1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • So how is this with work visa for the USA?

    • Thrik
    • December 22, 2005 at 6:48 AM

    Heh, Klein. That article at the bottom of the page is slightly depressing.

    Quote

    Ultimately I decided against continuing the battle, though. I had depleted almost all of my financial resources, I was wary of entering a long legal case that I might not win, and I had just received a solid offer from Acclaim in the UK. As such, I felt it better to cut my losses.

    Quote

    Looking back, I try to view the experience as character forming. Perhaps I was naive about United States public officials. But I can't complain too much: my career in the UK has prospered since I returned from the United States.

    Wonder what he's doing now.

  • Hitting The Wall..

    • Thrik
    • December 20, 2005 at 8:53 PM
    Quote from Izuno

    Get more exercise.I'm totally serious. Sometimes I'd be mapping for weeks...and realize I'm running out of Steam (pun intended for those of you seeking puns). So when I feel that way, I'll go work out for 30 minutes or something, take a shower, come back to the computer and often I'm inspired. Things like running and biking, or even walking, work best for me.

    Exercise?

    ... D:

    "Exercise"?

  • New site for me as well!! :D

    • Thrik
    • December 20, 2005 at 4:20 PM

    Yes, a header will improve it 100x. I enjoy how the menu buttons' hover background matches the base of the gradient, though. :)

  • Best burning program

    • Thrik
    • December 18, 2005 at 9:08 PM

    In Headface's world, that was amusing.

  • !!!! BABY ALARM !!!! CONGRATULATIONS TO KUNGFUSQUIRREL

    • Thrik
    • December 18, 2005 at 6:29 PM

    Omg, it is cute.

  • Best burning program

    • Thrik
    • December 17, 2005 at 5:44 PM

    Easy used to be pretty good when I last used it a few years ago. Nero comes with Nero Express now which I assume was inspired by Easy and totally simplifies it to hell, but the advanced stuff is still there if you want it. Personally I would fully recommend Nero at the moment.

    They all have their own pros and cons though~

  • Best burning program

    • Thrik
    • December 17, 2005 at 2:43 PM

    Yep.

  • Darwina

    • Thrik
    • December 17, 2005 at 12:40 AM

    I've only played a bit of the demo, but it does seem pretty hot. The main thing that stood out was the control system -- it felt really intuitive. The way the camera follows your mouse in unison with the cursor/wasd key movement is fantastic, and I love how you control your guys. It could have so easily turned out horribly, but instead it's the kind of thing I want to see in more RTS games. D:

    Innovation. Serious business.

  • Source Engine Upgrade on its way.

    • Thrik
    • December 10, 2005 at 8:48 PM

    Yeah, I was saying in #mapcore last night how all this stuff would pretty much make Source the number one platform for creating actual good machinima on. The film grain does seem like the booby of the four effects though; the other three have so much more potential -- especially colour balance.

    All we really need is more powerful recording abilities. You know, like the ability to record a scene, then go back to the beginning and record yourself doing something else in the same scene -- kind of like the "ghost" racers you'd get in Mario Kart and such. You could produce some seriously cool stuff all by yourself rather than having to either do some heavy entity work in Hammer or get a bunch of friends to act it out.

  • Sony makes a bold move to push it's console..

    • Thrik
    • November 25, 2005 at 7:57 PM

    Thanks. I wasn't questioning your facts or anything; I just don't know them all myself.

  • Sony makes a bold move to push it's console..

    • Thrik
    • November 25, 2005 at 3:03 AM

    What are you basing that claim on, Kosmo?

  • Sony makes a bold move to push it's console..

    • Thrik
    • November 24, 2005 at 3:30 PM

    Heh.

    I think everybody knew that MS shot themselves in the financial gob with their original Xbox pricing, but I really can't believe that they've gone and done it again. They must either really not care about making a profit or are just thick.

  • Sony makes a bold move to push it's console..

    • Thrik
    • November 24, 2005 at 2:02 PM

    I don't think there's really any argument that most of us prefer PCs, Kosmo. My point was that the majority of those who purchase consoles don't see an issue with the price at all because, unlike us, it's all they get. The power of PC gaming comes at the terrible sacrifice of constantly having to keep up with the hardware race. Console gaming is a bit more relaxed, and that's what your generic Xbox owner wants.

  • Sony makes a bold move to push it's console..

    • Thrik
    • November 23, 2005 at 10:26 PM

    Yes, personally I think that consoles are very cheap considering the specification that goes in them. If you were to get that lot for a PC you would be looking at a slightly upsetting sum (bearing in mind that you'd also need additional stuff for HD support and whatnot).

    It's just that in general, PC owners can't get their head around the fact that most people who buy consoles aren't also paying for maintenance PC upgrades every year or so. As such, they can afford to drop a few hundred on a gaming rig that will last them several years.

  • Looking

    • Thrik
    • November 23, 2005 at 6:42 PM

    Heh, Peris is totally right if you want to make some more traditional stuff. Hell, why not resurrect the 2D adventure genre via Flash?

    But for 3D stuff, your only satisfying route is to modify an existing game simply because of quality. All of these 'make a game' programs seem to either be really limited, look absolutely horrible (FPS creator), or both. Programming the games from scratch is probably out of your depth too since you'd not only have to learn how to do the mechanics, but also the artwork side. This is why people specialize, as doing it all != fun.

  • Red Orchestra goes retail....via Steam

    • Thrik
    • November 23, 2005 at 6:36 PM

    Because it's not a mod. Read the interview.

    But yeah, this is good stuff. I still reckon Valve are going to end up as a super-major player in the digital publishing business as time goes on. No end of third-party games have signed up with them in the past few months alone -- HL2 really opened the floodgates. They have a (what is now) stable system, a huge userbase and it's already on many PC gamers' systems. It's ideal for developers who don't want to front physical publishing costs.

  • Job offer for you artsy guys

    • Thrik
    • November 19, 2005 at 9:12 PM

    I would quite seriously be capable of murdering somebody prepared to suggest using AJAX in a html based resume.

  • Job offer for you artsy guys

    • Thrik
    • November 19, 2005 at 4:42 PM

    .....

  • can't remember if we already addressed this...

    • Thrik
    • November 18, 2005 at 10:35 PM

    Mojo is Doctor Poque! D:~

    [Blocked Image: http://olympus.tkvault.net/images/poque.jpg]

  • What is your console game of the year for 2005?

    • Thrik
    • November 14, 2005 at 3:19 PM

    Speaking of console music, though, I got the two Katamari Damacy games' music last night. My God, talk about best fucking ever. It is the ultimate ':D' music.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™