1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Duff-e

Posts by Duff-e

  • HDTV as a PC display

    • Duff-e
    • August 15, 2009 at 3:06 PM

    Why hello there.

    Do any of you guys use your HDTV as a PC display for a home theater setup? The internet (hardocp, arstechnica, tomshardware, metafilter, other forums) has let me down so I'm hoping some of you have real world experience with this. I have 5 or 6 HDTV's I'm really keen on but I need to be able to play PC games and this seems to change everything according to the internet. Unfortunately no one elaborates on this.

    I'm really interested in hearing from people who have the same or similar situation as me, especially when it comes to FPS games played at 10ft (max) on a PC/HDTV. Also I can't settle on 37-42" / 720p-1080p. I have no problem shelling out the extra money for 42" 1080p but only if it's going to be the main factor for PC/HDTV gaming. I rarely watch any 1080p worthy content, mostly because I have a huge downloaded movie library and they're all 700 mb files. I'm confident I won't be doing any console gaming on this tv if that matters.

    I already have a badass PC, wireless mouse/keyboard/headphones, I just want to be able to play fallout 3, source, and other choice games without having to use some ridiculously bad resolution where I get ghosting and lag anyway. I've used this PC on a 2560x1600 30" samsung 305T flawlessly so I'm confident on that end.

    Plasma vs LCD doesn't matter to me. I checked out some of those new panasonic plasma sets and they're damn sexy, but the internet whispers of PC/HDTVplasma as bad.

    Again, please real experiences only. There are enough people already on the internet using industry slang and big acronyms that just copy/paste press releases.

    Thanks <3

  • Songs that put you in a good mood

    • Duff-e
    • August 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM

    http://hypem.com/track/754577/Royksopp+ ... ize+Remix+

    pretty popular remix of happy up here that was going around for a while...completely different vibe though...1:20+ I like

    I love this song though. I get the feeling it was in a commercial or something recently.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    the video is almost exactly what I imagined after hearing the song.

  • District 9

    • Duff-e
    • August 14, 2009 at 9:37 AM

    I hope it's not too heavy on the political/social commentary. That shit will ruin it for me real fast. Just like the disaster that is 2004's crash.

  • Songs that put you in a good mood

    • Duff-e
    • August 13, 2009 at 10:29 AM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    I could be in the middle of a school shooting and this song would mellow me out.

    also I'm extremely envious of blink 182. they probably got more pussy between the 3 of them in the late 90's/early 00's than any person on earth.

  • Songs that put you in a good mood

    • Duff-e
    • August 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM

    lol how high were you when this conversation happened. then again you wouldn't have been down in the first place if you were high.

    not a big fan of matt and kim. I get the "trying too hard to act like we're not trying too hard' vibe from them. saw them on the L train once heading to brooklyn at like 3am ;D

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 13, 2009 at 2:32 AM

    so sexy~

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 11, 2009 at 1:52 PM

    he must have got it from crazy vaclav's

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 11, 2009 at 1:38 PM

    YEAH JUST IGNORE THE 25 POSITIVE REVIEWS.

    But I'll take the heat for that one. I just kept forgetting to mail it and this guy was militant about getting his $40 keyboard.

    Lesson:

    Don't fuck with powersellers

    Seeing all of you posting pictures of cars makes me glad I live in a city where getting a license never crossed my mind. The only people who have cars here are the guidos who go UHN-TISS on long island.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 11, 2009 at 3:55 AM

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT

    check out the rest of the stuff I'm selling too. cleaning out my closet before moving ;\

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 11, 2009 at 1:19 AM

    damn I never watched that show either. I think it's between arrested development and californication though. Been wanting to start a new show.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 11, 2009 at 12:40 AM

    On the topic of samsung 22" LCD's....I got two of them up on ebay now...2253bw

    [Blocked Image: http://www.gxcomp.cz/images/samsung_2253bw.jpg]

    anyone interested?

    also..if you could compare the humor in californication to another show which would it be? I was gonna buy the first season yesterday after someone mentioned it...but I have a very fickle sense of humor.

  • RAGE

    • Duff-e
    • August 10, 2009 at 11:56 AM

    breaking into SCHOOL to use COMPUTERS

    [Blocked Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_t914Wl3QklY/R_MDS4UEooI/AAAAAAAAC9Q/TaGZn88qsVc/s400/bill-gates-mugshot.jpg]

    twins?

  • RAGE

    • Duff-e
    • August 10, 2009 at 10:24 AM

    I find it amazing that guy made it through high school alive.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM

    lol no I just said it to get you to say that hahaha. Since mac vs pc forum debate #908239402 is once again pointless I figured I'd pull the old "poor minority" flamebait card.

    but just for the record I never said anything about being right or wrong. I just wanted to give a counter argument to what jean paul originally said in order to support anyone that might be considering a mac.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM

    I'm just trying to balance out the people here talking out of their ass and give some tangible support for mac/osx. Then again I guess I have to remember I am the minority.

    [Blocked Image: http://theslrevolution.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/operating-system-market-share1.jpg]

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM

    lol the interface is too user friendly.

    If you need to do anything more complicated command + space bar > terminal = problem solved. I'm sure almost all of you own some form of ipod (itouch/iphone, whatever). How come you all don't just buy that sexy $30 rio player that does the exact same things with more space...instead of paying that evil apple premium. I noticed this trend though with people....they'll hate on mac computers but end up buying one of the peripheral electronics and then convert.

    The one thing that gives you guys away as just culture biased is that you hate on apple. Indifference makes sense...who cares...it's a computer like anything else...but you all hint at dislike for people at the genius bar, the commercials, paying more for the design, and your perception of people who use macs. Have you ever tried to get a computer fixed by geeksquad? They'll charge you $400 for a used 500gb hard drive. I would know I worked there years ago. They're a business trying to make money...they're not your friend...ESPECIALLY if you're out of warranty. If you're stupid enough to expect an OEM price on a replacement hard drive at a walk-in store...they're going to assume you don't know about newegg and take you for all you're worth.

    JeanPaul you're talking about "one cord cube" and "power mac" so I'm gonna assume you haven't used any of the latest apple offerings. I can't attest to how great macs were 4 years ago...but I know if I sit down at a macbook today that there's a 90% chance it's running like butter, regardless of the user, programs or time in use. Can't say the same about your average PC.

    I stand by everything I said before and I don't think anything said since detracts from it. There wouldn't be a huge community of people putting OSX on dell, hp, lenovo computers if the OS wasn't something in its own right. And that's all I'm really advocating for...fuck everything else...OSX on a mac is just icing...but OSX itself is like a linux distro that holds up to everyday use.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    Quote from skdr

    It has nothing to do with emulation when you're running Windows on a Mac with Boot Camp. It's native.

    not to mention some benchmarks show windows xp runs better on a mac than a pc with comparable hardware ;D

    but seriously a lot of people STILL don't understand that pc's and macs run on the same hardware....meaning you can have windows on a mac. as soon as I tell people this they're like "lol 4 real, k buy macz"

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 7, 2009 at 8:51 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://3dguru.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/3dsmac3.jpg]

    (and that's last generation hardware ;\)

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 7, 2009 at 3:06 AM

    pc's work fine in nyc but from my experience the turnaround for a broken part or even tech support is lacking. most people who own a mac are going to have laptops so being able to walk into a store (which are spread around nicely in nyc) makes life easier.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    Watch this video and tell me osx doesn't have more integrated functionality than a PC. Keep in mind that's a 3 year old video and it still would take a bunch of 3rd party software to make a PC do any of that...much less flawlessly.

    http://www.apple.com/mac/ even the videos on this page which are higher res give a nice overview of why it's amazing

    Ideally I'd be sitting here typing right now how great linux and compiz fusion are....because it can do almost all of the things built into osx and obviously it's open source...unfortunately with linux there are too many driver issues for a main pc. As a server they're great but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't a power user for day to day use.

    I don't even own any mac hardware but I still use OSX as my main OS because I just like it more. Even though it was a pain in the ass to get working 100% and everytime I update I have to backup the entire HD in case it fucks things up, I still rather use it over linux or windows.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Duff-e
    • August 7, 2009 at 2:44 AM

    I'm 21. I never even USED a mac until I bought my macbook a year and a half ago. You need to stop hating and just try it. I wouldn't say I used to be a hater but I definitely was indifferent towards macs. Since then I've used them in home and professional environments and I have to say they're just better to work with, ESPECIALLY when it comes to troubleshooting.

    I dual boot my mac pro with windows 7 x64 on a Q6600 8 gb and a good graphics card...can't remember model. The only time I ever use windows is to play TF2 or a video game. I don't even boot into windows anymore for programs I just use vmware. If windows didn't have such a monopoly on the corporate and office world they would be done. Maybe wherever you live it's too expensive but for a place like NYC or any other major US city it's just too inconvenient to own anything else.

    Maybe you don't know about the 40 command line strings thing because you never worked in a networked environment. What do you even mean by "close to it?" What would be the criteria for that? At least I gave you a few concrete examples of why I think macs deserve some respect.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™