1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Grim Fandango puzzle/design document released

  • Thrik
  • November 5, 2008 at 10:56 PM
  • Thrik
    • November 5, 2008 at 10:56 PM
    • #1

    Pretty awesome if you liked Grim Fandango and/or would appreciate a glimpse into a true classic's creative documentation. To quote myself:

    Quote

    Tim Schafer has just dropped a pretty awesome surprise on our laps to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Grim Fandango: the original Grim Fandango puzzle/design document.Written in 1996, this mostly-complete document details the cut-scenes and puzzles in the game. What makes this particularly fascinating is that it's packed with concept art and descriptions of scenes/puzzles that were cut from the game, giving us an insight into a slightly different Grim Fandango.

    http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfi ... asartsnews

    BTW if you want to be awesome and highly approved by Thrik, Digg this: http://digg.com/pc_games/Grim_Fandango_ ... t_released

  • Chunks
    • November 6, 2008 at 12:56 AM
    • #2

    Awesome.

    Somewhat related; there is a design doc of the napolean level from psychonauts in this book : http://www.amazon.com/Level-Design-Game ... 104&sr=8-1

    It is an interesting read, and luckily my favorite pyschonauts level.

  • Sa74n
    • November 6, 2008 at 1:15 AM
    • #3

    how fucking awesome is this?!

    THANKS!

  • Bic-B@ll
    • November 6, 2008 at 2:17 AM
    • #4

    dugg it. i never played the game, when i attempted to a few months ago it wouldnt run on my pc. awesome art in the document though and interesting to see, i love the very end "to protect this document please restrict your fallen tears of joy to this box -->"

  • JohnC
    • November 6, 2008 at 6:21 AM
    • #5

    Kustom Kulture in a video game? I'm stunned. Someday I'll play it.

  • Mazy
    • November 6, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    • #6

    Its brilliant! I'd love to see design docs from more of the old Lucasarts games~

  • Chunks
    • January 10, 2009 at 1:10 AM
    • #7

    Hey, does anyone still have this? Looks like it is no longer public. I upgraded to vista and apparently forgot to put it with all my other back-up stuff.

  • General Vivi
    • January 12, 2009 at 12:53 AM
    • #8

    yes indeed.... it looks like they took it down. Anyone have a copy dled? I would love to see it.

  • Furyo
    • January 12, 2009 at 1:02 AM
    • #9

    I do. Send me a PM with your email address if you want it.

  • skdr
    • January 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    • #10

    Send it to me, I can host it so you don't have to send multiple emails.

    arttum at gmail com

  • Meotwister
    • January 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    • #11

    Man I landed on the Doublefine website when reading up on this and I spent like 3 hours on it looking at random random things.

  • Furyo
    • January 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    • #12
    Quote from skdr

    Send it to me, I can host it so you don't have to send multiple emails.arttum at gmail com

    I could host it too, I just wanted to respect their own decision not to mass distribute it anymore

  • Sindwiller
    • January 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    • #13
    Quote from Furyo

    I could host it too, I just wanted to respect their own decision not to mass distribute it anymore

    That is lost knowledge That's like releasing one single print run of a book, which is a decision that must be respected, which however does not mean that you can't lend the book you've got of that exact print run to friends or something.

  • Taylor
    • January 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    • #14

    If you're inclined, you can find it just following the update link in the article...

  • ⌐■_■
    • January 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    • #15

    although that particular link is down, this one isnt:

    http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resource ... ll.pdf.zip

  • -HP-
    • January 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    • #16

    <3 KT! thanks man

  • Chunks
    • January 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM
    • #17

    I found this link as well incase the others go down: http://games.on.net/file/22091/Grim_Fan ... cument_PDF

  • Ginger Lord
    • January 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    • #18

    Vaguely related, I wondered why I saw a bunch of Grim Fandago copies in Game the other week, I thought I might pick it up, except they were charging £14.99 for it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™