1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • Logging In

    • Thrik
    • August 7, 2006 at 6:00 PM

    This has been pointed out a lot of times before but for the same of tradition:

    If you find yourself logged out, make sure you haven't gone to mapcore.net instead of http://www.mapcore.net. For some reason PHPBB treats the two as two totally different sites, so if you're usually logged in via one and follow a link to the other, it'll show you as logged out.

    The real pain is that if you try to log in on one, it seems to wipe your cookie for the other. So before logging in, check that URL.

  • Guitar newb

    • Thrik
    • August 5, 2006 at 12:55 PM

    Time for a rebirth of the "post recordings of your instrument" thread I think guys??

  • System Shock 3

    • Thrik
    • August 2, 2006 at 10:33 PM

    Eh. I'm more excited about Bioshock really. All EA have got is the name since it's not the same developers who'll be working on SS3 so thus far there's nothing to suggest it'll be any good.

  • Guitar newb

    • Thrik
    • August 1, 2006 at 11:40 PM

    Mapcore band?????

  • No more E3?

    • Thrik
    • July 30, 2006 at 9:54 PM

    I can't be bothered rewriting my whole opinion as it's on my blog (see sig), but I am generally pretty happy about this. E3 is an exciting time of year for sure, but if its lack of domination means smaller shows can exist throughout the year then I'll be a happy bum.

  • Oblivion sounds

    • Thrik
    • July 28, 2006 at 3:38 PM

    Wait, you live in France Koko? Why have you got the french version then? I thought it was just Canada that speaks french...

  • Oblivion sounds

    • Thrik
    • July 27, 2006 at 11:35 PM

    Someone could send you their English voices. As far as I'm aware there were some pretty big name voice actors in the original set, so they should be pretty good.

  • Warning Signs. What would it take for you to know?

    • Thrik
    • July 23, 2006 at 2:48 PM

    Yeah I guess it'll differ from studio to studio Tom, but I'd have thought that for D3 to go after a job these days (or in a few years as he seems to be implying) he's going to need as much ability in the whole area as possible.

    I mean I'm not a fortune teller so I dunno what things'll be like in five years or whatever, but I'm guessing that studios will at least want some rudimentary skills in each art area just so they can interact with others in their department better. It might not be a job requirement, but if other workplaces are anything to go by then they'll go for those guys who can first. I imagine the games industry will get busier and more demand on people to get their foot in too.

  • Warning Signs. What would it take for you to know?

    • Thrik
    • July 22, 2006 at 11:56 PM

    I'm not dissing you or anything, it's just I recall you once going on about how you'd really like to work in the industry. But if all of your skills are completely irrelevant due to them being based around an obsolete engine, you may as well not have done the work at all. It's like going for an IT job and walking in with eight years experience with Office 1995 but little with Office XP. They'll go with the guy who's stayed on the cutting edge of technology and is truly motivated to keep up with developments.

    If you're planning to work in the industry then what you need to do is tackle the problem of not being able to produce sufficient quality models. By continuing to cling onto HL1 you're just falling further and further into a hole that's going to continuously get deeper as engines progress and more modelling is required. Because let's face it, modelling is an unavoidable component of modern 3D design, and you're going to have to embrace it sooner or later. Needless to say, later is not good.

  • the german TV is fucked up

    • Thrik
    • July 22, 2006 at 11:53 AM

    They do sex education here when you're 9, so I think I'll be able to largely avoid that problem.

  • Warning Signs. What would it take for you to know?

    • Thrik
    • July 22, 2006 at 3:24 AM

    It's seriously time to cut your losses and move on to another engine D3. It's been almost two years since Half-Life 2 came out now.

    Do you plan to work on stuff for completely obsolete engines for the rest of your life, always staying behind the pack? It seems really daft to me to waste time on an engine that is pretty much incapable of impressing anyone nowadays. Even Nightwatch's visuals paled in comparison to pretty much anything on Source, even if they were incredible by HL1's standards.

    I mean I don't know if you're planning to work in the industry or anything D3, but spending all your time on an almost completely irrelevant engine doesn't seem like the best way to go about it.

  • the german TV is fucked up

    • Thrik
    • July 21, 2006 at 2:35 PM
    Quote from FrieChamp

    Yes at some point the kid will be exposed to sex, violence and other things, but I simply do not think that these are matters which should be in the mind of a 10 year old or younger.

    Were you aware of them at that age? If not, you're pretty damn special.

  • the german TV is fucked up

    • Thrik
    • July 20, 2006 at 9:37 PM

    I think it's some kind of delusion for adults that kids are totally ignorant of sex and stuff. I was playing Duke Nukem 3D when I was like eight, and I know the same applies to lots of other people. I also caught glimpses of violent films, heard about sex at school, etc.

    A lot of people assume they even though they were exposed to sex at a young age and turned out fine, nobody else was. Mino's comment above about thinking he's an exception is a classic example of this.

    The fact is that almost everybody is exposed to sex/etc at a young age because they're unavoidable components of human life. I'm sorry if that comes to a surprise to anyone, but it's a fact. Kids aren't as naive/unexposed/innocent as you'd like to think, and there's nothing you can do about it save for removing all electrics in the home and preventing them from attending school.

    While I don't agree with showing that programme at 6pm since it's clearly inappropriate enough to piss off a lot of people, I think the "Omg it is stripping away the kids' innocence!" comments are complete nonsense. The only thing it's stripping away is parents' confidence that their kids don't know about sex, drugs and sex. xD

  • Team Fortress 2 still alive :o

    • Thrik
    • July 20, 2006 at 1:38 AM

    I wonder how concing will work now.

    It'd be an interesting evolution if they actually made you a bit more physical, so if you go flying into a wall you don't just slide down it like in TFC — instead you SLAM into it and then fall to the ground in a big ragdolly heap of death.

    Obviously it'd have to be tuned so it doesn't kill you every time. Perhaps if you hit it gently enough the medic/scout could attempt a bit of Spiderman and stick out his legs so he hits the wall by the feet and then slides down a la TFC.

  • Team Fortress 2 still alive :o

    • Thrik
    • July 19, 2006 at 6:52 PM

    No it isn't Koko, those are the cinematic Source effects (colour correction, motion blur, depth of field, film grain) that were unveiled/demonstrated a few months ago and as of yet haven't appeared in any games, with the exception of the film grain that is now in DOD:S. Scripted as fuck, but still in-engine.

    But yeah, I guess a gameplay video would have been nice but this is still some damn good advertising. It's also important to remember that this is 2006 and it's been a long time since the last TF game, so there's lots of people out there who've simply never played one.

    Yeah it sounds insane, but it's true. You show all the guys who were 8-10 when TFC came out but are now 14-16 a bunch of clips of TF in action and they'd be 100% confused, so this video introduces them to the roles available in the game quite nicely. Hopefully Valve will be smart and follow it up with gameplay footage before long though.

    I really enjoyed the scripting though. Valve are truly awesome at doing traditional cinematic type stuff, but since they've got a tradition of making their games 100% from the eyes of the player you don't get to see it very often. It's nice to have them show it off in trailers.

  • Team Fortress 2 still alive :o

    • Thrik
    • July 19, 2006 at 6:33 PM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7335932141

  • Team Fortress 2 still alive :o

    • Thrik
    • July 19, 2006 at 6:01 PM

    Oh fucking hell. That looks awesome, and I love the campy style they've got going on. I really hope they get the marketing right to lure in the masses though since quirky, stylish graphics can work against a game.

    I'm uploading a mirror to YouTube now (along with dozens of other people most probably) since a big wmv is a bit bulky for quickly showing to friends so I'll post a link when it's done.

  • Video of Valve's Portal

    • Thrik
    • July 19, 2006 at 1:58 PM

    I liked the voice. I mean I assume they meant it to be cheesy as hell and not all serious.

    As for Portal, I've had a number of people tell me it's a SP puzzle game, so I'm assuming that's exactly what it is. Presumably the technology can/will be expanded upon in the future and taken into a multiplayer context though.

    Can you imagine TF2 with portals?! I can see it now: a spy sneaks into the enemy flag room, opens a portal back to his base, and floods of HWs piss through.

    You should put this in Fortress Forever, Defrag. xD

  • Video of Valve's Portal

    • Thrik
    • July 19, 2006 at 3:07 AM

    I'm kind of finding it hard to believe that you seriously just said that csharp.

  • Video of Valve's Portal

    • Thrik
    • July 18, 2006 at 8:24 PM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    It might be Prey as fuck, but let's face it — it looks fun.

    TF2 video should be up for grabs soon. xD

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™