1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Displacement Editor

  • insta
  • June 2, 2005 at 6:10 PM
  • insta
    • June 2, 2005 at 6:10 PM
    • #1

    Saw this over at the Valve-Erc forums :

    Original thread

    Quote

    Like others, I've been frustrated by the limited ability to edit displacements. So I've started on a tool to create displacement curves/bends/arches etc. in a similar manner to the patch meshes of the Q3 engine. Displacements are a lot more powerful as you can edit each vertex independently. The maths was a bit tricky to work out but I've managed to create curved bends so far -

    http://www.symo.clara.net/gfx/disped1.jpg

    Like it says, it's a third-party tool used to create more exotic shapes with displacement maps. I think it looks very interesting, and I look forward to future versions of it. There's already an early version released, click the link at top to check it out (midway down the thread).

  • skdr
    • June 2, 2005 at 6:12 PM
    • #2

    [Blocked Image: http://skdr.dayofdefeat.fi/mapping/displacementmaps.jpg]

    seriously tho. That tool looks great and useful.

  • ReNo
    • June 2, 2005 at 6:14 PM
    • #3

    Could be really useful once its a bit further developed. I suck with displacement surfaces, which is really annoying since I was confident with triangle terrain

  • Zacker
    • June 2, 2005 at 6:17 PM
    • #4

    The displacement editor in VHE 4.0 is indeed lacking. It got a lot of "alpha version" over it when you work with it.

    Seems like he already got some good stuff going with it:

    http://www.symo.clara.net/gfx/roller1.jpg

  • Steppenwolf
    • June 2, 2005 at 8:13 PM
    • #5

    ohhhh i have waited for this!

  • Tequila
    • June 2, 2005 at 8:23 PM
    • #6

    A much needed tool!

  • PhilipK
    • June 2, 2005 at 8:23 PM
    • #7

    tight stuff!

    that should be pretty damn useful.

  • |FRITZ|
    • June 2, 2005 at 8:27 PM
    • #8

    Dispgen

    http://%7boption%7d

    "This program will create a half-life2 displacement map from a height map image. It can read common image formats along with 16bit grayscale tif and pgm image"

    [Blocked Image: http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/images/dispgenrc1.gif]

    A very nifty little tool.

  • Zacker
    • June 2, 2005 at 9:02 PM
    • #9

    In case anyone cares, then this is some of the features I miss:

    - More generation options instead of just noise. Sudivide&displace and ridged perlin would be nice. Multi perlin and ridged multi perlin would be 1337.

    - Some generation options such as glaciation and canyonism to easly create realistic terrain

    - Material distribution options: Min/max slope and min/max altitude

    - Constant subdivide size per quality/power instead of reliant on brush size

    - Blending of more than two materials

    - Editing of two displacements without them stopping to line up

    - Get some proper sliders. They should go from -512 to 512 instead of from 0 to 256.

    - Allow for smoothing on all three axes at the same time

  • mike-0
    • June 2, 2005 at 9:21 PM
    • #10

    FUCKING GOD DAMMIT, i just spent about 45 mintues making a windy road...

    so is this a plugin or a seperate program? if its a seperate program, can i copy-paste the brush or do i have to save it as a vmf and open it in hammer?

  • ReNo
    • June 2, 2005 at 9:37 PM
    • #11

    I'm sure it will just create a .vmf for you to open in hammer, but I haven't tested it.

  • Tequila
    • June 2, 2005 at 9:40 PM
    • #12
    Quote from ReNo

    I'm sure it will just create a .vmf for you to open in hammer, but I haven't tested it.

    It probably will eventually, but for now you're got to do some fiddling, opening .map files in notepad. I think I'll just give it some time to mature before embracing it.

  • insta
    • June 2, 2005 at 11:42 PM
    • #13
    Quote from Tequila

    It probably will eventually, but for now you're got to do some fiddling, opening .map files in notepad. I think I'll just give it some time to mature before embracing it.

    Yeah, it outputs a whole lot of numbers, which you have to manually put into the .vmf file. And I'm on the same boat as you, I'll wait a few more release candidates until I try it out.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™