1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Duff-e

Posts by Duff-e

  • Call of Duty 7: Black Ops

    • Duff-e
    • November 9, 2010 at 5:14 PM

    AMERICA AMERICA GOD SHED HIS GRACE ON THEEEEEEEE

  • Call of Duty 7: Black Ops

    • Duff-e
    • November 8, 2010 at 3:02 AM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    I want to live in a universe where this really happened.

  • The Dark Knight Rises

    • Duff-e
    • November 2, 2010 at 2:56 AM

    I wouldn't read too much into what I said about the philosophical part, I was mostly talking about The Matrix there. With TDK the issue is its "thought provoking/deep" story.

  • The Dark Knight Rises

    • Duff-e
    • November 2, 2010 at 2:23 AM

    The reason I didn't like TDK has nothing to do with it being a bad film. I don't think it's possible to call TDK a bad film considering the amount of people and talent involved with a huge project like that. TDK is a modern work of art in terms of scale and technical difficulty.

    The problem is about 2 or 3 years ago I started reading lots of old books, watching lots of old movies and generally forcing myself into new discussions and ideas I wouldn't have found if I didn't actively seek them out. Take The Matrix or Donnie Darko for example. For 15 year old Duffy those movies were mind blowing, I mean no one in casual conversation ever brought up the philosophical and existential questions surrounding life. It helped that there were lots of explosions and guns but at the end of the day it was about the provocative questions.

    Now after reading works by authors like Dostoevsky, Goethe, Shakespeare, Heidegger, Foucault, etc, It's hard to sit through a film like TDK and be engaged during the pseudo-philosophically stimulating question of "will the convicts blow up the other ship" game. It doesn't even matter that it's been done it's just the approach is so heavy handed and lame it's hard to not roll your eyes. I think back on films like The Matrix and I'm not embarrassed by my love for that film because it put me on my current path. I do wish someone would have said to me after I said I liked the matrix "yeah you liked that? well try THIS" instead of spending 2 or 3 years thinking that the height of intellectualism is "am I living in the matrix?" I'm not saying that any of you thought exactly like me but I think it's an equivalent situation. You're putting TDK in your top 5, 10 or 20 because based on what you've been exposed to it legitimately belongs there, you're not stupid or "hollywood/mainstream."

    This is why I get nothing out of films like district 9, inception and TDK. The reason I can sit through them is because of what they bring to the table technically but in terms of story content it reminds me of trying to read a book like Ender's Game where I'm accurately guessing what's going to happen on every other page. I totally can see why people who read it when they were 13, 14, 15 still love it. It did what it needed to do for that person at that time in their life. I'm sure there are people who look at the things that I'm reading or thinking about and find them to be juvenile, boring or unnecessary. All I'm saying is I think people who find a film like TDK interesting or provocative are more intelligent than your average person and would see what haters saw if they spent some time with pure unfiltered genius instead of sloppy contemporary rehashes. With my current view on information I find myself seeking out people who question or shit on my interests, not because I'm looking for some mythical right answer or because I want to be a smart ass but because it's a new lens to see the world through. I don't throw away the lenses either, instead I just collect them and use them when applicable.

    TLDR; Challenge yourself. TDK is a good film for Hollywood but if you like it I guarantee your time could be better spent elsewhere.

  • The Dark Knight Rises

    • Duff-e
    • October 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM

    I also fell asleep watching dark knight in the theater. Not only did I not like the film but I got tired of Heath Ledger's super affected joker performance. That and batman's untreated throat cancer, yeesh.

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2010

    • Duff-e
    • October 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    Quote from Sentura

    but yeah, what skjalg said basically. i reckon in a decade we'll go completely away from the notion that you find girl/boyfriends at bars, and maybe even one night stands too. a friend of mine told me this recently: "why would you go pick up someone on a friday, when you're drunk? you don't get any real pleasure out of it, and chances are you won't remember what happened the next morning." i gotta say i think he's right.

    Let me assure you there is very real pleasure to be had picking someone up on a Friday when you're drunk. If you don't remember what you did that night then you do it again in the morning.

    Both scenarios have their pros and cons. I wouldn't throw one out in favor of the other.

    edit: sucks about your situation D3. hope everything works out.

  • New Monitor

    • Duff-e
    • October 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

    Lol I just randomly found that pic looking for my monitor (samsung 305t). Oddly enough I do have the same chair and keyboard though.

    I have 2 22" samsungs on ergotron arms on either side of the 30". I have no pics here but when I get back home I'll upload

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2010

    • Duff-e
    • October 27, 2010 at 2:07 AM

    Doing things like being outgoing and learning to dance gets you a certain type of woman that I've become tired of -- proactive attention whores.

    I'm actively seeking a girl who smokes weed/cigarettes and is morally ambiguous. She also has to like the Simpsons.

    Thank god for match.com

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2010

    • Duff-e
    • October 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM

    I don't see what the big deal is. If you have a girlfriend you usually spend a lot of time with her. It's no different than saying "I went to the store with chris" or "I met up with the guys at the party."

    Believing that having a girlfriend is some kind of exceptional state of being says more about your warped perception of life than it does about someone who is just making conversation.

  • Valve creates micro-transaction steam support

    • Duff-e
    • October 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM

    I don't know about idiots so much as have disposable income or are under 18 and get all their money from their parents.

    People buy expensive shit all the time that has 0 utility, in fact sometimes the less utility it has the more expensive it is.

    If you're going to play the game then the goal is to be at the receiving end of transactions with these willingly ignorant people not to sit on the sidelines in your tattered rags preaching about fiscal responsibility.

  • New Monitor

    • Duff-e
    • October 25, 2010 at 4:06 AM

    27 inches?

    It must be difficult to live in poverty.

    [Blocked Image: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7809/desk01ci2af0.jpg]

  • Valve creates micro-transaction steam support

    • Duff-e
    • October 22, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    Quote from Warby

    if a hat model is 10 bucks than by caluclaitons of how much more affort it is to make a full custom map a map should be worth something around 10.000 $ !

    not gonna happen !

    Lower your standards and profit. Make 10 FY_ICEWORLD's instead of 1 cs_havana. The real challenge is figuring out why people will buy your professional fy_iceworld before downloading a dozen amateur clones for free.

  • Your favourite movies

    • Duff-e
    • October 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM

    It's more of a documentary but check out The Pervert's Guide to Cinema. It's 2 hours and 21 minutes of Slavoj Zizek applying Philosophy/Psychoanalysis to a bunch of movies from obscure to hollywood.

    Here's the list:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Perver ... _to_Cinema

    I would only recommend it if you've watched at least half the movies there or enjoy overthinking a plate of beans. He comes to some pretty outrageous conclusions that even if you don't agree with will probably make you think. It helps that his critical attitude is more of curiosity than arrogance.

  • Zack Snyder + Superman movie = TRUE

    • Duff-e
    • October 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM

    Or maybe the angle they should play is REALLY REALLY manly badass borderline mean but you love to hate him superman.

    Whatever they do they need to do something. As it is Superman is just that nice guy you know down the block who happens to have super powers. Revolutionary 50 years ago but no longer inspiring. We need a superman who wouldn't be afraid to put it in Lois Lane's butt.

  • Now playing 2010

    • Duff-e
    • October 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM

    stay the fuck away from reddit.

    internet crack cocaine

  • Zack Snyder + Superman movie = TRUE

    • Duff-e
    • October 21, 2010 at 2:47 PM

    I like Jon Hamm in madmen but he would make a really bland superman.

    They need to change the superman formula up. At this point I would rather see superman as a 18 year old hipster than another square jawed stoic manly man. I know that goes contrary to the roots of the comic but who cares. Superman has become the action template for so many more interesting contemporary characters that I can't imagine what they're going to do that wont be expected. Oh, I know, turn it into a masturbatory CG-fest.

    They need to find a Robert Downey Jr. for Superman and I'm afraid there aren't enough drugs or hookers in the world to make that possible.

  • Your favourite movies

    • Duff-e
    • October 20, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    Quote

    Persona

    indeed.

  • Fallout (New Vegas)

    • Duff-e
    • October 20, 2010 at 1:23 PM

    Oh man.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    Which led me to this:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • My videocard died today

    • Duff-e
    • October 20, 2010 at 12:11 PM

    Peris failed to include the promised numbers so I have attached some:

    3, 45, 19, 397, 82, 12

  • Mapcore Website

    • Duff-e
    • October 17, 2010 at 2:04 AM

    I miss when mapcore irc was popular.

    Being 16 was nice.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™