1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Creating landscape for UDK

  • syver
  • February 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM
  • syver
    • February 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    • #1

    I need to create a landscape for an environment (playable level) I'm making in UDK. I have used UDK for a good while now and have decent knowledge of its world building workings. Except... I have barely used the landscape editor. At least not at the scale/importance I'm going to need it now.

    My first impression is that creating a landscape from scratch just using the brushes etc. will be cumbersome and uneffective, at least in terms of creating satisfying realism. I'm guessing the optimal route is to use something like World Machine or Mudbox to create a heightmap and then adjust it from the landscape editor (?).

    So my question is; could you recommend a route of going about this? does it make little difference what I use to form the landscape pre-UDK? Should I go with World Machine? Advantages/Disadvantages?

    I have only basic knowledge with 3ds max and zbrush, but I'm not time-restricted in any way so I don't mind taking a while to learn. I'll tutorial/read my way through it once I have a plan. Still, being noob-friendly is always a plus

    In terms of topography I'm aiming for something like this;

    [Blocked Image: http://www.dylancolestudio.com/sketches/images/Dcole_Jungle.01.jpg]

    NB: the landscape is mostly for visual and thematic purposes. the actual playspace is fairly small.

  • Pampers
    • February 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    • #2

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™