Any one up for some season over the weekend by the way? My normal lobby 'don't want to play it because they don't know it well enough'
Posts by Vaya
-
-
-
Legend of Zelda OOT on the 3DS
Driving my girlfriend insane when doing this bit:
External Content www.youtube.comContent embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy. -
Looks to be improved. Get a playtest booked

-
meh it's rare that I get an unfair game. People spend too long looking at peoples hours etc to justify dying on MM.
'it's not my fault we died, they have a player on 54 hours!'
Someone started doing that whole spiel on my team last night after 3 of them pushed through smoke on a inferno B rush and instantly died. Maybe don't push through smoke after making it clear to the enemy you're there? Just a thought.
-
Quote from Puddy
Thanks for the first Mapcore playtest of De_agency!
GGI think you should the A area more interesting. How about changing the CEO's office into a big boardroom with a view like this:
I think you're missing a trick having the bombsite enclosed in those blind textures with that amazing skybox so close.
-
[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/5Xgerfy.png]
My suggestion:
- Move that A door. It was a nice experiment but it just doesn't work. Move out of Tspawn and get instantly knocked down to 40hp.
- Simplify a little.you have lots of open space and deep corners that making clearing areas a chore.
- The top of the map is way too angled. Farms are not built on grids; I think you need to lose some of the 90 degree corners (I've highlighted 2 as an example- this area is a bit too tight - but it really depends on how you want your map to flow)
Thanks for the playtest!
-
Quote from cashed
I really like Halos king of the hill where it rotates around the level and makes use of near all of the map.
This would be cool because you could apply to existing maps too.
Dust2:
tunnels
B site
CT spawn
A site
double doors
pit
Inferno:
T spawn
A/B
etc would all make good capture points. Would make the gameplay more dynamic than 1 point to hold on a symmetrical map too.
-
have you tried with 1 spawn point per side?
-
I'm up for it (again). I have a teamspeak server and barely adequate aim

-
okay leplubodeslapin looked at the map last night and found massive inherent flaws with how the map was build:
- overlapping brushes
- misaligned brushes
- brushes mainly built on a grid of 1
- lots of offgrid work.
I've decided to leave this one here and go to a simple AIM map and then come back to this .vmf. See if it's fixable, if not I'll start again at greybox and do it right.
Edit- Thanks again to leplubodeslapin

-
-
-
sure, I'll send later when I'm home

-
[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/K5rhkbF.png]
These two brushes weren't func_detailed at the time of the screenshot. that's sorted now.
Can I try to fix the issues myself before posting a vmf if I hit any brick walls? I like being as self-sufficient as possible...
-
Yeah I'm going to use that in conjunction with visgroups once the skybox is finished.
I'm learning a lot, that's the main thing!
-
Yeah I've watched that one a couple times. everything in it makes sense but it gets a little more complicated when you're trying to apply it to a fully (or close to fully) brushed level.
Interlopers has answered a lot of my questions so that's good. LOTS of work for me with little visual improvement though.
Lessons learnt:
- A boxed-out skybox is amazing at hiding bad brushwork
- probably start optimising at greybox. at least get the skybox wrapped around the brushes as this is a pain when your map is further down the line
- full compile every couple of iterations
- build using nodraw and then add textures to the visible faces, not the other way round
- Visgroups are lifesavers
Most of you are probably going 'duh' at this but hey, you only need to make a mistake like this once, right?
-
is that sky custom? it's damn nice
-
ok

at least that's an achievable goal just now. tedious, but achievable.
-
Currently trying to optimise my map so I can do a full compile in under a week (1000 numportals down, 10,000 to go) Opposite of map-porn: http://i.imgur.com/94JtJGx.jpg Focusing on realigning the skybox currently so its shrank to the existing brushwork rather than a 'big box' that contains the whole map- I believe this is the biggest issue with the map at present. Further questions though that might help me:
- How important is the 'power of 2' methodology for brushwork? If so is this just thickness or all dimensions?
- Do hint brushes need to fully seal an area for them to be effective? Does it need to be a single hint brush per side if so, or do you 'fill in the gaps' between the brush and the skybox?
- Area portals VS hint brushes. Any issues created with me just using hints for now?
- Any way to 'join' numportals? I've noticed it creates a new one per ground brush.