Battlefield Hardline

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/28/battlefield-hardline/

Whuuuuuut!

I'm hoping for a more dynamic Counter-Strike, where criminals can take hostages from an AI controlled civilian population and hole up anywhere they like, or sit in a smoky cellar planning their last big heist. Give me car chases and sieges. Let me chuck my balaclava in the bin so that I can blend in with the civilians.

I just have trouble believing they can make the cops as fun to play without nerfing the robbers.

No battlefield game in the past has ever managed to hold my interest for longer than a couple of weeks -- maybe this will be the first!

Must...resist....abusing....moderation powers.....to change....the title....to.....Battlefield: PAYDAY

I can already picture how this went down:

"Hey, let's grab something that's successful, copy it and slap a franchise name on it from something we have that's already successful."

"Payday is doing great, let's use that."

"People are still upset about Battlefield 4. Let's slap the Battlefield name on it. It will appear like we are doing something different and it gives our consumers a breather before announcing Battlefield 5."

"Yeah, that's great but we can't wait too long. Payday is hot now."

"No problem, we'll make it small, sell premium from the start and expand it with DLC. It will be Origin only and we ship it to all possible platforms and patch it later."

"Everybody clapping"

Also, if I were to rob a store it would be like this:

4E5PdZ5.gif

Will probably be taken down any minute now

Looks like an internal pitch. At first I also thought Payday but this is starting to remind me even more of my buddy's project that unfortunately didn't get funded. Maybe they should've pitched it to EA instead of Activision...Then again, the outcome would've probably been the same.

Sucks that shit gets leaked all the time, blows for developers :( As a dev I really enjoy waiting in anticipation in front of a big TV screen with all your coworkers, seeing the reveal live and all of the audiences reactions is magic... Don't ruin this moment.

Ruining the surprise is one thing, leaking out of date shit is even worse.

Stahp :( Selfish a-holes :(

(Didn't work on this but this surely ruined a lot of "Christmas Morning" feels for a lot of people I'm sure)

Edited by Chimeray

Was thinking the same thing, how can anyone who has even an ounce of pride in what they are working on want to leak it so people can see it in that state? Must have come from someone not actively involved in the project development

Honestly that trailer is, for me, a mixture of impressive, intimidating, and a bit boring. It's like one million action montages glued together in high-tech glory and seemingly mindless particle effects. I'm kind of intrigued. Gotta say one thing, that's high tech stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't played a BF game since bf3, my god this is shit. How is this even a thing, it is literally a reskin of BF3 but with really shit performance. Genuinely terrible performance, it looks the same as bf3 which I used to run on ultra at 120fps now im barely getting 5 fps on ultra and when on low it magically switched between 120fps to 30 constantly. If your engine can drop from 120 to 30 fps in a frame, there is something wrong with it.

Edited by Vilham

Who's in the beta? I hate to be a negative nancy but in my book this is simply not shaping up to be a good game. I have tried it for maybe 2 hours and I think that if the Battlefield franchise hasn't fallen from grace already with BF4, it will with this game. Sorry to say, because I love Battlefield. :(

I'm only going to try this, after it's releases and I haven't seen a single complaint about it's performance. But who am I kidding? I already sold 2 Origin accounts. It's just not gonna click between Origin and me.

Who's in the beta? I hate to be a negative nancy but in my book this is simply not shaping up to be a good game. I have tried it for maybe 2 hours and I think that if the Battlefield franchise hasn't fallen from grace already with BF4, it will with this game. Sorry to say, because I love Battlefield. :(

played it on ps4 for all of 10 minutes.  It's a modern Battlefield game, and not a good one.  I thought about giving it another try on PC, then saw that it was trying to make me also install punkbuster and didn't bother.

I was very surprised to see in the preorder thing this was a $60 game. Battlefield 4 just came out and is still deep in the thickets, customer satisfaction-wise. 

I played a half dozen rounds last night. It was actually pretty ok. BF4's performance varied a lot based on the map for me, with the urban maps playing way worse. Hardline's downtown LA ran like a rural map from BF4 for me, which was an improvement. It was nearly identical in many ways to BF4, though. Same engine, same graphical options and quality by the looks of it. Similar teams, guns, equipment, gameplay, etc. There's a zip line and a grappling hook now, but I didn't get to use them yet. Only significant difference I saw is that some stuff is gated by earning money and buying it, instead of leveling up.

This doesn't really seem to be enough to make an impression on the general gamer population of "This is a totally new game worth $60!", especially since the BF4 saga's still ongoing. Seems like a PR nightmare.

I was very surprised to see in the preorder thing this was a $60 game. Battlefield 4 just came out and is still deep in the thickets, customer satisfaction-wise. 

I played a half dozen rounds last night. It was actually pretty ok. BF4's performance varied a lot based on the map for me, with the urban maps playing way worse. Hardline's downtown LA ran like a rural map from BF4 for me, which was an improvement. It was nearly identical in many ways to BF4, though. Same engine, same graphical options and quality by the looks of it. Similar teams, guns, equipment, gameplay, etc. There's a zip line and a grappling hook now, but I didn't get to use them yet. Only significant difference I saw is that some stuff is gated by earning money and buying it, instead of leveling up.

This doesn't really seem to be enough to make an impression on the general gamer population of "This is a totally new game worth $60!", especially since the BF4 saga's still ongoing. Seems like a PR nightmare.

The zipline is pretty cool actually, I wish they simply incorporated it into regular BF titles. The grappling hook, however, is a bit disappointing as it can only attach to pre-defined surfaces and cannot be used freely (which gives it very limited utility).