1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • frontlines warfare: best photoshoped "BULLSHOTS" e

    • Thrik
    • February 4, 2007 at 7:35 PM

    Oh. I thought that was just the wall's special effects being really shit or something, like how the paper fur looks weird at certain angles in Viva Piñata.

  • frontlines warfare: best photoshoped "BULLSHOTS" e

    • Thrik
    • February 4, 2007 at 6:42 PM

    I have to admit I have no idea what you're looking at Warby.

  • Post your pic extravaganza 2007!!!~

    • Thrik
    • February 3, 2007 at 10:28 PM

    Holy shit, look at those ghost orbs around your skateboard in the third picture.

  • mapcore family reunion warby zacker and mazy at ioi office

    • Thrik
    • February 2, 2007 at 11:01 AM

    Use [Blocked Image: http://serve.ryanjohnwilliams.com/images/warbeast_headcrab_avatar.gif], it is superb.

    In fact, while you're at it get IO to adopt [Blocked Image: http://serve.ryanjohnwilliams.com/images/warbeast_headcrab_avatar.gif] as the company logo.

  • mapcore family reunion warby zacker and mazy at ioi office

    • Thrik
    • February 2, 2007 at 10:07 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://serve.ryanjohnwilliams.com/images/warbeast_headcrab_avatar.gif][Blocked Image: http://serve.ryanjohnwilliams.com/images/warbeast_headcrab_avatar.gif][Blocked Image: http://serve.ryanjohnwilliams.com/images/warbeast_headcrab_avatar.gif] FTW

  • Favourite SNES moments!

    • Thrik
    • February 2, 2007 at 10:02 AM

    The SNES is so deeply embedded into my childhood that many of my fond, nostalgic memories involve it. Going round to friends' houses for Donkey Kong Country (and its two sequels in later years), working through Super Mario World with other people, etc. Great times -- much better than if I'd just played them alone at home.

    There's nothing specific I can really say beyond that the SNES was awesome, it had awesome games, and I loved it.

  • It's alive... alive!!!

    • Thrik
    • February 1, 2007 at 2:27 PM

    Hahaha.

    The thing is, that trailer released in 2001 or whatever was really awesome and got me so pumped up for it, especially with Duke being a childhood classic of mine and it starting with the old footage. I hope they do a similarly amazing trailer to get people wet, even if it'll be a bit deja vu!

    Ah yes, here's the baby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUAy8hQ3zWM

    The game does have the potential to be absolutely superb, even if as nothing more than mindless action and puzzles like Duke 3D. It's a shame the massive development time hangs over it though as the current version has probably only been in production for a few years (almost all previous assets I'd imagine would have been rendered obsolete long ago) and people are probably expecting some giant game that's been in development for a decade.

  • 360 laptop

    • Thrik
    • February 1, 2007 at 1:13 PM

    Does that make it any less great for those who haven't seen it before?

  • 360 laptop

    • Thrik
    • February 1, 2007 at 11:26 AM

    I just ordered 10.

  • It's alive... alive!!!

    • Thrik
    • February 1, 2007 at 1:25 AM

    Yeah Reno, the world's moved on from mindless shooters full of aliens.

    ...

  • Warby has hit the headlines!

    • Thrik
    • January 30, 2007 at 4:05 PM

    Have to rain on the party don't you Ferret?

    Well done Warbles.

  • Post your room pic extravaganza 2007!!!~

    • Thrik
    • January 28, 2007 at 11:24 PM

    Yeah I agree, I cannot stand any mess being around me. If there is some, it'll be gone within an hour. You guys are filthy, disgusting, shitty, neglectful, dirty slobs.

  • Hour of Victory Announced!

    • Thrik
    • January 28, 2007 at 12:31 AM

    As Klein pointed out KFS, loads of WW2 games follow the format " of ". I was saying I couldn't see a comparable pattern in the film names Lee mentioned, whose name I got mixed up with yours due to having four threads open at once. :oops:

  • Hour of Victory Announced!

    • Thrik
    • January 27, 2007 at 11:49 PM

    I might be being really thick here but I can't actually see the naming pattern in those names KFS, other than having three words I guess but that's not as significant as them all having "of" in the title.

  • Hour of Victory Announced!

    • Thrik
    • January 27, 2007 at 10:53 PM

    We should make a World War 2 game name generator based on this excellent observation.

    Brotherhood of Fire

    Obliteration of Peace

    Direction of Rifle

    Mutiny of Germany

    Era of Heroes

    Movement of Treads

    Endurance of Massacre

    Sons of Hitler

  • Post your pic extravaganza 2007!!!~

    • Thrik
    • January 27, 2007 at 10:28 PM

    I think you misread what Teddy said as having negative vibes, Ferret.

  • PS3 Release in Europe.

    • Thrik
    • January 26, 2007 at 4:40 PM

    Because a lot of publishers are fucking stupid.

    This may not be true, but I read a while ago that while loads of budget is spent on modellers, mappers, artists, etc, etc, etc, hardly any is spent on finding quality writers who can produce a seriously compelling storyline that isn't full of cliches and is generally an uninspired bag of shit.

    I'm inclined to believe it because most games I've played recently are indeed uninspired bags of shit, and I don't think I've actually genuinely laughed at a game in years. It's so rarely that you get a game with a rich storyline like MGS that's got twists a ten-year-old couldn't conjure up that I want to break down into tears.

    I personally believe that a good story, setting, and characters are just as vital to the enjoyment of a game as gameplay as far as leaving an impression on you goes, which is evidenced by games like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island that admittedly haven't got the most exciting gameplay ever (basically just a long string of "Use X with Y, and if that fails try A, B, C, D, E, F, and G with Y" puzzles), but because the story, settings, and characters are so incredibly realised they leave a massive impression on most who play them and indeed make people often quote the as amongst the best games ever.

    It's strange that so many games are still failing to hit the mark regarding balance of the various elements. It's always either too much graphics, too much gameplay (feels sterile), or a massively uninspiring world/story/etc. Then again, the film industry piles out no end of shit too so I guess it's not so surprising after all.

  • PS3 Release in Europe.

    • Thrik
    • January 26, 2007 at 10:22 AM

    I got one in December for £135 with both Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (must get this version as it has a better camera). Best money I've spent in ages -- MGS3 is a work of art.

  • PS3 Release in Europe.

    • Thrik
    • January 26, 2007 at 9:25 AM

    Man, you pretty much seem like exactly the type of person the Wii is aimed at, with gameplay, innovative controls, and the invention of new genres being the main focus (hence it being a lot less powerful than the other next generation consoles, but with a price to match). Not to mention that you can get old NES/SNES/etc games for it.

  • PS3 Release in Europe.

    • Thrik
    • January 25, 2007 at 2:26 PM

    As much as I'd like one, there's no way I can justify shelling out not far off what I'd pay for a brand new PC unit (which I also need) for the console plus a few vital accessories/games. Although the first price drop is likely to be a long way off (Sony just dispelled rumours of an early PS2-like drop of $100), I'll probably hold off until then; at least it'll have an established portfolio of games by that point, one of which'll be Metal Gear Solid 4.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™