Posts by Izuno
-
-
I have not watched the latest in your post above, Mazy. Tho i'll probably end up watching at some point tomorrow...

Meanwhile...PS3 just got a $50 price cut in the US (and similar cuts elsewhere in the world). So....if you don't have a PS3 and:
a) You are not some crazy OMG XBOX360 OR DEATH fanboy and...
b) You like good console-y action-y games with guns and decent writing/story etc...
c) You have the money to afford the equivalent of $250 wherever you happen to live (plus applicable taxes, etc.)
d) and can go a step further and afford just 1 game to go with said PS3...
This is a great reason to buy a PS3 (assuming you meet the above criteria). However, if you absolutely hate Sony and high quality console games, then skip it. Your loss, bud.

-
Quote from 2d-chris
wot crock o'shit - actually average purchase prob is 38, parents buying games for their kids
I know a "few" 38+ actual gamers, but 90% under 30 ...As I said, they are including people who played 5 minutes of Angry Birds and nothing else as a "gamer" in their analysis. Average age of a Call of Duty or World of Warcraft gamer? Or typical console action game? Yeah, it's under 30 for sure.
So in other words, you are correct that the report's average gamer age is really misleading and they are mixing apples and oranges and that doesn't paint the correct picture. Thus, take it with a grain of salt.
-
After working on a big analysis of the shooter genre for a client, and reviewing various Black Ops marketing and creative materials, I got on this big 60s/70s rock music kick...so the last few days I've been watching Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket a few times each.
-
I am somewhere between
and
yet I could end up
about it...or not. -
This report blurs US retail console/handheld video game consumers with Facebook "gamers" and online PC gamers and F2P online/browser/Yahoo!/Pogo type users.
The data on sales is from NPD and that's generally pretty accurate. The usage data is where it gets a little sloppy because it's based on surveys and those don't do a great job of distinguishing out a "casual" gamer vs. a "traditional" gamer or however else you want to segment it, even though they try to do that.
Regardless of what stats it says, the average age of console gamers does grow with time as Gen-X gamers from the 80s/90s have continued to game now that they all have jobs and families. It's just they typically don't game for as long a period of time and what they play on is more than just consoles and PCs. And Gen-X's have kids now, so you get all these 30 and 40 year old dad types playing Wii or LEGO Harry Potter and what not with their kids. And that dad might play Madden/FIFA/Call of Halofield Auto 17 etc. after wife/kids go to bed. So those parents get factored into the survey that says the average age of a gamer is like 34 years old.
Segmenting the gaming market is much more complicated than it used to be and this report doesn't explain that. So don't fret. And also, it's a good thing that people continue to game as they age. Cause it helps grow overall demand for games, even if the platforms are no longer just PC/console/handheld.
-
Yes works fine for me in Chrome.
Years ago I was involved with a university setting "think tank" group dreaming up ideas for new tech businesses in the wake of the dot com crash. We talked about having some kind of camera system that would be used for 3D model/scene creation. I was convinced it could work...and I found out so were a lot of other people back then...except no one was taking it seriously.
Until we see stuff like this. This kind of thing has huge potential for game design and beyond. If this can be cracked open into a full game asset creation system I would hope it could help bring down time/cost/effort of development. Then we'll have people saying "Back in my day, we made models from scratch in 3DS-Max and that's the way we liked it. And I used to walk 8 miles each way through snow and ice with bare feet to work, too...grrrr"
-
Yeah I read up since my last post...it's a literal rental service via digital distribution. Should Valve want to do the same thing with Steam it very well could. In effect, it has before every time it's offered a "free weekend" or "weekend pass" or whatever that allows free play of a game one hasn't purchased...right?
-
But can Gamefly deliver better QOE than OnLive in places it's available? I haven't read into GF's back end...I assume they partnered for ye olde infrastructure?
-
-
Quote from Minotauro
Looks bad imo
I like the cubes and the feeling of working on a grid.There is tremendous power in the minecraft grid. It brings a sense of order and logic into the otherwise randomly generated world. You can quickly calculate/estimate distance and dimension that you could not do (as easily) in a non grid world. It brings out everyone's inner coder and there is something so satisfying about using your brain in logical ways that Minecraft offers...all due to the grid.
-
It is evolutionary at best, and derivative at worst. Oh yeah so is 99.9999999% of everything else.
That said, sure...go for it. I love Minecraft despite getting over my addiction to it and I'd be happy to see where this or similar projects progress.
Reminds me of geo-mod in Red Faction circa 2002-ish. Only more cartoon and less Mars...and stuff...
-
Rumors brewing:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/borderlands/1185609p1.html
and etc out there. Though it's been clear a sequel was in the works anyway. I'm ready for an official announcement.
-
-
wow crazy how many mapcorians have direct/indirect connections to Oslo where the bomb went off. Sorry to hear about your loss, Insta. Also am glad at least that others got out safe and esp w/child... as a father myself you have no idea how glad to hear that part. The whole event is chilling...
-
I like what I see so far.
-
The theater / distributor analogy is a bit dubious since they involve distinct external locations to consumers homes. With Origin vs. Steam etc. it's not exactly the same because you can get them all on the same system. The fact that they are different pieces of software running on a system is definitely valid, but again that isn't quite apples to apples with comparing to the film distribution / studio model. But whatever that's just one facet of this.
Otherwise, I was under the assumption that with the announcement of Origin, EA was planning to (attempt to) exclude all its PC product from Steam eventually. We'll see how it goes.
Meanwhile back on BF3 mod tools, sounds like a nightmare. I still long for the days of the goldsource mapping which I believe was a topic of another thread. :derp:
-
Played some Uncharted 3 MP beta last night. Just the airplane level but it was cool.
-
MP beta starts July 5 (sorta...isn't it open now to Playstation Plus people...etc.?)
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/18/uncha ... us-2-buye/
One of the guys at Naughty Dog I spoke to at E3 said the MP progress beta players make (ie what level you get up to) should carry over into the retail MP release. Or am I remembering that wrong? [Blocked Image: https://migrationtest.mapcore.org/public/style_emoticons/default/mapcore_smilies/emot_shakehead.gif]
Anyway, I got my beta code...can't wait!
-
Very valid point.
Based on what I'm reading, it feels like Lytro is really intended to be a consumer product...and if you are casual photographer something like this could be a lot of fun. I'm actually curious if there are any digital film applications like this already, where you take one clip and play with the focus in post. (i'm no film editor so i have no clue.) Could have some interesting casual filmmaking applications. I also think for consumer level digital surveillance systems it could have some interesting uses, if not already in products now.