1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • dm factory b2

    • Thrik
    • January 25, 2005 at 6:47 PM
    Quote from Evert

    That isn't always true MJ, it seems the sun is coming from behind the building, and the sun light isn't always the same on the ground as up in the clouds.But I guess it would look better like that.

    Pretty nice work still.

    Try not to think too logically. The sun isn't the only source of light in the sky -- it's the only direct source. The reason it looks a little strange is because the sky above the entire area would be carrying the light in reality, and illuminating the factory slightly.

  • IN THIS THREAD I WILL ANSWER YOUR SOURCE QUESTIONS

    • Thrik
    • January 23, 2005 at 5:37 AM

    Uh, it's kind of difficult to suggest anything without an editor view of how your brushes are lined up. You've probably worked it out anyway, but I'll assume your displacement brushes there are like this:

    [Blocked Image: http://thrik.dodnetwork.com/b3ta/disp1.gif]

    You want them like this:

    [Blocked Image: http://thrik.dodnetwork.com/b3ta/disp2.gif]

    The two should then line up and be sewable. I'm only assuming though, editor screenshots are necessary really.

  • [HL2] dm_CombineArena

    • Thrik
    • January 16, 2005 at 3:43 AM

    Screenshots? With so many maps floating around in relation to this contest, I can't go downloading and installing them all.

  • dm factory

    • Thrik
    • January 16, 2005 at 3:41 AM

    Try to balance your lighting and sky more. Your buildings are dark enough to imply that the sky is completely dark and in the middle of your night, but the sky itself is a lot lighter and reddish.

    The tone and colour of anything which is getting hit by that sky should be very similar to the sky itself -- as DaanO said, it lacks subtley. Since your sky is currently fairly midtonish, your buildings and such should also be midtonish. Balance!

  • Ubisoft Montreal rocks!

    • Thrik
    • January 10, 2005 at 6:44 PM

    Get us BGAE2.

  • Peter Molyneux gets it by the Queen!

    • Thrik
    • January 5, 2005 at 10:55 AM

    Haha, go Peter.

  • killzone

    • Thrik
    • January 4, 2005 at 9:51 AM

    http://www.idlethumbs.net/display.php?id=74

    These guys usually do pretty good articles/reviews. Seems fair enough, and the opinions right at the bottom are the best. ;

  • HL2DM - dm_cows Beta Version 1

    • Thrik
    • January 1, 2005 at 2:57 PM
    Quote from The-Real-Game

    I did create a proper 3d skybox, using the sky texture etc...I don't understand why those lines still appear though.

    Can you take a screenshot from the same angle as your first shot in Hammer please?

  • HL2DM - Scorpius

    • Thrik
    • December 31, 2004 at 1:48 PM

    See, I totally told you all it was him. Man, I know my skdrs.

  • Mapcore open for exploits

    • Thrik
    • December 29, 2004 at 5:32 PM

    Hopefully Mikey backs this forum up! D:

  • Merry X-Moose

    • Thrik
    • December 25, 2004 at 1:07 PM

    O!Oo1o!O!OoO!OO!!~!~!~!

    Merry CHRISTMAS!!

  • dm_petrol

    • Thrik
    • December 23, 2004 at 12:38 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://thrik.dodnetwork.com/b3ta/lightycrap.jpg]

    Yar, this is more like how I'd do it. What are those glowy things called again, like I put around the lights, windows and door? I've seen them in some maps so I know they can be done, I just emulated them with a shitty brush. D:~

  • dm_petrol

    • Thrik
    • December 23, 2004 at 12:34 PM

    It may be worth experimenting with those glowy type things too, with light sources -- I forget what they're called. Give me a few minutes and I'll quickly edit one of your screenshots to show what I mean.

  • dm_petrol

    • Thrik
    • December 23, 2004 at 12:18 PM

    It's nice structurally, but in those latest screenshots (the older ones aren't working) the lighting seems really dark. If you were to lighten up the whole thing and then choose your darker areas very carefully (rather than it being the other way around) I think it'd make it a bit nicer. Think about colour too -- you kind of have a piss-yellow scheme going on right now, which doesn't look too good.

  • Map size?

    • Thrik
    • December 23, 2004 at 12:08 PM

    My guess is that all those spawns aren't going to be used at once, so that many spawns isn't necessary. Source probably doesn't let people spawn inside of each other like HL1 did either.

    Just put the spawns you do have in spread out locations, so you don't end up with every bastard spawning next to each other.

  • EA buys 20% of UbiSoft

    • Thrik
    • December 21, 2004 at 8:07 AM

    http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCo ... 746_newsml

  • Who's in?

    • Thrik
    • December 21, 2004 at 6:19 AM

    Back to the subject, yeah I'm in. It's going to be tight though, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get what I want to get done.. done.

  • The Return of Fletch (to Plano) (for like a week)

    • Thrik
    • December 21, 2004 at 2:09 AM

    I'll warm you up some day Kleiny!~

  • HL2DM - Scorpius

    • Thrik
    • December 21, 2004 at 1:24 AM

    Yar, looks good. Dunno if it's the angle, but your texture up right below the window looks kind of stretched. Other than that, it looks nice -- excellent lighting.

  • GameSpot Awards

    • Thrik
    • December 20, 2004 at 11:46 PM

    Haha, Doom 3? Shooter of the year? Give me a break. It looked pretty, and that's it. It even got an award for its engine. Other than that, it's highly dire.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™