will2k

A NEW HOPE: Will2k's Dying Light Single-player campaign [WIP]

2 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

Never played this game, so can't comment too much, but the screenshots look nice and seem to convey a nice open-ended adventure :D Promoted for others to see.

Thank you Shawn

You should totally play it; can't recommend the game enough :D It's a labor of love from the developers who are still actively supporting the game 3 years after its initial release

(fun fact: Dying Light was released exactly 3 years ago on January 26, 2015)

@will2k you should put up a video walkthrough for us plebs that haven't played or own the game. Btw, how did you find the entire experience of moving from source?

32 minutes ago, Radu said:

Btw, how did you find the entire experience of moving from source?

It's like ditching your 1970 model car and getting a 2018 model :lol:

I've been planning to move to UE4 or Unity 5 for the past 2 years but I needed an established game to make the move; then Dying Light came along with its Chrome Engine and I was hooked.

Source is simple and easy to use but outdated, archaic, and very limiting; I've been saying this for quite some time now :)

Dying Light Developer Tools take a bit of time to get into but once you're familiar with them, you can unleash your creativity without worrying about technology limiting you.

As I said in the previous post, the toughest part was scripting and quest creation but once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are endless and you become like a kid in a candy store.

As an example of the power of scripting in Dying Light, I will use the 3rd screenshot where the objective I set is to restore power to the warehouse so you can access it and check for survivors.

This is the script I wrote specific for this part of the quest.

,BLOCK _ -obj=&ANewHopePart2b_Restore&
            ,AND _
                path
                    ,enable <<Enable the electrical switch box>> PhysicalSwitchDI hangar_electricswitch enabled
                    ,use << Use the switch to restore power>> PhysicalSwitchDI hangar_electricswitch on
                    ,wait << wait 3 seconds>> 3
                    ,enable << enable guardian goon >> AISpawnBoxNumber mygoon -state=enabled   
                    ,enable-multi <<enable goon possey and electricity damage>>
                        ,o AISpawnBoxNumber hangar_viral1
                        ,o AISpawnBoxNumber hangar_viral2
                        ,o AISpawnBoxNumber hangar_viral3
                        ,o AISpawnBoxNumber hangar_biter1
                        ,o AISpawnBoxNumber hangar_biter2
                        ,o AISpawnBoxNumber hangar_biter3
                        ,o ElectricityEmitterDI hangar_electricaldamage
                        ,o FXEmitter hangar_electricemitter

You can basically do whatever you wish with the scripting; your creativity is the limit.

The tools are also real time and you are basically in-engine (if you worked with Crysis Dev Tools, this is basically the same). The editor is dynamic and real-time and everything you do gets updated on the spot.

I might write an article on this experience when everything is done and the campaign is released.

7 hours ago, FrieChamp said:

That's awesome! I didnt know you could map for Dying Light. :)

Thanks FrieChamp :)

If you have the game on steam, then the dev tools are in your steam library-->tools; you just install them and you're set.

Awesome, think I had seen something about tools but didn’t think anybody was doing it.

ill spread the word with friends I know we’re liking the game! (I was interested but never bought it yet)

Edited by blackdog

14 hours ago, blackdog said:

Awesome, think I had seen something about tools but didn’t think anybody was doing it.

ill spread the word with friends I know we’re liking the game! (I was interested but never bought it yet)

Thank you Blackdog :)

You feeling done with Source stuff (until Source 2)? :B

I have played a few afternoons around with Far Cry 3 editor back a few years back (on the xbox! Didn't have a PC at the time) and since recently I played to finish FC4 was thinking if to jump in that editor and try something new...

Edited by blackdog

21 hours ago, blackdog said:

You feeling done with Source stuff (until Source 2)? :B

I wouldn't hold my breath for Source 2 that much; unless it comes out with a solid game on release, I don't see it getting high adoption rate against already established, and easy-to-use next gen engines.

If it gets released alongside, say L4D3, or a new IP or God forbid, HL3, then I can see people switching to Source 2 (or if it has a brand new feature that's not existing in other engine); otherwise, it will be just another engine trying to compete for market share, albeit a tad late to the party.

Yeah I’m with you on the Source 2 @will2k, who knows when it and if will come out at all – knowing Valve they could very well change mind. But if it comes out even with no direct modding support, there’s to wonder if they would streamine/make it easier (for adopters) to publish on Steam, that would be an incentive.

Was more wondering if you had enough with current version or still gonna make maps ;)

4 hours ago, blackdog said:

Yeah I’m with you on the Source 2 @will2k, who knows when it and if will come out at all – knowing Valve they could very well change mind. But if it comes out even with no direct modding support, there’s to wonder if they would streamine/make it easier (for adopters) to publish on Steam, that would be an incentive.

Was more wondering if you had enough with current version or still gonna make maps ;)

Well, as I said in my original post above, Source is slowly becoming a distant memory.

I have 2 CSGO WIPs that I haven't worked on for almost 9 months now; they'll continue to be on the back-burner in the foreseeable future as my focus is on Dying Light right now. I also had plans for a 2nd map for PVKII, but that also goes to the backseat now.

I'll probably go back to these projects somewhere in the future although nothing is certain :)