1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • banned ?!?!

    • Thrik
    • July 11, 2005 at 1:09 PM

    That's probably because IRC is real time, and the people that use it tend to convey themselves more than they would on a forum. People tend to moderate themselves a bit more on forums, and you're not really seeing the real picture behind most people. What you're seeing on IRC is not people being warped by the evils of internet relay chat, but people not holding themselves back.

    Plus IRC has a lot of dickheads on it, which goes without saying for such a medium here no kind of registration or divulging of so much of an IP is necessary, allowing total anonymity. You just have to learn to ignore/ban those people, rather than banning regular guys like h2o! >

  • The voice behind Alyx Vance

    • Thrik
    • July 10, 2005 at 6:24 PM

    Lots of the characters in HL2 were modelled after the voice actors too.. there's a bunch of comparison photos in that HL2 book you could/can buy. Valve clearly have some kind of fetish with giving their characters more depth, even if 99% of people will never know.

  • banned ?!?!

    • Thrik
    • July 10, 2005 at 2:50 PM

    4 actually.

  • banned ?!?!

    • Thrik
    • July 10, 2005 at 2:44 PM
    Quote from D3ads

    That's pretty lame even for Urban's standards :/

    [23] <_OveRLorD_> go take pre algebra again

    [23] !k _OveRLorD_ no

    [23] *** _OveRLorD_ was kicked by ChanServ (no (D3adlode))

    [23] <_OveRLorD_> lol

    [23] *** _OveRLorD_ was kicked by D3adlode (I dislike bold type)

    [19] !addpeon oM3n

    [19] :

    [19] *** oM3n was kicked by D3adlode (+v)

    [19] * Olpainless eats D3adlode

    [19] *** Olpainless was kicked by D3adlode (don't eat me bitch (ops abuse no 10202393837) this kick was sponsored by http://www.hangin-comic.com !)

    [19] pwned

    [19] someone setinfo so I look l33t

    [19] kthx

    [19]

    [19] !setinfo *** Olpainless was kicked by D3adlode (don't eat me bitch (ops abuse no 10202393837) this kick was sponsored by http://www.hangin-comic.com !)

    [00] * |HCC|Fishy uses hsi arm to punch d3

    [00] *** |HCC|Fishy was kicked by D3adlode` (ops abuse)

    [21] ill do wahtever i want, my channel

    [21] IS NOT!

    [21] oh wait

    [21] yes it is

    [21] *slap*

    [21] if your name was EuroBrews it would rhyme with "lose"

    [21] :DD

    [21] *** Edd was kicked by D3adlode` (ops abuse no. 098776532115636)

    [22] Tool pwn staind

    [22] *** Toasteh was kicked by D3adlode` (nope)

    [22] har~

    [22] owned

    [23] *** terrorist has joined #mapcore

    [23] sup every1

    [23] *** terrorist was kicked by D3adlode (counter-terrorists win)

    [19] dang

    [19] Welcome to #help pinkpanda, how may I help you?

    [19] *** CTsWin was kicked by D3adlode (no advertising )

    [19] oh fuck

    [19] I missed

    [19] *** LeperMessiah was kicked by D3adlode (No advertising )

    [17] *** gorbacheoff has joined #mapcore

    [17] *** gorbacheoff was kicked by D3adlode (communist bastard)

    [21] *** _OveRLorD_ is now known as _OveRLorD_masterbating

    [21] *** _OveRLorD_masterbating was kicked by d3 (have fun)

    LOL D3!!!!!!!

  • banned ?!?!

    • Thrik
    • July 10, 2005 at 12:51 AM
    Quote from Mazy

    .. people should only be banned when they're actually disturbing and annoying most of the channel.

  • Your best Battlefield 2 moment so far...

    • Thrik
    • July 9, 2005 at 10:23 AM

    http://www.teamkilled.net/?newsid=1120896448

    http://www.teamkilled.net/?newsid=1120896448

    http://www.teamkilled.net/?newsid=1120896448

    http://www.teamkilled.net/?newsid=1120896448

    Bloody DICE!! D:<

  • The Thing

    • Thrik
    • July 3, 2005 at 6:28 AM

    That's what you get for making a thread about a three year old game.

  • Battlefield 2 Demo is OUT!

    • Thrik
    • June 23, 2005 at 8:48 PM

    Uh, the demo is probably what has guaranteed BF2's general success, managing to impress almost everybody who's played it, including those who disliked the previous Battlefield games and would almost certainly have never bothered trying it out otherwise. Its popularity is pretty clear due to it managing to equal HL2's global online player count at times, and it getting rave ratings everywhere.

  • Battlefield 2 Demo is OUT!

    • Thrik
    • June 21, 2005 at 9:56 PM

    Battlefield 2 is just a genuinely fun game, in a way that I have honestly not experienced in a long time. It's the type of game that I can play with everything turned to low and it looking like shit, and still really enjoy it despite the crap visuals, purely because it is so goddamned fun. I'd imagine that many people think the same, and I really cannot see how anybody can't enjoy this game without having some kind of unrelated grudge against it.

    Best game in ages. Can't wait to buy the full version. Here's hoping for Battlefield 3, continuing the logical progression into the near future -- think C&C: Generals. ;D

  • M.I.A

    • Thrik
    • June 17, 2005 at 6:07 PM

    Did I just hear negative banter relating to Battlefield 2?

  • Battlefield 2 Demo is OUT!

    • Thrik
    • June 17, 2005 at 12:54 PM

    Yes, press caps lock to open up the commander view. It took me a while to work that one out, since I'd never noticed that you can get a similar view up using the same key whilst a squad leader. They're both very similar. As for the special features you didn't see..

    Squad leaders:

    - Can right-click waypoints anywhere on the map which will appear for all people in the squad.

    - Anybody in the squad can spawn from the squad leader's current position.

    - Can directly call for artillery/uav/supply support from the commander on specific locations with the caps lock right-clicking interface.

    Commander:

    - Can select squads and then right-click a waypoint on the map, kind of like the squad leader except it will only show the waypoint for the squad leader. It's then up to him to waypoint his own men there.

    - Can drop artillery/uav/supply support wherever he wants either using the caps lock interface or by simply pointing somewhere in first person and using the secondary radio menu (like the normal "I need backup!" etc one, except with stuff like "call for artillery drop" on it).

    - Gets an overview of the entire map whilst in the caps lock interface, and can zoom right in to a birds eye view of the actual combat. You can then spot enemies whilst zoomed in this close and right-click them to indicate them to your men.

    Personally, I much prefer playing as a squad leader than a commander. You get a lot of the commander's features, such as all the waypointing stuff, except you also get more direct control over your men and lead them into battle. A commander is more broad, and you end up just sitting there in the commander view telling different squads where to go and dropping supplies and shit when squad leaders ask for them.. it gets kind of boring. Usually if you're a squad leader and ask for artillery somewhere, the commander will do it for you anyway since he gets a little thing telling him to.

    Squad leaders also get the whole "people can spawn from him" thing, which is just awesome for getting a big group of you together for an assault. Generally, I have a lot more fun playing as a squad leader since I like to take a leading position without having to manage the whole damn war. I'm better at directing and taking over individual areas bit by bit. The waypointing system really makes this easy to order your men, and it really is one of the best features of a game in years. The last time I enjoyed a similar control system was in PlanetSide, which is an MMOFPS. In fact, I find that BF2 has a lot of the features which more "epic" games like PlanetSide have. It's almost like an MMO game without the MMO, when you play on no time limit servers (213.253.57.56 is the Thrik's server of choice). God this game is great.

    So yeah, that sums it up.

  • Battlefield 2 Demo is OUT!

    • Thrik
    • June 16, 2005 at 11:51 PM

    Yes, the visuals are great. Granted, they're not so hot if you lack the hardware brute force to actually display them fully, but if you do with all the bells and whistles then it looks extremely nice considering that it's such a large and open game. Try to do this on most other engines and they'd probably fall over and die immediately.

  • Why is this forum so Goddamned dead?

    • Thrik
    • June 15, 2005 at 11:54 PM

    Got it mostly done animation wise, and I'm happy to proclaim that I hope to never do 2D animation like this again -- it is such a pain in the arse. 3D is clearly superior.

    http://www.garry.tv/thrik/projectstuff/testversion/

    Put some shit sounds/music over the top, also made the Photoshop version of the site and shit. Still need to html/css the latter, and the animation could use some brief voice acting if anyone here feels up to speaking for the ball. ;)

    (please)

  • Hitman: The Movie D:

    • Thrik
    • June 15, 2005 at 2:04 PM

    God.

  • DICE Devchat about BF2

    • Thrik
    • June 15, 2005 at 2:48 AM
    Quote from Tequila

    And a terrible bug where pressing enter to return a typed message activates the actual normal button binding, in this case ejecting me from a flying Blackhawk as I'm trying to organise my squad.

    I really did "lol" at that thought.

  • Battlefield 2 Demo System Specs And Settings

    • Thrik
    • June 14, 2005 at 3:46 PM

    AMD XP 2800+

    GeForce 6600GT

    512mb DDRAM

    Most settings on LOW, with the exception of view distance being at about 65% and the general lighting (not dynamic) and textures being on medium. Played at 800x600.

    Runs pretty smoothly, and I could probably bump most settings up if I had more RAM. Since I don't, it stutters if I try.

  • Battlefield 2 Demo is OUT!

    • Thrik
    • June 12, 2005 at 2:41 PM

    I have to say, I very rarely have problems hitting people when I'm shooting people with the special forces weapon. I've often hit people easily on the top of that big crane whilst proned on the ground after about 6 seconds of burst firing (VERY IMPORTANT IN BF2).

    However, I sometimes get what I can only assume is a bug with my special forces weapon where it will only fire in semi automatic mode. Is this some bind I'm accidentally hitting, or some crazy bug?

  • Battlefield 2 Demo is OUT!

    • Thrik
    • June 12, 2005 at 2:38 PM

    Yeah, I did a little research of my own and it fits in with what FrieChamp said.

    The Nvidia drivers which come with BF2 are in actual fact brand new, far more recent than those available right now from Nvdia's own website. BF2 comes with 77.30 (June 9th 2005), whilst the official site lists 71.89 (April 1st 2005). Guru3d.com has had the 77.xx driver series on their website for a short while because it was leaked from Nvidia's press site. I can only assume that these drivers are totally tailored for BF2, considering that Nvidia are also sponsoring the game.

    So, yeah. Install the driver which comes with BF2 (making sure to uninstall your existing one first in add/remove programs!!). You can also conveniently grab the driver here, which might I add is an excellent site for getting beta/upcoming drivers before Nvidia release them. Often, Nvidia never release a lot of their drivers officially and just compile them into one "big fix" driver release every few months. I install most of these beta drivers, and they very rarely have any problems, and yet continually fix a lot of game specific bugs.

    On a side note, these latest drivers supposedly reduce a series 6 Nvidia card's running temperature by 10 degrees.

  • Battlefield 2 Demo is OUT!

    • Thrik
    • June 12, 2005 at 1:18 PM

    I got the bug too, I managed to get rid of it by turning dynamic lighting/shadows off, though. I would have anyway, since my RAM cannot carry this game properly.

  • Battlefield 2 Demo is OUT!

    • Thrik
    • June 11, 2005 at 7:45 PM

    Can anyone provide info on the other maps we can expect? I'm sure I saw a screenshot of a fairly big, lush map at one point. I wouldn't mind having a bit more of that on my plate.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™