1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

[CS:GO] Shadows in Hammer

  • Nerve
  • November 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM
  • Nerve
    • November 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    • #1

    I've just been messing around with Hammer, and after compiling and running my map there seems to be (what looks like) a black shadow around two of the walls for no particular reason. It fades the further away you get, so I tweaked the render distance settings to see if that was causing it but no change.


    I checked to see if it was a leak but I don't have any errors when compiling, I'm most likely missing something completely obvious.


    Any help for a beginner?


    edit: Also tried different textures, no luck.

  • OrnateBaboon
    • November 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    • #2

    Do you have a light_env entity in the map? If so, have you turned it off in a vis group by mistake? Is this a full compile?

  • DrywallDreams
    • November 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    • #3

    If you compile with no lighting, this is what happens. Cascaded shadow mapping broke fullbright mode so now it shows shadows.

  • Nerve
    • November 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    • #4

    I've been following a few guides online and they haven't mentioned anything about lighting up to this point. Noob question: If it's lighting thats the problem, why do some of the textures inside the building show fine?


    Here's the video I'm following: http://youtu.be/9BxKIodPme0?t=5m12s


    So, to fix the problem I just need to add light entities?

  • OrnateBaboon
    • November 25, 2013 at 3:18 AM
    • #5

    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Light_environment

  • Nerve
    • November 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    • #6

    Thanks guys, got it working after adding a light_env, tweaking the skybox settings and adding temporary light entities to the rooms. I wish mat_fullbright 1 worked for quick testing, but oh well!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™