1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Archived Forums
  4. Portfolios

Jonathan Sabella - Character Artist

  • JonSabella
  • September 14, 2009 at 3:57 AM
  • JonSabella
    • September 14, 2009 at 3:57 AM
    • #1

    Comments, Crits, Interested in Freelance and Full-Time Employment.

    Demo Reel: http://%7boption%7d

    Main Portfolio: http://%7boption%7d

    Personal Indie Game Project: http://%7boption%7d

    Thanks All,

    Jon

  • Bl1tz
    • September 14, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    • #2

    Right off the bat, I had problems accessing your stuff. I'm using the latest Firefox so it's not on my end. You should expose the links to the .mov files in case the person viewing the portfolio has embedding disabled. It wouldn't hurt to have some pictures of the models in addition to the movies for quicker digestion. Also, a lot of the links (like your blog) opened in a size-restricted window which is pretty annoying when providing a normal link would let someone open it in a new tab or a full screen window. Regardless of the quality of your work you should make your site more accessible.

  • JonSabella
    • September 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    • #3

    Thank you Bl1tz I wasn't aware of those issues and I will do my best to resolve them.

  • coulianos
    • September 15, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    • #4

    Other than what bl1tz said I have one remark.

    Why are the thumbnails of your work so small? You can barely see what they are. Its the images, your creations, that should take up most of the space in a portfolio! I think you should re-design your portfolio to put more focus on the content.

  • kleinluka
    • September 18, 2009 at 4:31 AM
    • #5

    This might sound harsh but I am just being honest and I think you can improve your site in many ways to make it more attractive for potential employers:

    1) First thing I noticed, the thumbnails are horrible and give no indication of what i am about to look at. Then when i click on a thumbnail it opens a tiny picture and a large portion of it is covered in a copyright notice... sorry but i think you should try to re-think your presentation.

    2) Right now 65% of the website is used up by the background image, leaving you with this tiny claustrophobic pile of thumbnails. Why not flip it? Make the background image smaller and use the space for actual usability and presenting your artwork properly?

    3) There are broken links on your page on some of the thumbnails and other thumbnails pop up a new window with some embedded video that I don't have the codec for. This is INSANELY frustrating and if I was working as a recruiter I would not even bother with it.

    At the moment you are making it really hard for somebody to get a good look at your skills because your work is hidden behind a badly designed website. I would re-work it from scratch if I were you. Granted, the art that I saw on your site is very nice. You just need to present it better and sell yourself as an artist. Don't make people work for it, put it right in their faces !

  • JonSabella
    • September 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    • #6

    Hey guys, I appreciate the input I am working on a redesign of the site taking into account your suggestions of larger thumbnails and problems with the pop-ups. I wasn't aware that people were having difficulty with video codecs as they are just quicktime files, but I will look into other options, since obviously you guys are. Thanks again.

    Still working on some kinks, and re-thinking how to display video files, but let me know what you guys think of the new layout.

    http://www.JonathanSabella.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™