1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • Are you going to change webbrowser?

    • Thrik
    • October 7, 2005 at 4:57 PM
    Quote from Quakis
  • So you've replaced the old threads...

    • Thrik
    • October 3, 2005 at 9:07 AM

    The chances of them being restored without being physically reposted are slim. It's not impossible, but the finnicking around with the database would make it thoroughly not worth it.

  • Forum Redux

    • Thrik
    • October 3, 2005 at 9:04 AM

    As a forum user, I don't generally need much more than the basics (post creation, post editing, sufficient information to accompany each post such as when it was posted and by whom). Signatures and avatars are also nice, and often encourage people to post more since they get to show off their imagery skills or advertise their site.

    The more superfluous things like calenders and such are fairly unnecessary, and to be honest I don't think I've ever used one in my years of foruming. I don't really make use of Who's Online much either, apart from the inline version which sits at the top of forums (and sometimes threads) depending on the software. Searching and memberlists are generally useful, though. The latter less so.

    Having some level of self-customization is also a must, such as how many threads/posts I can view per page. I personally like having a lot of threads on one page, but roughly the default amount of posts per page. If a forum doesn't let me adjust those, I get a bit upset. A small profile is also nice, and is good for getting in touch with other forum members. Custom fields such as the IRC network/channel you frequent are good too, though slightly redundant on this particular forum.

  • F.E.A.R. MP demo out!

    • Thrik
    • September 29, 2005 at 5:23 PM

    Mirr0rz: http://www.teamkilled.net/news/1128039759/

  • Perfect Dark Zero clips online.

    • Thrik
    • September 26, 2005 at 3:58 PM

    Gears of War? 'tis what all those old Unreal Engine 3 screenshots were of.

  • Perfect Dark Zero clips online.

    • Thrik
    • September 26, 2005 at 3:32 PM

    So, does Perfect Dark Zero not just play like the original Perfect Dark then?

    As for the videos, I'm not hugely impressed. Some of the technical stuff is obviously nice, but from an artistic direction perspective it seems very uninspired. It should be the shit quality, it could just be the area shown, but it didn't seem like a particularly nice looking area.

    Judgement reserved.

  • The Ascendancy - Excellent Maps for HL2DM

    • Thrik
    • September 25, 2005 at 9:02 PM

    You might want to look into getting a more memorable domain, though. If you can't afford a top level domain (.net, .com), you could always go have a look at http://www.afraid.org. Click the registry link on the side and you'll find an absolute shitload of domains -- you can create a subdomain from any of those. Just make an account, then set up a web redirector.

    You can use the ones that say 'private' next to them, but the person who owns it could later revoke it from you if he chooses. Also, try to avoid the domains which don't have many people already using them -- there is a risk that these could one day randomly go down, whilst the super popular ones are more likely to be continually renewed.

    eg: http://ascendancy.uk.to/ is one you could have.

  • The Ascendancy - Excellent Maps for HL2DM

    • Thrik
    • September 25, 2005 at 8:59 PM

    I wouldn't be too concerned about the design. I mean, it doesn't look bad, so there's not much point in ripping it apart if you don't particularly feel enthused to do so. The current one does the job, it's easy to navigate, and above all the content is there -- that's what really matters.

    With no disrespect intended, I'd take your design over the LanManiax design anyday simply because it's far quicker and easier to navigate through. No frames, no huge imagery, just a simple design. Sure, some bits could use tidying up, but the format you have is solid.

  • The Ascendancy - Excellent Maps for HL2DM

    • Thrik
    • September 25, 2005 at 1:26 AM

    Yes, good plan. I was looking for some good HL2DM maps to host a couple of weeks ago, and the choice was absolutely Goddamned abysmal. I ended up downloading throughly eighty, and only six or so were any good. The rest were plagued by terrible layout, design or workmanship. Some looked really nice in screenshots, then you'd download them and find that the mapper has no optimization knowledge whatsoever and it runs at 1fps.

  • Sexual consent.

    • Thrik
    • September 22, 2005 at 11:06 PM

    You're right. I mean, perhaps if I lived in Nottingham I could one day become as successful as you.

  • Sexual consent.

    • Thrik
    • September 22, 2005 at 9:28 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.garry.tv/thrik/soq.gif]

  • Sexual consent.

    • Thrik
    • September 21, 2005 at 8:24 PM

    This is borderline EOT, but this is such a fantastic video that it really shouldn't be missed. Also, possibly old. Pedantic types who'd thoroughly enjoy pointing out that may freely go slaughter themselves.

    http://www.atomfilms.com/contentPlay/vi ... ay=1&brand

  • What game started it for you?

    • Thrik
    • September 16, 2005 at 3:29 AM

    Thread Quality: -500pts.

  • BONE is out!

    • Thrik
    • September 15, 2005 at 10:04 PM

    Yeah, they made an atrocious choice when they decided to use the very beginning of the game as the demo content. I hear it picks up quite rapidly later on, but it doesn't exactly enthuse you to buy it and find out.

    Still, I'll get it at some point since I do want to let Telltale amass more funds (since it's obviously a low budget affair) so they can make a better product of SM2. It'd also be nice for a publisher to approach them, which might be more viable now that they have a serious license under their control.

  • Sam & Max 2 no longer cancelled ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    • Thrik
    • September 15, 2005 at 7:58 PM

    You act like we don't understand the current games industry, Hipshot.

    Yes, obviously it has a challenge ahead of it. The point is that it's being given a second chance, and it remains to be seen whether or not it'll be a quality title or not. There's no point in idle speculation at this point.

  • Sam & Max 2 no longer cancelled ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    • Thrik
    • September 15, 2005 at 7:10 PM

    http://www.teamkilled.net/news/1126835388/

    OMG.

  • What game started it for you?

    • Thrik
    • September 11, 2005 at 4:06 PM

    The earliest game I can really remember playing was one of the Dizzy games. I had them all, so I forget which came first.

    [Blocked Image: http://toggle.jufu.org/covers/dizzy2.jpg]

    Such a beautiful game. ;(

  • You will play this HL2 single-player expansion.

    • Thrik
    • September 5, 2005 at 7:33 AM

    My perception was that you are playing a human intended to become a stalker, and most likely a Combine soldier later down the road. I recall "you would have become one of them" also being in there somewhere, which makes me assume that you were a citizen possibly voluntarily on the road to combine..ness.

    My perception, anyway! ;

  • You will play this HL2 single-player expansion.

    • Thrik
    • September 4, 2005 at 1:34 PM

    Yeah, the narrative text itself was an interesting concept but the fact that it's just text completely demolishes the impact it could have. If you had a good voice actor behind that who could play the part of some anonymous, cocky oddo then it would probably work, and possibly even be a bit creepy. Perhaps this should be put forward to the author, who is Adam Foster by the way.

  • You will play this HL2 single-player expansion.

    • Thrik
    • September 4, 2005 at 12:57 PM

    I personally liked the narrative style, although it would have been far better if it came through with static-ridden speech rather than just text. It has the potential to be a great device if only it were better executed. Perhaps that's just a matter of opinion, though.

    As for the gameplay itself, I found the general way that it all fit together appealing. For example, going down into the dodgy prison-like area to open up the door which you'd passed earlier on the surface, then finding another way down further on. I also liked how the whole thing was just one island, and it actually felt like a fully dimensional island to me. Not just a bunch of disjointed coastal stretches like HL2. I mean, it's nothing particularly amazing or innovative don't get me wrong, but it was solid.

    That said, it obviously does have some flaws. That last bit with all the corridors was considerably less engaging than the surface tension, and it obviously would benefit from being more than level since it's only given us a mild taste of what's to come. Overall though, the positives far outweigh the negatives for me and I enjoyed it.

    PS: I actually found it quite challenging on even medium, and died a whole bunch of times. Maybe I just suck at games.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™