Would be really cool to have to track an ememy by its footprints, or have to find a way to elude enemies hunting you by cleverly not leaving tracks or something. Maybe that is in the full game but not in the demo.

    3. Those crawly bug monsters were pretty lame and easy to kill. Concept of them was very Starship Troopers.

    4. Were there any physics in the game? I really don't remember. I'd love to see physics based gameplay tied in with the snowy ambience et all. Would be cool if snow could "pile up" or build up against structures over the course of a level, but that may be a little tedious to implement. In general I'd love to see more with the snow effects. Again, it's just a demo but...

    This makes me want to see the next Splinter Cell game with what appeared to be an interesting Arctic level I recall from E3. Of course, when they were demoing on the show floor there was this repeating bug that forced them to reboot. LoL! gg Ubisoft! Seriously, I still want to play that game.

    Thoughts?

  • Prey Demo

    • Izuno
    • July 11, 2006 at 5:58 PM

    just read the Gamespot review....they didn't like it that much. As I predicted, not a bad game, just not the best of all time. From the reviews (both good and moderate) the game does feel like another Doom3 type experience but with some different gameplay :roll: I admit that's not all bad but this game isn't going to be a huge hit based on the vibe I'm getting about it from reading the reviews. At this point I'd love to rent it on 360 since it's hard to rent on PC.

    Thoughts?

  • [o*] Vacation Pictures 06 (56k NOPE)

    • Izuno
    • July 10, 2006 at 11:47 PM

    WOW! Awesome work. I bow to thee, sir. Just awesome.

  • Top 10 Video Games Weapon List

    • Izuno
    • July 10, 2006 at 5:55 PM

    i dunno...i love the grav gun in HL2...but for some reason my favorite weapons (aside from original Doom plasma rifle) are:

    1. Lightsabre in the Jedi Knight games.

    2. Nail gun and Lava Nail gun in original Quake. Maybe cause they took NIN ammo...but just the idea of that was so bad ass to me.

  • New HL2 developer tool

    • Izuno
    • July 10, 2006 at 5:51 PM

    Sounds interesting. Would love to check it out :)

  • The World Cup 2006 thread

    • Izuno
    • July 9, 2006 at 7:50 AM

    wow what a game today! so exciting. Congrats to Germany!!!

    Can't wait to watch France / Italy. Personally I don't give a crap who wins I just hope for an exciting game. Beats the hell out of watching Barry Bonds strike out or hit a home run every 7000 at bats these days!

  • The World Cup 2006 thread

    • Izuno
    • July 5, 2006 at 4:40 AM

    i missed the entire game EXCEPT the OT. what a finish!

  • XP on a Macbook

    • Izuno
    • July 4, 2006 at 5:33 PM
    Quote from Polaris

    Who would a thunk it . Windows and Mac = good combination? :0

    Intel Dual Core in all new Macs

  • XP on a Macbook

    • Izuno
    • July 4, 2006 at 5:21 AM

    Just got a new Macbook Pro because I needed a new laptop for consulting work. Using Apple's bootcamp, I partitioned the drive roughly in half and loaded XP Pro SP2 on the other partition. So far it seems to run Windows better than my desktop. I haven't loaded any games yet, but from what I hear it runs HL2 amazingly.

    For now, it runs some database software flawlessly, stuff that has a lot of multidimensional math calculations. Once I get steam on it I'll try out HL2 and the SDK, Hammer etc and report back. Truly awesome stuff!

  • DoD: Source update tonight

    • Izuno
    • June 30, 2006 at 6:09 PM

    A lot of us here have worked on DoD in one form or another over the years. By the time I joined as a mapper there was already significant debate between among the dev team and LDs about it. Generally map design was the best solution, but not always possible given the intention of the map.

    God knows my two maps in DoD "classic" had iffy spawn camp protection. On dod_switch I put colored smoke and gave a warning message to the offending team they were headed into enemy spawn...if they went to far they got insta-killed. not the most elegant solution, but the design of Switch made it hard to fullcap anyway (which made it not a pubber favority) so attackers never really focused much on the spawn camp.

    I think the big question is at what point is it fair to start shooting the enemy should you be in their half of the map. A lot of people draw the line at whether the victims are in the "spawn area" or not. but where does the spawn area end and "fair game area" begin? not always clear.

    But this is an age old issue that may never get resolved. Even on a really well designed map it may be possible for someone to kill the enemy while they are still in the spawn area. As long as it doesn't dominate the gameplay, I don't think it's a major issue. Part of the responsibility falls on the spawning player to be aware of what combat areas they are walking into just outside the spawn. :roll:

  • DoD: Source update tonight

    • Izuno
    • June 29, 2006 at 1:11 AM
    Quote from Fletch

    My main annoyance with the -dxlevel 80 fix is that it removes texture shaded as a rendering option in Hammer for me, so looking at a room full of the same fullbright texture gives me a headache.

    Oh i just vomit in a pail from all the fullbright...then I leave that pail behind the boiler or something...let it fester and rot some more...then I seal it plastic wrap (yeah...kinda awkward) then I put it in a box and mail it to Valve and include a note that reads: "OWNED"

    Or I just deal with it and recall the old days when there wasn't even model preview available in WorldCraft. But yeah it does suck that it hasn't been updated. Probably a resource issue

  • DoD: Source update tonight

    • Izuno
    • June 28, 2006 at 8:08 PM
    Quote from Furyo

    That's the same for DoD:S, but it's a directX related issue, which you can easily solve by adding -dxlevel 80 to your Hammer shortcut. I know I don't have any issues with the SDK since I fixed that.

    Yes that fixed my hammer issue as well. Works great!

  • The Ship

    • Izuno
    • June 28, 2006 at 5:23 PM

    I really hope this idea is good. It looks like it could be a lot of fun in Source.

  • DoD: Source update tonight

    • Izuno
    • June 28, 2006 at 5:20 PM
    Quote from generalvivi

    in soviet russia hostages save you!

    LOL!

    I, like insta, have a special fancy for DoD:S. can't wait for the update!!!

    Insta: I hope one day you have a map in a DoD:S update. your stuff rocks!

  • Burnin the American flag

    • Izuno
    • June 28, 2006 at 5:18 AM
    Quote from Polaris

    That would just remove the exuses for war. The wars would still be fought for the same reasons they have always been truly fought for. War predates civilization, nations and organized religion, we have been waging it for much longer than we would like to believe.

    true, there is probably a deeper cause of war within humans.

  • Quakecon 2006 Signups

    • Izuno
    • June 28, 2006 at 5:14 AM

    generally Quake Con is always the place where public gets first chance to play latest upcoming game from the id / quake / doom universe. Some of my friends at Activision have gone several times...said it is a blast.

  • Lookie what I found...

    • Izuno
    • June 28, 2006 at 12:40 AM

    my dad has the same camera...though it has been mostly retired because he has a few digital cameras he uses instead. take some sweet pics with that...post them in digital form so we can bask in its glory!

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™