1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Creating a skybox from scratch

  • Psyrius
  • September 9, 2015 at 1:07 PM
  • Psyrius
    • September 9, 2015 at 1:07 PM
    • #1

    I've been trying for almost 2 days now, reading tutorials (there's only some old ones) and experimenting with Terragen. My problem is that I really can't get the skybox seamless.

    https://gyazo.com/10a8492be2d75cb727d0ce4a1f40c073

    Maybe something is wrong with camera direction, camera FOV or something. I've done as the tutorials say and I've even experimented on my own for many hours, but I really can't get it to work.

    Do someone have any idea what could be wrong?... and might there be an easier/better solution to create your own skybox than using Terragen?

  • Psyrius
    • September 10, 2015 at 7:22 AM
    • #2

    I think I've figured out this on my own now. Will make a guide later if everything works fine so that not everyone has to spend like 3 days or more following guides that doesn't even work.

  • Radu
    • September 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    • #3

    Creating a skybox can sound pretty easy - 6 textures that blend together at the edges without any visible seams. Simple ones, like clear skies, can be done quite quickly and without too much trouble; more elaborate ones, cloudy skies - multiple types of clouds, can be a pain if you do not have a development process to follow. I think that's what discourages people to create their own skyboxes. There aren't that many tutorials on how to create good quality ones and most of them are completely outdated; and the ones that are valid don't follow the same method.

    I think that a lot of people on this forum would appreciate a clear and relevant tutorial on how to create a skybox. I know I would.

  • Psyrius
    • September 10, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    • #4

    I will make a tutorial soon for all of you here. I've tried to learn how to make a HDR skybox for several hours this morning, but since I've only stepped into trouble and it doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm just gonna make a tutorial on how to make a LDR skybox from the ground and up.

  • Pivac
    • September 10, 2015 at 11:01 AM
    • #5

    This is something I'm interested in as well, looking forward to your tutorial.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™