1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Smoothing Groups in Hammer

  • zeOx
  • January 4, 2006 at 3:14 AM
  • zeOx
    • January 4, 2006 at 3:14 AM
    • #1

    I'm trying to use the smoothing groups function in Hammer, but it doesn't seem to work. I choose the faces I want to smooth (in this case the sides on a cylinder), press any given number in the group-window, and compile only to see no result what so ever.

    anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

  • Defrag
    • January 4, 2006 at 4:32 AM
    • #2

    I noticed the same thing and just gave up on using smoothing groups. :/

  • Campaignjunkie
    • January 4, 2006 at 4:54 AM
    • #3

    Randomly does / doesn't work for me. I just use "-smooth" in vrad.

  • ReNo
    • January 4, 2006 at 1:45 PM
    • #4

    I think the lightmap grids have to line up between the faces in a smoothing group, and even then I don't think they always work. I used them a fair bit when I was working on Echo and they worked very nicely at times, but as has been said they are far from 100% reliable.

  • Steppenwolf
    • January 4, 2006 at 2:40 PM
    • #5

    yea it has to do with the lightmapgrids. i havent played around much with it yet but i believe that when the edge of the lightmap is directly on the edge of the brush the smooting doesnt work

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™