1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Duff-e

Posts by Duff-e

  • Brasil

    • Duff-e
    • June 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Quote from Minotauro

    Brasil FTWhttp://gawker.com/5556758/hot-new-dance ... eones-face

    Stampede death be damned, I really need to visit Brasil ASAP.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • June 7, 2010 at 8:03 AM

    I wouldn't bother with programming until you create a problem or have an idea that will inspire you to problem solve. If you're just making the tutorial programs you're gonna get bored or frustrated real fast.

    That's how it was for me at least.

  • RIP Dennis Hopper

    • Duff-e
    • May 29, 2010 at 9:50 PM

    RIP

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • What motivates us at work?

    • Duff-e
    • May 23, 2010 at 5:31 AM

    Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is destined to find a home here soon enough:

    http://%7boption%7d

    Unfortunately it's still taught to college freshman everywhere and accepted because it gives a plausible answer to a bad question.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • May 22, 2010 at 4:10 AM

    I don't know how long the warranty is but Oakley will repair the frame for free/cheap as long as you provide the lenses. Worked for me a few years ago.

    Images

    • theSatyr.webp
      • 63.73 kB
      • 960 × 960
  • What motivates us at work?

    • Duff-e
    • May 22, 2010 at 4:07 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.marshu.com/articles/images-website/articles/presidents-on-us-paper-money/one-hundred-100-dollar-bill.jpg]

  • Ironman - The Movie trailer

    • Duff-e
    • May 10, 2010 at 6:28 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/ironman2trailer2-2.jpg]

    So I haven't seen the movie or watched the trailer but...holy shit is that supposed to be Flushing Meadows park? If so that is fucking awesome. Do they give an explanation in the movie why it looks like that? Was there a scene there or something?

    That's like 10 minutes from my house Except it looks more like this:

    [Blocked Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2303/2435785193_3193e81d0c.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.lat34.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/skating_unisphere.jpg]

    I guess in the future they finally tore down those space elevator things.

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2010

    • Duff-e
    • May 10, 2010 at 3:50 AM
    Quote from Thrik

    Dude that thing has anti-RPG interceptors built right onto it.

    If that's true I don't know what to think about anything anymore.

  • Empty Times + Good Times

    • Duff-e
    • May 5, 2010 at 5:07 AM

    I'm gonna be an insensitive asshole and suggest the bomb (based on the NYTimes description) wasn't worthy of Times Square.

    Years of NYC high terror alert porn and "what if" scenarios and the best they can do is a couple drums of gas and some fertilizer on a side street. I guess you can't expect much when your terrorist is based in Connecticut.

    The patrols of soldiers with mp5's and m4's around grand central are cool though.

    edit: congrats

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • May 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM

    Luckily it's just an ant problem, not roaches. Well...ants and those orange mother fuckers with a thousand legs. We had roaches when I was a kid at a different apartment and after they sprayed around it seemed to take care of it.

    Maybe if you live in a big old house it's more of a problem but we were on the 3rd floor.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • May 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.agzakhana.com/images/raid2.jpg]

    fucking hot weather and rain

  • Call of Duty 7: Black Ops

    • Duff-e
    • May 2, 2010 at 2:26 AM

    looks more like a time warp than a muzzle flash

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2010

    • Duff-e
    • April 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM

    I don't want to alarm you but your local pub seems to have a ghost problem.

    Images

    • shot0021.webp
      • 67.66 kB
      • 1,600 × 900
    • shot0016.webp
      • 86.89 kB
      • 1,600 × 900
    • shot0013.webp
      • 104.9 kB
      • 1,600 × 900
    • shot0011.webp
      • 66.65 kB
      • 1,600 × 900
  • Black Mesa Source

    • Duff-e
    • April 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM

    Looking fwd to playing this.

  • Valve Teases Upcoming Half-Life Release for Mac

    • Duff-e
    • April 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

    New media developers are the worst :ssj:

    Possibly even worse than them are people in new media who don't have any practical skills. "Guys we need something explosive, something that's going to change the game, shift that paradigm you know? It's gotta have the brand quality of facebook, innovation of twitter but promote social mobility like chatroulette. But more important than any of that it needs a great name. Something that sounds like a noise a 3 year old child would make or a play on an already existing word like FROOGLE or CUIL. Three months from now our product is going to be the verb on everyone's tongue. 'LOOK WHAT SCOTT JUST NEWPRODUCT'D!' IS WHAT THEY'LL SAY."

    I was going to stop after one sentence but it was too easy and fun I couldn't help it :\

  • Valve Teases Upcoming Half-Life Release for Mac

    • Duff-e
    • April 25, 2010 at 8:18 AM

    I find it really weird that you guys have such a crazy mac culture in Europe. Not that there's any reason why you wouldn't but I guess it always felt like a US phenomenon....more specifically a Brooklyn phenomenon.

    But then that just be my ethnocentrism showing!

  • Valve Teases Upcoming Half-Life Release for Mac

    • Duff-e
    • April 23, 2010 at 8:35 PM

    mostly admin but I do scripting when necessary

  • Valve Teases Upcoming Half-Life Release for Mac

    • Duff-e
    • April 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM

    Mostly server network stuff for an IT consulting company.

  • Valve Teases Upcoming Half-Life Release for Mac

    • Duff-e
    • April 23, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    Quote from Rick_D

    Great article on a blog I saw the other day. Why apple succeeded with the iPhone and such. It does a few things very well, and fuck all to the rest. So phones that did everything just ended up being too complicated, even though they could do much more.

    I have owned the Blackberry 7280, Palm Treo 300 and the original iPhone. I consider myself a power user, I had every application and mod available for my Blackberry and Palm but the iPhone blew them both away. Why? Forget the novelty of the touchscreen. Ignore the appstore, because when I owned the iPhone it didn't exist. Three things that instantly come into my head are 1. The browser was usable - After using smart phones for 6 years with crippled browsers, this was huge. 2. Visual Voicemail - Something everyone thought of at least once was integrated into the OS perfectly. 3. I could play music on it and the interface wasn't a joke.

    At the time the iPhone was more a toy but then again all phones except for Blackberries and the Treo were toys then. At my last job I had to get a Blackberry Bold (which I still use today) because the company had unlimited minutes on Verizon and I needed to be able to connect to enterprise email on Exchange. In the past couple years a lot has changed and being in IT I've seen first hand the iPhone become a valid corporate phone. I love the new HTC phones and android. I jailbroke my iPhone, something I probably wouldn't do with the appstore today, so I understand the opensource sentiment. If I had a reason to spend $500 on a new phone I would probably buy one of these. Unfortunately this doesn't change the fact that apple put their dick out on the line and made the form factor associated with smart phones today the standard.

    Quote from Rick_D

    The same principle applies to a Mac, they can't do as much as a PC (this isn't debatable, right?), but they simplify things and make certain that the few things they do do, they do well (wonderful English there, my teachers would be so proud) (alternatively: *huh huh, he said doodoo*).

    To keep it short, yes, that absolutely is debatable. I've worked with fashion design and video/audio firms and they exclusively use Apple hardware and software. Final Cut Pro? Industry standard and mac only. At 7/9 sound studios ProTools was on OSX. Keep in mind that Apple also makes http://%7boption%7d. I've worked on many of them and they're really fantastic, especially in tandem with Mac client computers. Also, in NYC, as with other major US cities, you can walk about 15 blocks in any direction and take care of Mac issues instead of having to wait 2 weeks turn around for your HP or Alienware.

    Quote from Rick_D

    If you want to use a Mac then go crazy, I have often thought about getting one myself but I can't really see the point, I'd rather get a laptop running windows (so all my stuff was compatible) or wait for the Google netbook.

    You can install Windows on any Intel mac.

    Quote from Rick_D

    I wonder though, does the simple matter of owning a Mac somehow bestow upon you a sense of superiority, or is it an attitude of persecution when all you see is flame-wars? Macs and iPhones have become fashion symbols whether you like it or not, did you really buy one because you wanted something simple, or did you buy it because of the social connotations?

    For some Mac/iPhone is undoubtedly a fashion statement but do you know who those people are? Those are the people who start pointless flame wars with PC users about what's better. They're as right in their opinions as the people who discredit the significant influence of Apple in the computer world. I'm not going to make fun of someone with an HP or MacBook because I realize that it's just a computer and a computer is a tool. Looking at someones computer can you really stereotype their reason for owning it? What about the guy using a Mac because he works in publishing and needs to be able to use Quark, which his company has been using for the past 8 years and is the format all their files are in? How about the kid with a EEEPC who needed a cheap solution to take notes in his college class? They're just devices for accomplishing necessary tasks. Discriminating against, of all things, a brand is just what advertisers want you to do. They want you to associate their product with Right and Wrong. It says more about you than it does about the people you're insulting.

    Do I think it's silly that there are 15 year olds who use a $3000 Macbook Pro for browsing Facebook? Of course. Is it equally silly to have a $5000 gaming laptop so you can play Crysis on max settings 3 times a year when you're on vacation. Yup. Conclusion? There are a lot of stupid/silly people in the world who spend their money in very inefficient ways, creating jobs for people like us who use more scrutiny in our purchases.

  • Valve Teases Upcoming Half-Life Release for Mac

    • Duff-e
    • April 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM

    A lot of the random Mac shit talking is antagonistic for no reason. If you don't care then don't care but why shit on a thread on a small forum between people who are interested in the topic? Especially when you're dropping gems like "fuck macs" and then calling out people for their choices.

    What excites me most about Steam on Mac is that young kids who live in Mac households now have a whole new platform open to them. Fuck both sides of stupid Mac/PC bullshit.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™