1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Gameprogramming Book

  • Nysuatro
  • March 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM
  • Nysuatro
    • March 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM
    • #1

    Hey all,

    I have been searching for a good book to learn c++ for gamedevelopment.

    Do you have some suggestions ?

  • wacko
    • March 11, 2007 at 6:07 AM
    • #2

    I do not think there is a specific book in regards to programming in c++ for games, you find that a lof these books for game programming are more centered around a tech, such as direct x or opengl or they talk about the design aspects from a programmers point of view. Or how you may want to design a certain system of the sorts.

    But here are a couple of books I would recommend giving a read,

    Game Programming Gem Series - there is 6 of these books they update every couple of years and they are a collection of articles wirtten by industry peeps. It talks about a couple of areas and mainly here again how to design or how one would want to design a certain thing. Like an AI system or something.

    Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming - This book gives some intro to c++ and some basic concepts of c++ I would not say its really a game programming book but its not a bad book.

    Programming Game AI by Example - This book is a great book on the topic of AI gives some great examples. I would recommend it.

    These are just a couple game related books, if I had to say what would be best I would just buy c++ books and read those and get more familar with the lang as you will find that seems to help a lot.

    Some books there you may want to look at that I find useful for me, are :

    C++ Primer Plus(5th ed) - Yea this book has it all, there is also a c version thats good.

    C++ in a Nutshell - good ref book

    Windows System Programming (3rd Edition) - pretty good book as well

    Effective C++: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Design

    Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software

    these are just a couple; I think the best way to program a game is to know how to program in general. I think you will find once you know the lang well the rest comes easy. You start to think about how you would attack an issue in a more programmer way.

  • Skjalg
    • March 11, 2007 at 8:04 AM
    • #3

    my roomate has a decent book called "Windows Games Programming"

  • Nysuatro
    • March 11, 2007 at 8:32 AM
    • #4

    OK, thank you very much guys.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™