1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • A new shark..

    • Thrik
    • January 25, 2007 at 1:02 PM

    Haha, you made the same mistake I did when I first saw the thread.

    The picture in the first post is of the HL2 ichthyosaur, the giant fish also in HL1. You only see it for like three seconds in HL2 though so I didn't recognise it at first and thought it was a badly cut out rendition of the new shark.

    The actual shark in the video looks similar, which is why killertomato posted i I think.

  • A new shark..

    • Thrik
    • January 25, 2007 at 12:27 PM

    Just to clarify Zacker, you realise the picture in the first post is a screenshot don't you?

  • CES Physics Demo

    • Thrik
    • January 25, 2007 at 9:41 AM

    Wow, I was wondering when LucasArts would show that off. I wasn't too excited when they first started going on about it, and thought Euphoria was just marketing buzz. Seems like it's pretty impressive after all.

  • Nintendo 64 multiplayer games

    • Thrik
    • January 24, 2007 at 11:39 AM

    Ahh, fucking Goldeneye. The pioneer of a new level of excellence in FPS games.

  • Heading for Starbreeze this friday!

    • Thrik
    • January 24, 2007 at 1:31 AM

    Any kind of visual job wants a portfolio available. My solution was to do a very simple website portfolio that'd probably work fine in the most shit web browser in history, and then copy it onto a DVD and keep it in my pocket. During my interview they just asked for the portfolio URL and did it on a computer, but I had the backup just in case.

    Of course if there's no computer handy you're a bit fucked, but my interview was for web design so it was a safe bet. Perhaps you'd be best off printing everything in the portfolio too. For the ultra professional look, take a laptop with your portfolio on it.

  • Mobile Gaming Categories

    • Thrik
    • January 24, 2007 at 1:28 AM

    Put a quality version of Worms on a mobile phone and you have a best seller.

    Call it Thrikz.

  • Maintaining my website

    • Thrik
    • January 23, 2007 at 2:13 PM

    Both aren't really issues in my opinion. You can simply disable the rich text editor (which has now been reworked) and use a normal forum-like poster, or alternatively get a plugin like Textile that lets you use *this* to produce this and stuff like that.


    As for the theming, I can't see how you couldn't put absolutely any design conceivable into WordPress. The only necessity is that you don't try and strip down the default theme, and instead download the blank one that comes with empty divs and a CSS sheet. I often strip it down even further and just put the PHP bits where I need them (eg: print post title, print comment, etc).


    My workflow with producing a HTML/CSS site in WordPress really isn't much different to when I hand code any HTML page: I can do whatever I want with it.

  • Maintaining my website

    • Thrik
    • January 23, 2007 at 11:26 AM

    Bump. The long awaited version 2.1 of WordPress has been released, which supposedly makes it a lot faster due to long overdue optimisation, plus adds a whole stack of nice features. Probably not too exciting for those who don't use WordPress already, but a great upgrade for those who do.

    http://wordpress.org/development/

    Careful though, it's a whole new branch (will be 2.1.1, 2.1.2, etc, instead of 2.0.1, 2.0.2, etc) so while unlikely due to WordPress's superb backwards compatibility, some plug-ins and themes may not work. Best to do a duplicate test installation before upgrading.

  • Post your pic extravaganza 2007!!!~

    • Thrik
    • January 21, 2007 at 1:01 AM

    While emo may have originally only stood as a descriptor of personality, it's very prominently become a recognised style of presentation and the masses regularly use the term exclusively as a classification of style. Whether it's historically correct or not, the term 'emo' is now employed by millions as a way of describing how someone looks. And when it comes to language, the majority dictates what's right.

    So I guess hessi just doesn't like the typical emo look, which I have to agree with. I've never been a fan of that sweeping fringe thing.

  • Post your pic extravaganza 2007!!!~

    • Thrik
    • January 20, 2007 at 3:56 PM

    No don't worry, we established when he first posted a photo that he looks like a mobster or a general hitman.

  • PCGAMER are really taking the piss...

    • Thrik
    • January 16, 2007 at 8:21 PM

    I can't stand magazines like PC Gamer anymore as the content is just so uninspired and like what you can get on the internet. I prefer to spend £4.50 on Edge or something which has a lot more unique written articles and general thoughts on the games industry rather than going for the news/media slant. GamesTM and some other magazines have that mantra too I think.

    Better off getting a GameSpot/GameSpy/IGN subscription or something if you value the media in a magazine.

  • Gabe N diss PS3 - praises Wii

    • Thrik
    • January 16, 2007 at 2:57 PM

    Yeah, I remain really surprised about the PS3's relatively shitty 256mb of memory. Apparently they couldn't even get Linux -- well known for running on just about anything -- to run smoothly with media playback and such because of the RAM.

    Even the 360 isn't sitting that pretty with its 512mb of RAM, even though it's the best of the three.

    In general though, I don't buy consoles for graphics; that's why the Wii's relative lack of strength doesn't bother me too much, as I know games like Zelda: Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy will kick ass regardless. If I really want gut-wrenching graphics, I'll just upgrade my PC; even a non-cutting-edge machine with a modest budget can outdo the current generation of consoles as they're already falling behind, whether 360/PS3 zealots want to admit it or not -- an ongoing tragedy of graphics centric consoles.

  • Gabe N diss PS3 - praises Wii

    • Thrik
    • January 16, 2007 at 12:54 PM

    Didn't HL2 get ported to the Xbox fairly successfully? If that 64mb wonder could handle it then the Wii should be able to, even if nowhere near as beautifully as a PC or a 360/PS3. Though I still think if you're after deeply cinematic gaming like Valve provide, you're better off with the number crunchers rather than the physical fun of the Wii.

  • [Movie]Apocalypto

    • Thrik
    • January 15, 2007 at 5:00 PM

    ^^ Gibson more like Saddam.

  • Mapcore Account Problems UPDATE

    • Thrik
    • January 10, 2007 at 10:16 PM

    I got both a few hours ago.

  • Announcing PlayerRep, new WoW addon

    • Thrik
    • January 2, 2007 at 4:45 PM

    Did you just write that yourself? You sound like either a spam bot or a PR agent.

  • Happy 2007!!!

    • Thrik
    • January 2, 2007 at 11:36 AM

    Hot, passionate love with several supremely attractive girls??

  • I'm going crazy!

    • Thrik
    • January 2, 2007 at 9:47 AM

    Squirrelly your signature is linking to the wrong Child's Play.

  • For fuck's sake...

    • Thrik
    • January 2, 2007 at 9:45 AM

    Wait, do we normally make birthday threads?

  • Post your new years resolutions

    • Thrik
    • December 31, 2006 at 12:27 AM
    Quote from MrH2o

    I never make one since I'm not good at holding them anyway. But i promise you that more and more of my resolutions is going the HD way (and since I made that joke allready I want to hear about your real resolution and not the screen size)

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™