1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Duff-e

Posts by Duff-e

  • Can D.I.Y. Supplant the First-Person Shooter?

    • Duff-e
    • November 16, 2009 at 4:24 AM

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/magaz ... mes-t.html

    So I'm reading my Megan Fox interview in the NYTimes magazine today and noticed this interesting bonus. Thought you game industry types might like it if you haven't already read it.

  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Teaser

    • Duff-e
    • November 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM

    or better yet...oprahs video game of the month club?

  • Banksy

    • Duff-e
    • November 11, 2009 at 7:52 AM

    http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009/10/04/129-banksy/

    had to do it. it's the most recent one

  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Teaser

    • Duff-e
    • November 9, 2009 at 7:37 AM

    I can't decide if I like the automated chopper better or not. I guess it depends on how they handle the players character on the map during. I don't know if it's necessarily over powered though. I mean in COD4 if someone called chopper and you didn't have cover you were pretty much dead...now player competency is a factor so overall there must be a decrease in kills.

  • Battlefield Bad Company 2

    • Duff-e
    • November 8, 2009 at 10:36 PM

    so I don't get it was 2142 considered an abortion or something? I played the demo and remember the mechs being cool but never heard anything again about it.

  • Skype group

    • Duff-e
    • November 8, 2009 at 6:45 PM

    not to change the conversation but do any of you guys from brazil know what "PAGA PAUS" means in english? thanks

  • Battlefield Bad Company 2

    • Duff-e
    • November 7, 2009 at 12:30 AM

    agreed on desert combat. helicopter flying was perfected in that mod. the learning curve was steep but you had so much more control than the fluff that passes recently.

  • Coping with dismissal of a teacher mid-semester?

    • Duff-e
    • November 6, 2009 at 9:12 PM

    Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this the part where you get an extra hour a day to flirt with girls and talk shit?

    Chemistry will always be around but high school wont. Go make some bad decisions.

  • --> Low Budget Sci-Fi "GEMS" !!! <--

    • Duff-e
    • November 4, 2009 at 1:06 AM

    I'll have to check out Moebius because PI is one of my favorite films of all time. Off the top of my head I can only think of a few but I'll check my collection later.

    Almost any film by Andrei Tarkovsky will seriously fuck up your head. He directed the original solyaris (1972) that Steven Soderbergh remade into Solaris a few years ago.

    If you're going to give him a shot I highly recommend starting with Stalker (WIKI):

    [Blocked Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DI-DKzHceco/RvQ_EJO5CRI/AAAAAAAAAMI/KHZUDBYtQuI/s400/7217.jpg]

    The setting of the film is a tiny town on the outskirts of "The Zone", a wilderness area which has been cordoned off by the government. The film's main character, the Stalker, works as a guide to bring people in and out of the Zone, to a room which is said to grant "the deepest, innermost" wishes. Residual effects of an unnamed previous occurrence have transformed an otherwise mundane rural area scattered with ruined buildings into an area where the normal laws of physics no longer apply.

    Mirror is probably his most intense and inaccessible film to people who aren't familiar with his style but once you are it's great

    Another film that is so weird and sci-fi that you'll probably want to write off after 15 minutes is Last Year at Marienbad. It's about the memories of a man meeting a woman at a mansion in France the year before. Or is it? The memories are disjointed much the same way our real memories are. You remember a noise, smell or person but very little else about your surroundings. The idea you remember permeates what might have really happened. Some people consider it the film equivalent of Salvador Dali's famous painting "The Persistence of Memory." Highly recommended but it requires extreme patience.

    [Blocked Image: http://questionknife.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/marienbad_lg.jpg]

    And just for the record the only film listed so far that's truly low budget would be primer.

    edit: I just remembered this TV show called Dark Shadows from the 60s. It was a gothic soap opera that was filmed live so some of the episodes had hilarious flaws and mistakes. People hiding behind props, stage hands walking around, actors forgetting lines and improvising. Great stuff. Don't watch it unless you're with friends or stoned or you'll be disappointed. You can find torrents for the whole series.

  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Teaser

    • Duff-e
    • October 29, 2009 at 5:41 PM

    WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!??!

  • Post your favourite movie scenes ever!

    • Duff-e
    • October 20, 2009 at 11:05 PM

    best sex scenes with no sex

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • New Laptop

    • Duff-e
    • August 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM

    lolololol notice how I posted in this thread originally provide information about the question, not trying to talk shit or call anyone out. more than anyone can say about a tool like you

  • New Laptop

    • Duff-e
    • August 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM

    Regular consumer my dick. I had to run 15 different offices all using every piece of hardware you can think of, operating things you don't even know the name while also doing tons of server side scripting.

    You need to read the last post I made on the first page and then stop, sit back, and use your brain for a minute. It can do everything a windows machine can ++++++++. This is the point. From hardware, to software, to support, to experience.

    If you actually read what I wrote instead of just imagining me saying "OMG BUT MACS ARE PRETTY" in 72 font in every post, maybe you would see that I'm responding DIRECTLY to the claims people are making about usability of windows on a mac.

    OP -"so I need a new laptop for school, which next week. I don't really ever play games, I mostly use the internets so my primary concern is resolution, battery life and memory are next"

    But I'M the one not listening to his specific concerns right? Or maybe he just scripts in C using autocad and needs dual quad core processors and isn't telling us. There are people on this forum, with macs, who clearly work everyday with professional tools advocating for macs but then we're all just probably fanboys.

    And for the record I haven't gamed in years. Fucking troll.

    Bic - Do yourself a favor and go on ask.metafilter.com and search "buying laptop." Metafilter requires $5 to join and has crazy good troll moderation. You'll find some very solid advice.

  • New Laptop

    • Duff-e
    • August 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM

    See the problem skjalg is that you can't remove OSX from a mac in that way. If macs were sold with only windows on it I'd laugh in your face for buying it, because then it IS just more money for a pretty case. And even then people drop the new unibody mac down a flight of stairs while ON and while you will get a dent, it still works:

    http://ask.metafilter.com/106654/Alumin ... ic-Macbook

    When I decided on a mac the main factor was that I could run windows on it if osx didn't work out. Thing is I NEVER booted into windows after the first week just to make sure it worked. Occasionally I'd use parallels to open a windows only file but given a choice I use and recommend OSX and have never looked back.

    If you really don't want to buy a mac but want to try OSX consider building a hackintosh laptop. I did this and the only pain in the ass are the updates. Also I do this on a desktop not a laptop

  • New Laptop

    • Duff-e
    • August 26, 2009 at 4:03 PM

    There seems to be some serious misunderstanding about the fact that YOU CAN RUN WINDOWS NATIVELY ON A MAC. Meaning if you need to get into windows, which I guarantee you increasingly wont have to after you get used to OSX, you can. This isn't some hack either, mac's come with a program called boot camp so easy you just reboot with the windows cd in and install as if on a PC. On top of that for instant windows access you can run emulated windows at the same time as OSX using parallels. I can't overstate how cool this is. You literally have a windows task bar across the bottom of your OSX.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.prestonlee.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/parallels-coherence-mode-small.png]

    Ignore the trolls and focus on the developers and regular people here endorsing it. Besides you'll learn a lot of new cool stuff about operating systems at a fundamental level the more you use OSX. You'll become more marketable and that's one more skill on the resume. The utilities folder alone in OSX makes it worth the money. You can make the fucking command line terminal fucking sing. Yes literally sing.

  • You know i'm leaving.

    • Duff-e
    • August 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

    whatever you do remember the following advice:

    ALWAYS BRUSH YOUR TEETH, VISIT YOUR DENTIST TWICE A YEAR

    you laugh now but you'll cry later

    if it's any consolation I always got you and sindwiller confused.

  • Grooveshark

    • Duff-e
    • August 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM

    nice find. whats the legality of this? would suck if it's just shut down in a week.

  • Problem with graphics card/Windows/drivers

    • Duff-e
    • August 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM

    If you really reinstalled windows from scratch (formatting over the partition) and it still doesn't work I can't imagine it not being hardware related, even with linux working. It sounds like you worked through all the obvious stuff, maybe it would be worth downloading OEM tools for your hard drive and running a diagnostic.

    If that doesn't work try running windows xp off of a USB stick to see what happens. If you can get into windows from there I'd run the longest diagnostic on every part you can. I'd say do this from linux but I'm not sure how readily available they are.

    It obviously SOUNDS like graphics driver issue...but like I said if you reformatted, reinstalled and are still having the same problem something must be really fucked up. If you DIDN'T reformat and don't want to because of data, etc, you should create a new partition from in linux or windows (vga) and then install windows from scratch on that.

    If it turns out you can get into windows with no issues with one of these methods you can pretty easily recover all your data from the fucked up windows partition and then just format over it.

    Also, assuming you don't have some crazy specific bios settings, it couldn't hurt to reset everything to default.

  • <3 MapCore

    • Duff-e
    • August 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM

    I'm clearly the glue that keeps us all together.

  • James Cameron's Avatar

    • Duff-e
    • August 22, 2009 at 2:34 PM

    Critics putting movies like transformers 2 and district 9 on polar ends of critical spectrum is troubling not only because latter is a bad movie but because the former, a confirmed horrible movie, still made $823,000,000.

    I can't judge avatar based on its trailer but it has to be a bad sign when you can imagine the "creative meetings" discussing conflict/pop culture and marketing while watching it.

    Everything is ebb and flow but the bar has been seriously lowered for the near future.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™