1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Edude

Posts by Edude

  • Day of Infamy Mapping Contest Discussion

    • Edude
    • October 7, 2016 at 7:17 AM

    Hello everyone!

    While doing my map for the contest, I realized that the basic character model in DOI has 80 units high. In most Valve games, characters has 72 units height, and many of us use those heights for buildings and gameplay elements. Does anyone know DOI's character dimensions, for example: crouch height, normal jump height, jump + crouch height, prone height, player's vision height?

  • Normandy - Liberation (MoHAA TheHunt Inspired)

    • Edude
    • October 1, 2016 at 8:12 AM

    Man, I don't think you will get enough time to make another map to the contest... In my opinion you should save the map in the current state to think about it later as a MOHAA remake, but then continue from where you stop with another layout and ideas. The map at it state looks promising, so you should change the idea from now on, and when the contest ends you comeback to the old save and finish the remake, I would love to play both of them.

  • Texture Resolution Questions

    • Edude
    • September 20, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    Quote from Steppenwolf

    20 minutes ago, Steppenwolf said: 2k textures is totally fine nowadays. For Insurgency as far as i remember we stuck with specs from Valve games so people can play it on same hardware and setting they are used to from other source games. That's perhaps the one thing you should consider if you're ok with people on old hardware having to adjust their texture settings only for your map. But if it's just for beauty and portfolio then go with it.

    Um, you're right. But now came another doubt. If someone lower the quality of the textures, what changes? The game starts using a less detailed mipmap as the default texture?

  • Texture Resolution Questions

    • Edude
    • September 20, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    Quote from grapen

    5 minutes ago, grapen said: Valve uses 2048 textures with a texture scale of 0.125 in hammer in the remake of nuke. The regular texture scale of 0.25 means 4 pixels of texture per hammer unit, while 0.125 doubles that. Unlike goldsrc there's hardly any performance impact in doing this. 2048 textures obviously weigh a lot more so there's that, but downscaling looks a lot better. I would go ahead and make 2048 textures, that's what I'm doing for large surfaces.

    Wow thank you so much friend. I didn't know that the new nuke was using 2048x2048 textures. And coincidentally I was thinking of using these textures on large surfaces only, liked the suggestion.

  • Texture Resolution Questions

    • Edude
    • September 20, 2016 at 5:27 PM

    Hello everybody!

    Recently I create some textures for an old map, it was the first time I had contact with creating and editing textures. They were snow textures that blended with csgo textures, so I did them with 1024x1024 resolution, like most of the textures present in CSGO.

    Lately I've been working on a new project and decided to make some new textures to it, but a friend suggested me something that for some reason I never asked myself before. He suggested that I should edit an 4k texture and scale it down to 2k (2048x2048), and use only 2048x2048 textures on the map. I liked the idea, but then came the doubts: if this is even good, why other Source games do not do the same? I can understand csgo don't have textures with more than 1024x1024 because it is a 2012 game, but even the mods don't pass that line, and Insurgency that is a game who brings beautiful graphs for Source Engine, also uses no more than 1024x1024. This is very strange, since Source Engine supports textures in 4k. Are there any kind of limitations or problems using above 1024x1024 textures? Put enough 2k textures on a map can make it more beautiful? Textures in 2k weigh so much?


    Thank you very much in advance

    Sorry for my bad english.

  • VMT Editor - fast and simple editor for vmt files

    • Edude
    • September 20, 2016 at 4:54 PM

    Just what we need! hahaha thank you so much Yanzl

  • My new Website (2d-chris.net)

    • Edude
    • September 20, 2016 at 4:53 PM

    Wow! Very inspiring! I'm going to check it more often when you finish the tutorials. Nice work!

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™