1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Duff-e

Posts by Duff-e

  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 16, 2010 at 9:51 AM

    It's not so great mapping out caves, only surface stuff. You can use it to view minerals but like I said the maps are so big it's basically useless for that.

    I had a similar moment of awe finding a huge pit in the middle of an otherwise regular cave.

    I always carry at least one full stack of wood whenever I do anything now. Having to dig yourself to the surface from half way under the map with no tools because you got lost in a cave is very very frustrating. I would have gladly thrown myself in lava if I could have found some easily.

    On another forum someone randomly spawned this world and shared the save file if you're interested (I have bad luck with spawning on flat land and beaches):

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/iWDPT.png]

    http://www.2shared.com/file/Bqr84Opo/World1.html

  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 16, 2010 at 6:14 AM

    Jetsetlemming, I haven't downloaded anything besides the alpha available to everyone and I have found dungeons with monster spawns and loot chests though I can't say I noticed any particular theme.

    They look like this:

    [Blocked Image: http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8138/minecraft3.jpg]

    Are you talking about something different?

    Also if you guys didn't already know there is a program called cartographer that makes cool overhead maps of your territory. You can also use it to find deposits of stuff but it's not as useful as it sounds because the maps are so damn huge.

    [Blocked Image: http://imgur.com/FrULQ.png]

  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 15, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    Quote from Jetsetlemming

    I've got so much iron I've stopped using stone tools for anything, even for stuff like shovels that are so weak as to be a massive waste of resources.

    You're lucky, I've started 6 worlds now and I still can't find enough iron to justify the cost of making rail road tracks/carts.

    Gunpowder has been an even bigger problem though.

  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 14, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    Quote from Pericolos0

    someone needs to combine this game with dwarf fortress

    You sir are correct. I really wanted to like dwarf fortress but the complexity + the visual style were too much.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • September 14, 2010 at 1:23 AM

    I'm definitely in the minority but I'll never understand the appeal of Halo. To me it's just generic space shooter #438 with a story that makes Steven King look like James Joyce.

  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 14, 2010 at 1:15 AM

    Word is one of the next big updates will feature biomes (desert, tropical, etc) throughout the world. I've been keeping busy with this thread for inspiration:

    http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 35&t=14998

    Right now though minecraft and I aren't on speaking terms after I fell into lava and lost 5 diamonds.

  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 10, 2010 at 8:17 PM

    http://www.google.com/trends?q=minecraf ... ytd&sort=0

  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 10, 2010 at 7:55 PM

    I'm seeing people I know in real life who never play video games (even shit like the sims/warcraft) become addicted to minecraft. I'm even surprised at myself because I normally don't go for rpg/crafting type games.

  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 10, 2010 at 4:03 AM

    Someone posted that texture pack on reddit/r/minecraft but I don't think it's out yet.

    Here are two places to check out if you're looking for minecraft related info:

    http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

    http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/

    I don't know if you guys saw this already but for the impatient go to 4:00

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 10, 2010 at 2:29 AM
    Quote from insta

    That video made me buy it!

    Nice. That series is the same reason I bought it. Even if you never play minecraft his series is very entertaining.

    $13 is worth the possibility of trying any of the planned expansions in multiplayer:

    Quote

    Planned expansions: * Zombie Siege

    Build your defenses during the day, fend off the incoming masses during night.

    * Capture the Flag

    Defend your base and flag against the enemy team while trying to steal their flag.

    * Various custom level mods

    Want to import a doom map? How about playing in a random dungeon?

    * And more!

    Display More
  • Minecraft

    • Duff-e
    • September 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM

    A lot of stuff has changed with minecraft, specifically the single player and the valve/steam rumors. Before I bought the alpha (which is $13 if you buy before the beta is released) I watched this series of youtube videos.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    He just concluded the last episode but it's him playing the single player in 30 15 minute episodes live with just a few tutorials experience before playing. All in HD.

    There has also been talk about texture packs, a minecraft/dwarf fortress crossover and there are a few TF2 themed minecraft maps out right now.

    [Blocked Image: http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/439/cavecv.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1779/lavac.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://meta.filesmelt.com/downloader.php?file=1280388046277.png]

    I really love the idea of this game. I can see it getting old after a while but the core gameplay has serious potential. There's something about having to make shelter whenever the sun goes down and lighting up torches that satisfies the caveman part of my brain.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • September 8, 2010 at 6:28 PM

    Sounds like date rape.

  • Need book suggestions

    • Duff-e
    • September 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM

    Carl Sagan wrote a bunch of non-technical books about space.

    http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Carl-Sagan ... pd_sim_b_3

    Quote

    Cosmos has 13 heavily illustrated chapters, corresponding to the 13 episodes of the Cosmos television series.[2] In the book, Sagan explores 15 billion years of cosmic evolution and the development of science and civilization.[3] Cosmos traces the origins of knowledge and the scientific method, mixing science and philosophy, and speculates to the future of science.[4] Cornell News Service characterized the book as "an overview of how science and civilization grew up together."[5]

    I never read Cosmos but I did watch the 7 dvd series. It was a little too hokey for me but it's loved by thousands of people and gets generally good reviews.

    I read Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything a few years ago and thought it was good. Bryson takes a bunch of technical information and presents it in a narrative non-technical style.

    Quote

    From primordial nothingness to this very moment, A Short History of Nearly Everything reports what happened and how humans figured it out. To accomplish this daunting literary task, Bill Bryson uses hundreds of sources, from popular science books to interviews with luminaries in various fields. His aim is to help people like him, who rejected stale school textbooks and dry explanations, to appreciate how we have used science to understand the smallest particles and the unimaginably vast expanses of space

  • Games with lasting emotional impact

    • Duff-e
    • August 29, 2010 at 1:57 AM

    Shenmue.

    Besides being an amazing game it lead to a lot of interesting conversations with people who I would normally have nothing in common with. I'm not really into fantasy and I get bored very easily with single player games so it's a rare thing form me to finish a game like shenmue.

    Beating a game like CODMW2 is like opening a huge chain of wikipedia tabs because you're bored. You keep your eyes open for something interesting but you're not really thinking while you're doing it.

  • Buying a new computational device!

    • Duff-e
    • August 28, 2010 at 2:38 AM

    I also use dropbox as my primary backup. I only keep the irreplaceable stuff there. For music/movies/games I have a script that exports a list of them and I back that up.

    I do keep a duplicate HD of my photos at my moms house though. I physically back it up every 2 months and encrypt it. My ex girlfriends wouldn't be to happy about that :x

  • Jante Law - Scandinavian Communities

    • Duff-e
    • August 28, 2010 at 2:35 AM

    Interesting perspective Hendrik. Just out of curiosity how old are you?

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

    Playing a console first person shooter is like bowling with bumper lanes. You still have fun because you're not guaranteed to knock down all the pins but there's definitely less skill involved.

  • Buying a new computational device!

    • Duff-e
    • August 27, 2010 at 4:12 AM

    I think RAID is overkill for most people. If you mirror your primary drive you're wasting so much space on system and program files. If your goal is uptime then it makes sense but if we're talking personal data you're better off backing up online, using software or both.

  • bible mmo

    • Duff-e
    • August 27, 2010 at 4:06 AM

    related religion/media discussion

    If you ever want to find a reason to hate humanity watch a film like the award winning, highest grossing independent Christian film :

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireproof_%28film%29

    Don't drink and watch this film, you will get upset.

    The Christian media industry is huge, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a success.

  • Buying a new computational device!

    • Duff-e
    • August 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM

    http://www.igniq.com/2010/08/23/intel-i ... rice-cuts/

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™