1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

How to keep your model nice and clean?

  • FrieChamp
  • September 14, 2004 at 1:48 PM
  • FrieChamp
    • September 14, 2004 at 1:48 PM
    • #1

    How do you guys keep your work clean while modeling? I happen to mess up stuff when I move vertices and such. Is there a way to move vertices on the grid properly, a kind of "snap to grid" function or other methods to make it easier?

    (of course I try to move vertices manually as seldom as possible, but sometimes I just have to D:~)

  • EjrulF
    • September 14, 2004 at 3:41 PM
    • #2

    If your talking about 3dsmax, it has a snap tool. Press S to use it. You can make it snap to grid lines, grid points, vertices etc. I always tries to use it, but I think it sucks, the VHE one works so much better.

  • FrieChamp
    • September 14, 2004 at 3:57 PM
    • #3

    Yea the snap tool isn't a huge help but I just realised when you minimize the grid boxes it helps more.

  • OL
    • September 14, 2004 at 10:47 PM
    • #4

    dont try and align your vertices to a grid when modeling, only the ones that need to line up with the floor or other walls in your map.

    that was the first barrier i had to get over when learning to model, to disreguard the grid. its evil.

  • Duff-e
    • September 14, 2004 at 10:59 PM
    • #5

    or, just disable the grid ;D

  • madcow
    • September 17, 2004 at 1:00 PM
    • #6

    when you are dragging verts around, try to use the x,y,z restrict...so you can only drag x, or only drag y etc..makes it much easier to move them around. you only really need the grid if you a building a prop of some sort, and you want equal dimensions, even then i only use numbers not the grid (snap to grid really lacks in 3dsmax)

  • EjrulF
    • September 17, 2004 at 2:07 PM
    • #7
    Quote from FrieChamp

    (of course I try to move vertices manually as seldom as possible, but sometimes I just have to D:~)

    I always move the vertices, is that bad? :-?

  • OL
    • September 17, 2004 at 3:02 PM
    • #8

    manual moving is critical

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™