1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

[WIP] Half-Life 2 Single player map Optimization

  • dmanns
  • June 7, 2006 at 8:24 AM
  • dmanns
    • June 7, 2006 at 8:24 AM
    • #1

    I have run through a gllview and placed hints and done some detailing. But my compile time is still too slow and long due to too many visleaf calculations. Would like some opinion on what to do. thanks. Let me know if you have time to take a look at my map and I'll send it to you with a fast build (bsp) and the vmf.

    Download the map here:

    http://www.mauinteractive.com/hl2/a_dfs_57.zip

  • Lawnmower233
    • June 23, 2006 at 8:42 PM
    • #2

    Hey. Nice map. Hope it turns out good. What struck me first was how it was just in a big hollowed out cube. I'll take a look at it further later after dinner but for now thats my only suggestion.

    Delete that skybox ->

    [Blocked Image: http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/Lawnmower233/01.jpg]

    and put in something like this ->

    [Blocked Image: http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/Lawnmower233/02.jpg]

    Have the skybox made of multiple brushes that hug the edges of your map's geometry like sealing it shut. That's the best way I can describe it. I hope the picture illustrates it better. It'll help vvis alot I hope.

    I wasn't going to suggest the skybox thing because on first view it looked like an RP map because it was so open but now after re-reading it I realise its a single player map. Try and make some map geometry occlude other parts of the map. Unless you do this it wont matter a damn if you have hint brushes because the engine will render most of the map anyway because its visible anyway.

    Also func_areaportals are your friend. I myself never got them working but thats because Im lazy and not because they dont work. They're especially good in single player maps but I've seen them work in multiplayer (cs_assault for CS:S comes to mind). I can't find a tutorial at the moment but do a google search and see what you find.

    Good luck with the map.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™