1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Izuno

Posts by Izuno

  • Source Lighting

    • Izuno
    • October 12, 2004 at 6:27 PM
    Quote from Zaphod

    well, it's still there to use. I know you all get a knee jerk reaction of WTF, when there is anything contradictory to what you are used to with hl1.

    very accurate metaphor there....

    so basically, despite how much fun texture lights were in HL1, they really are obsolete in HL2...so we better get used to it?

    thanks for the info!

  • Colleges :<

    • Izuno
    • October 12, 2004 at 6:24 PM

    experience / portfolio uber alles!

  • <- The thing most of us don't have, and the one I want...

    • Izuno
    • October 12, 2004 at 6:22 PM

    The real question is where do you want to go in the long run. If you want to be a level designer--->game designer--->lead game designer--->executive producer/gaming god........then a college degree isn't always required. If and when you get to those management type positions, a college degree would probably calm potential investors should you decide to form your own studio and need money to get it started...but this is all theoretical.

    In general a degree is looked upon more favorably by larger studios and publishers in general. often major studios are owned by publishers, such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, THQ, etc... If you have enough talent and experience right now, you should be able to get a job (look at Klein with his new job at Ubi!).

    As I continue to ramble...published mod work is probably the best...as in working on a mod that "goes retail" is the best mod experience, followed by high quality "non-retail" mods.

    In other words...what Zaphod said.

  • de_ungarn

    • Izuno
    • October 12, 2004 at 12:31 AM

    agreed your map is looking great...hopefully a CS:S version is coming too!

    regarding that "thief" i'm glad to see the moderators on that forum responded to the mapcorians. good work, people.

  • game studios hiring

    • Izuno
    • October 9, 2004 at 5:32 PM

    i believe Klein sacked up and moved from Germany to Canada for a job...and he's only 18.

    That takes balls.

  • how will you buy hl2?

    • Izuno
    • October 8, 2004 at 7:21 PM
    Quote from kleinluka

    woah izuno is ripping off his company there.... tisk tisk tisk...

    as if...my boss gets one of those two copies.

  • PC Gamer Exclusive! : Insurgency (Article + New Media)

    • Izuno
    • October 8, 2004 at 7:09 PM

    way to go! hat's off to your PR people for getting the hookup with PC Gamer. the content looks great, too!

  • game studios hiring

    • Izuno
    • October 8, 2004 at 7:04 PM
    Quote from Zaphod

    Texture Artist, Content Designer / Level Artist: Iron Lore Entertainment -- Maynard, MA, United States

    http://%7boption%7d

    This is actually for a game we signed up Iron Lore to do for us. I'm actually doing the product management on it now in the early phase, though later when it gets closer to ship I may pass it off to someone on my team but I don't know yet.

    Anyway, the heads of Iron Lore did Age of Empires so they have some good experience under their belts. If you live in the Boston area check em out.

  • Photos of mine from the summer...

    • Izuno
    • October 7, 2004 at 7:03 PM

    great pics...in fact the poor quality of the camera almost makes it more interesting. nice captions too

  • How long can YOU work?

    • Izuno
    • October 7, 2004 at 7:00 PM
    Quote from The Postman

    All of us Gearbox folks (past and present) have probably pulled up the numbers for the "11-14" section.

    i think anyone in crunch time on a product about to ship has done that.

  • how will you buy hl2?

    • Izuno
    • October 7, 2004 at 6:58 PM
    Quote from InsaneSingingBlender

    no hate from me cause ill have cs source before you

    we'll i'll get a steam copy too...not that it makes sense i get both...just when doing competitive product research often i'm told "just buy what you need for research and expense it."

  • how will you buy hl2?

    • Izuno
    • October 7, 2004 at 7:09 AM

    since i'll get it free i'm getting the most expensive boxed copy possible.

    .......i await h8

  • Lipton commercial steals DE_VERTIGO

    • Izuno
    • October 5, 2004 at 7:06 PM

    it's like someone in one of their Asian offices liked CS and decided to rip it for some obscure branding website...but it makes no sense to me...

  • Stage 2 STALKER MP beta coming...sign up here space limited

    • Izuno
    • October 5, 2004 at 1:07 AM

    I'll do what I can to add stragglers at this point. It's not going to start just yet, but as soon as I have more info I'll let you know.

    I'll probably be able to squeeze in more people, but just wait and I'll keep you up to speed.

  • So I just ordered my new PC...

    • Izuno
    • October 2, 2004 at 2:30 AM

    congrats, kleineh!

    looking to the day you can play games with the rest of the world.

  • pc gamer hl2 review

    • Izuno
    • September 30, 2004 at 7:38 PM

    As I recall, Half-Life got 97% in PC Gamer (US version) back in the day.

    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/ ... alf%20life

    Doom 3 indeed got a 94% in PC Gamer (US version)

    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/ ... q=doom%203

    It's funny because despite the PC Gamer review for HL2 coming, there are people at my office who "absolutely swear that PC Gamer is wrong and the game won't ship till 2005" while others swear it is late October.

    Meanwhile I sit and wait quietly

    :roll:

  • HL2 Map Design Question: Brush or Mesh?

    • Izuno
    • September 23, 2004 at 8:37 PM
    Quote from DD

    We almost never do them ourselves. We can, but it's probably best not since we need to focus on other things.

    it all depends on how a studio divides up workload. sometimes it's faster to and better to have level designers work only on map layouts and BSP construction while having modellers build all the meshes. similar for texture artists. or a person at a studio may do everything for one map at a time.

    it all depends on the resources and the project management philosphy at the studio.

    if you are a custom mapper on your own, learn modelling, or partner up with a modeller looking to help out a level designer. same for texturing.

    pretty obvious.

  • Anyone see this Pentagon conspircay flash movie?

    • Izuno
    • September 22, 2004 at 7:03 AM

    Maybe this is EOT material, so if an admin deems it should be moved, then please move. I'm sure this will bring up all the conspiracy theories...but I've never seen this before. Anyway, the design of this thing is pretty good for a basic flash movie. Uses the Fight Club music which I thought was a good fit. As for accuracy of the theory, I'm interested in what people think.

    http://www.nixtro.com/pentagon121.swf

  • HL2 Map Design Question: Brush or Mesh?

    • Izuno
    • September 22, 2004 at 4:54 AM

    Like I said, I defer to Zaphod as a good source on Source.

    ....pun intended.

    gg Zaph!

  • Mapcore Book Club

    • Izuno
    • September 21, 2004 at 11:52 PM
    Quote from Bluestrike

    I read every book writen by Andy McNab and Matthew Reilly (just ordered the 2 latest of each)Furthermore I read any book writen by a ex-SAS and other books falling in the techno-thriller category.

    Get Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 05-6391307

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 8, 2026 at 7:49 PM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™