1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Archived Forums
  4. Portfolios

Recent Graduate Looking For Level Design Portfolio Feedback!

  • JamesThomas
  • February 14, 2019 at 11:12 AM
  • JamesThomas
    • February 14, 2019 at 11:12 AM
    • #1

    Hi there!

    I am currently half way through my portfolio and was hoping I could get a bunch of fresh eyes to take a look over. Any comments about format or how I have communicated my design process across would be hugely appreciated!

    The section I have completed is the 'DodgeBrawl' section, the reason I am sharing it here now is so I can gain feedback on whether or not my structure for that section is good enough for me to apply it to my other upcoming projects.

    Feel free to send as much criticism as possible!

    Thanks :D


    https://www.jamesdesignsgames.com/

  • SultanRankin
    • February 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM
    • #2

    Hey man,

    I see you were working the Transfuzer stand at EGX 2018 in Birmingham last year, I was part of the Snap Hunt team at the time!

    Always interested in helping a brutha' out with their portfolio curation. Please reach out to me on my Twitter, I'd love to do a few rounds of iteration with your website.

  • TheOnlyDoubleF
    • February 14, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    • #3

    Hey @JamesThomas

    Thanks for sharing your portfolio with us.

    There are three key things I would say at the moment:

    - first, the "case studies" and "game modes" are not clickable so we can't access the content

    - When we are not on your landing page / home page, we never see your name or you role. That is an information that should always be at the top of your portfolio.

    - you should make the "more details" links more obvious 'cause if I hadn't looked at it twice, I would have said that it was lacking of explaination in your work( which is not the case). So, find something to make this more obvious, make a big colored square with a "CLICK HERE", I don't know, whatever.

    - Stay consistant! If you're trying to find a job as a junior, why do I see a "Lead design at whatever" in the about me section? Stay consistency in what you say to people, 'cause that's the kind of things people through a "Ew" at. Or precise it is a personnal student project or community thing, whatever.

    - No Resume link? May be you are super junior and you think you have nothing to prepare a CV, but actually, companies will request one so you should try to make one that sells you as a junior level designer and potential good team player.

    - Personnally, I would not put a link to my Facebook profil. This has nothing to do with work. Would put a LinkedIn link there.

    It's not clear neither if you did also the visuals of your dodge ball levels or not. If not, the work with level artist could be appreciated if you think it could be interested.

    Super interesting to see information about playtests!


    Still, good job, that's a very good basis to build upon ;)

  • JamesThomas
    • February 15, 2019 at 12:06 AM
    • #4

    Thanks for taking the time to look over @TheOnlyDoubleF !

    Yeah the 'case studies' and 'game modes' are purposely disabled at the moment as I wanted to get feedback on my DodgeBrawl section before diving into those other projects :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™