1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Archived Forums
  4. Portfolios

Andrew Bishop - Environment Artist

  • StormAndy
  • May 28, 2014 at 4:29 AM
  • StormAndy
    • May 28, 2014 at 4:29 AM
    • #1

    Hey guys,

    I'm looking for some clear and honest feedback on my portfolio before I start sending out job applications for envrionment art positions. I've read through a lot of the recommended articles here on map core and I've tried to make it as focused as possible. I'm a little unsure if I should be posting individual assets on my portfolio or just complete scenes I've produced. I figured it would be best quickly showing entire scenes if it is to be viewed whilst quickly looking over job applications.

    My portfolio can be found here http://abishopart.carbonmade.com/


    Thank you for your time,

    -Andy

  • SuperDuperYeah
    • May 28, 2014 at 3:20 PM
    • #2

    Hey Andy !


    Looked over your stuff and I do have a few things to mention. I know using carbon made is considered as being standard in some ways, but I just find it very hard to "stand out" while using this site's template. One of the things you want to do as a professional putting himself out there is to establish a "personal brand" so people can easily identify who you are and also remember who you are. To be honest, I find carbonmade a little bland as there is so many people using it (and the same template with the same color).


    Another thing considering your project presentation. I'd say... don't make me visit another environment artist's portfolio page (UDK mining). Make it as local as it can be. You really don't want a possible employer to go: "oh alright I'll check this other guy's page for more information on his project. Wow... that other guy is good let's hire him instead". It's a bit extreme but you know... Make your pages about you and what you can do essentially. I would detail this section with exactly what you did and a breakdown part. You can mention you worked with another guy that did the texturing, but ultimately if you label yourself as an environment artist you should do your own texturing (gives you credibility).


    Also your site labels you as an environment artist and when I check your about section you're a technical artist with a programming background ? Just make sure that every skill you list you can demonstrate. If you know about "scripting tools to allow other designers and artists to build worlds easier." you should show exactly what you've made and have a section in your portfolio where you talk about this.


    Hope that could help !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™