1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • Post your new years resolutions

    • Thrik
    • December 30, 2006 at 6:50 PM

    Lose the weight I piled on during my last year of college and get back to my original 12 stone.

  • Maintaining my website

    • Thrik
    • December 30, 2006 at 5:47 PM

    WordPress's theme system is completely flexible; for example, to show the post title you just use a small PHP line like <? wordpress_post_title ?>. Best thing to is download the blank theme that comes with no CSS and just easy-to-edit plain HTML; you can convert it into absolutely any design. Nothing will teach you like just downloading it and playing though.

    As for HTML, each page or post (which sits within your template, eg: single.php is a news/blog post, page.php is a static page) can have HTML included in the post itself, although Javascript and stuff really needs to go in the template to avoid issues.

    Rest assured, WordPress can handle pretty much any site you throw at it, and you can even set a post to use a certain template file (eg: h2o.php) which can of course contain any HTML you like without any dynamic stuff at all. You just need to learn how to implement it, and you can't do that without experience.

  • Internet Channel on the Wii

    • Thrik
    • December 29, 2006 at 9:25 PM

    Doesn't the bottom right button on the YouTube flash thing work? Or does the Wii put all internet in stuff in a frame, so you can't enjoy true full-screen display?

  • Post your favorite amiga game back in time

    • Thrik
    • December 29, 2006 at 3:43 AM

    I'd like to mention that I would put Monkey Island waaaay at the top of the list, but since I originally experienced/finished it on the Atari I can't really. Can't remember if I ever had the Amiga copy of it. D:

  • Post your favorite amiga game back in time

    • Thrik
    • December 28, 2006 at 10:44 PM

    Best Amiga game for me has to be:

    [Blocked Image: http://serve.ryanjohnwilliams.com/images/treasure_island_dizzy_cover.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://serve.ryanjohnwilliams.com/images/treasure_island_dizzy_ingame.gif]

    Ignore the fact that it's the Spectrum box. I still have my old Amiga copy stored deep in the vaults, but I can't be bothered finding and scanning it.

    A close runner-up would be:

    [Blocked Image: http://serve.ryanjohnwilliams.com/images/magic_pockets_cover.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://serve.ryanjohnwilliams.com/images/magic_pockets_ingame.png]

    Still got that fucker lying around in the vaults too.

    Really though, the Amiga had loads of classic games. Provided me with a superb childhood.

  • Maintaining my website

    • Thrik
    • December 27, 2006 at 5:08 PM

    The standard these days is to use WordPress, which you download and install to your server; it's described as a blogging platform, but in reality it's just a friendly content management/news system with a different name. It strives for simplicity and power, which is a far cry from the convoluted PHP-Nuke and those other 2000-era systems.

    There're absolutely shitloads of free skins for it if you do a Google search, and the same goes for plug-ins; in addition, as it's pretty much the most popular system out there right now you'll find lots of community support on their forum.

    If you feel a little brave you can even try making your own skin, where you have essentially limitless freedom. It's remarkably flexible, suited to both simple blogs like mine (http://%7boption%7d) and full blown news websites like http://www.relicnews.com/. You can Google for "Powered by WordPress" (with quotes) for many more examples.

    You can also get a hosted version at http://www.wordpress.com/, with paid extras like custom domain and stuff. I prefer it on my own server though, especially as it only takes like five minutes to install as long as your host supports PHP and MySQL.

  • 2006 Game of the Year

    • Thrik
    • December 23, 2006 at 9:09 PM

    Not played Yoshi's Island 2 or New Super Mario Bros on the DS, IR? Probably the best of this year on the system I'd say.

  • WoW Custom Interface

    • Thrik
    • December 23, 2006 at 9:08 PM

    It's about as useless as all those people who waste away their days playing it...... L!OL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This clearly needs moving to gaming discussion though.

  • The annual: Post your christmas tree topic

    • Thrik
    • December 21, 2006 at 7:46 PM

    Very professional looking photo.

    But that tree seems very skinny!

  • Forum buttons?

    • Thrik
    • December 21, 2006 at 3:40 PM

    I don't think there's really anything we can do as you seem to be the only one affected by the problem; others using Firefox, myself included, don't get the problem at all.

    Therefore we have to conclude it's an unusual setting on your own computer causing the problem.

  • Dice got a new homepage

    • Thrik
    • December 21, 2006 at 1:40 PM

    Eh, it's normal in any industry for a company to call themselves the best/premier/ultimate/etc; the only people it generally annoys are their (often smaller) competitors. The site is pretty badly done though.

  • Transformers

    • Thrik
    • December 20, 2006 at 12:57 PM

    Wtf m8s? Best director ever.

  • Playing Wii on the Dell 24 inch

    • Thrik
    • December 3, 2006 at 7:21 PM

    I know multiple Mapcorians have the Dell 24 inch monitor (2405 or 2407), so if any of you have a Wii can you report how well it plays with the Wii? I hear there's a difference between composite and component and that the latter generally looks better, but it all comes down to the specific monitors at the end of the day.

    Wii doesn't come out here until the 8th so no way for me to know right now. If it won't work then it's to the CRT standard definition TV downstairs I guess. Would be nice to know if I can play it in the comfort of my room though.

    Same question goes for the 360 and PS3 I guess as I'll probably end up getting both of them before I get a new monitor.

  • Black Mesa Source is back

    • Thrik
    • November 29, 2006 at 9:29 PM
    Quote from Dennispls

    hmm guess im spoiled cause im not impressed

    I think you're in the wrong community, bitch.

  • Black Mesa Source is back

    • Thrik
    • November 29, 2006 at 4:03 PM

    Fucking

  • Casino Royale

    • Thrik
    • November 27, 2006 at 7:37 PM

    I liked it when the black guy did the crazy jump through the thin gap on the ceiling and then Bond just smashed straight through the wall.

  • Wii, 360 or PS3?

    • Thrik
    • November 26, 2006 at 1:26 PM

    Wii, because I really enjoy Nintendo games and have consistently done so since being a very little boy.

    That said, I and pretty much anyone else who plays games more than average will almost certainly end up getting at least the Wii and 360, and I'm seriously considering the PS3 too in half a year, maybe a full year (it doesn't even come out in Europe for four months).

    I think it's a bit early to draw full comparisons between the three though as only one — the Xbox 360 — has the benefit of over a year of momentum. Developers have had lots of time to get a feel for the console, and more kick-ass games like Gears of War and Viva Pinata () are coming along. Go back to the 360's launch and the games weren't exactly amazing, as launch titles very rarely are. Way too early to dismiss any console in its first few months, as I'm sure you know RD.

    With the likes of Metal Gear Solid 4 and Mario Galaxy, plus Mario Kart, Grand Turismo, Smash Bros, Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, etc on the horizon, things will brighten up for the new entries before long if you ask me.

  • Casino Royale

    • Thrik
    • November 25, 2006 at 2:06 PM

    Watched it last night.

    What a fucking good film, and all the positive hype is completely justified. And yes, it really did feel a lot more like old Bond with the minuscule use of gadgetry and special effects, and more emphasis on awesome camera work and action.

    I mean, wow. I'd happily watch it again right now. Anyone who can really must see it in the cinema to experience it properly.

  • Casino Royale

    • Thrik
    • November 23, 2006 at 9:14 PM

    Yeah dux, I think it was basically the epitome of the team losing their way. They kind of started going there with The World of Not Enough, but that still remained a decent film. It's good that they seem to have realised this and are taking steps to go back to the 'classy' Bond of old, rather than the high-tech gadget-obsessed Bond we saw as of late. I don't just mean Bond himself, but the atmosphere of the films.

    I think I'm pretty much the only person I know IRL who actually loved Tomorrow Never Dies. It had that touch of classyness to me and didn't go overboard on the action, but still had some great scenes. Seemed closer to the old Bond anyway.

  • Casino Royale

    • Thrik
    • November 22, 2006 at 10:03 PM

    In all honesty, I don't think they could do much worse than Die Another Day which just felt extremely shallow.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™