Of course I'm biased but it's still my favorite team based shooter game of all time. I can't believe it was almost a decade ago I worked on that...wow.
Posts by Izuno
-
-
-
Getting more press: http://%7boption%7d
-
Actually that is very pertinent.
-
I'm trying to a sense from devs at various studios how studio management works with publisher marketing departments. I know from my days in-house both on the marketing side, and then working at an internal studio, that getting trailer assets (renders, footage, builds, etc.) for purposes of marketing/PR was just about always a tense process. Usually it was the marketing guys complaining they weren't getting enough from the studio and the studio guys would say "what's the point?" or "we don't have time/resources to get you what you need" and etc.
So any dev's have a perspective on this? This is more of a game development cultural question. Some of my clients are good about this, and some are absolutely terrible. Would love some input if anyone has good war stories of success/failure in this area.
-
The reality is that people (kids and adults) tend to move from system to system in waves. Not all at the same time, mind you, but the market really can accommodate both mobile phone gaming and dedicated portable game system gaming. Part of the reason the DS and PSP have been declining is due to their age. And piracy. And shitty games on PSP. But really it's the age. People just get sick of them. They grow out of them especially if they first get a DS when they young. Imagine a 9 year old who got a DS in 2005. That kid is a full on teenager know. If that kid is a dude, he'll probably want or already have an Xbox 360 or PS3 etc. Or maybe he scored an iPod Touch. If that kid is a girl, odds are she stopped playing games (as much) and now has a iPod Touch or maybe even a phone capable of texting. Whatever. But if a new portable game system comes out that is cool for whatever reason, such as Nintendo stuff in 3D or the NGP (which is a defacto portable PS3 with dual analog sticks and etc. features) the kids are likely to want one. Whether they get one or not, new hardware gets people excited, even if the price, features and available initial software aren't necessarily rolled out properly.
The point is that while there certainly has been some DS/PSP cannibalization by mobile phone gaming, that does not mean future portable gaming systems won't have any chance. Will the 3DS ever sell as many as the DS? I don't know but it ain't gonna just sit on the shelves and die.
-
Quote from Psy
Another new memory format. Fucking hell, Sony. When will you ever learn?
Well that brings up an interesting question. Obviously the UMD was a failure. And for the NGP, Sony is talking about it running PS3 games like Uncharted etc. Isn't that a multigig game? And any other major PS3 retail game will also be multigig so anything like that for the NGP will not sell well over 3G or WiFi connected download (is any PS3 game you buy in a BluRay not multigig?) The NGP is not a stationary PC and shit, how much do digitally distributed retail sized games sell through non retail channels?
So once again Sony has the same issue as any past dedicated handheld game device (or console): distribution. Given the size of the games, that means retail. Now, if the new format works fine and is easy to use, is it really any different from any other format just because it's new? Sure, the UMD failed as a new distribution method for movies, but if you want a PSP game and buy the game at retail, does the UMD totally let you down? I mean, you get your game, you stick it in the PSP, you play. Same deal as a DS game you buy at retail.
I'm taking this on a tangent and I don't mean to sound like I'm invalidating your comment. I think you are dead on about the unspoken concern that Sony once again might try to come up with some new standard they want everyone to use for non gaming applications...such as Blu-Ray which is the only Sony standard that really took off. I'm hoping Sony gets the sentiment you and so many others have expressed and just make the format really good for what's needed with the NGP and if other devices or companies adopt it then awesome. Gold star for Sony.
But if the thing works and is convenient, I don't really care what it is.
-
Quote from Jetsetlemming
That's what NGP stands for? There is no groan big or loud enough.
Yeah at first I heard "NGP" was not the final name, kinda like back in early 2005 Microsoft was still calling the 360 the "Xenon" until they unveiled the actual name..."Xbox 360" and we said, "wut about Xbox 2" and they were like "no we done research of the markets and 360 is like better than 2" and we were like..."oh. whatever."
Anyway...now it seems like "NGP" is it? Fo' real?
-
No thread on NGP yet?
official site as of now: http://%7boption%7d
some coverage at IG: http://%7boption%7d
Basic info courtesy IG at http://%7boption%7d:
QuoteDisplay MoreExternal Dimensions: 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (still tentative)
CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 Quad-Core
GPU: SGX543MP4+
Screen: 5 inch front OLED multi-touch screen (16:9), 960 x 544, 16 million colors, OLED
Controls: Rear touch pad. Directional Pad, Dual analog sticks, two shoulder buttons, four face buttons, Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope & three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass.
Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
Sound: Built-in stereo speakers & microphone
Connectivity: 3G, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth 2.1
Games will come on a brand-new Flash-based storage medium, with UMD being sidelined for this generation. No price or specific release date for the system was given, though Sony expects the system to be out in Japan this holiday season.
My take is that this could potentially be the portable hi-def gaming system I've been waiting for due to the processing power and the dual analog sticks that makes console style action and shooter games realistically playable. I never liked SOCOM etc on the original PSP, and the virtual shooter controls on iPhones is totally meh. The price may be an issue since many are speculating that it will be at least $299 which is a lot for a handheld...but imagine being able to play games like Uncharted wherever you want? Definitely something to think about despite that this system is unproven as of yet. And there are other issues around software cost for portable games, actual battery life, how rugged/durable it will actually be, will the optional 3G be worth it or even effective and etc.
-
Eh I don't mind Michelle Rodriguez being in this. Her character felt a little odd in Avatar but I attribute that to crappy writing (no offence Mr. Cameron...i still saw your opus in the theatre 3 times and somehow i have the blue-ray
).As mentioned earlier in this thread, it has a District 9 vibe going for it. My only hope is that if everything about the movie is great, I want the cinematography to be not so tight like in District 9. Something this epic needs to let us see the scope of the action. Judging by the trailer I'm guessing it won't be a problem, but shit you never know.
-
-
hi 3boy. Trolling for new clients?

-
Interestingly, GTA IV and I Red Dead Redemption used Image Metrics for facial animation...obviously both Rockstar games. This is a different technology and it appears more advanced from what IM could do a few years ago when GTA IV was in development. I already want this game based on what little we've seen of it due to the tech...though I hope that is enough to carry the whole game.
-
I tried to stealth kill as much as possible because I liked watching the melee animations, plus hearing Drake's quips were nice too. And I liked how you could do the same in MP, at least when you could sneak up on an unaware player.
The other thing I really liked about Uncharted2 was the use of 3D space in the level design. Sure, the train level was literally very linear, but at least you could climb outside the windows and get on top. The urban section in the middle of the game was absolutely stunning in this regard, though many areas of the game had great level design. No game is perfect in this department given how hard it is...I suppose the Half Life games in their respective eras (1998 is a different era than 2004 in video game time? Wow...) were great benchmarks for SP level design.
-
I like how they kept it simple with the title.
-
Quote from D3ads
Very underwhelmed by that trailer.. I mean it's nicely done but the gameplay footage was pointless since it showed absolutely nothing, guess they're still in early stages.Btw Uncharted 1 is definately inferior to the second but it's still a good game and it helps to paint a picture of the person Drake is, plus Walter's in it a lot more, he doesn't have much of a role in the second in comparison.
Agreed about being underwhelmed by the trailer (it's only a teaser) but for this series I can cut it slack (for now...)
The characters are half the reason why I like the series and Naughty Dog / Sony knows the core Uncharted fanbase understands this appeal. So they are just teasing us because they know they can get away with it, even if we are a little disappointed right now. All it does is put the pressure on them to really deliver, such as at GDC, E3 etc. in 2011.
-
grrr waiting until Nov next year. Sigh.
As for Uncharted and Uncharted 2, the first is definitely not as good as the second but if you have a PS3 it's worth a rental or else you can buy it cheap now anyway. The second game is a must play for sure.
-
-
Quote from Taylor
Not sure if you can compare it to Forza. GT5 is a car collecting game for Top Gear fans with OCD.
Yeah...that's pretty much it. I gave a copy to my cousin last night at our holiday party and today he's "home sick" from work grinding his toon to 80 and playin' GT5. Already he is slobbering to get the in game Civic SI. And I get the appeal though I'm not the gearhead he is. I played the crap out of GT3...my 450hp Beetle hauled ass and was stupid fun.

-
GT3 was one of the games I played the most on the PS2. Probably my favorite racing game of all time and the modding aspect was definitely fun. It's like RPGing for cars. Since then I haven't enjoyed modding in any other racing game quite like it.
Anyway, I haven't been into racing games much this generation of consoles but I'm thinking it's either GT5 or maybe DiRT 3 as has been mentioned. DiRT was quite excellent imho though I didn't play it as much as I should have.
At minimum, I will prob rent GT5 since I skipped GT5prologue.

My only question about GT5 is about 3D. I played it for 30 seconds at E3 in a 3D setup and at the time I was so distracted by getting the 3D glasses to work it ruined the experience which was sad because I couldn't give the game a fair shake before I had to go to a meeting.
Anyone here have a 3D setup for their PS3 or is planning on getting such a setup? Otherwise, anyone give GT5 a serious go in 3D at a friend's place or somewhere else? Curious about reactions, if any.