1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. kinggambit

Posts by kinggambit

  • [CS:GO]de_zoo

    • kinggambit
    • March 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM

    It looks pretty polished now from when we testplayed it.


    Did you fix the weird water texture bug? (I think we were mentioning that you shouldn't apply water texture to the sides of the brushes) I think that was the only real problem I saw.


    Extra credit if you replaced chickens with turtles!

  • Level Design Help Files

    • kinggambit
    • March 18, 2014 at 5:47 PM

    EDIT: Welp I forgot to convert to func_areaportal...

  • Displacement vs Prop? (mountain side setting)

    • kinggambit
    • March 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM

    PogoP For de_cbble, I meant the outside staircases (sorry I don't have screen cap, using laptop right now) but all the steps were just displacements sewn together (quite impressively).


    Warby Yup. I'm guessing props might not light that well?


    Ehhh, I'll try a rough displacement map first. My experience with displacements is pretty basic (I want the level of detail like this map: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=208579464 but I've seen the amount of displacements and the amount of sewn brushes is ridiculous!)


    I think I'll still model out the mountains as props. Hopefully, there won't be weird visleaf issues. Need the practice anyway.


    I'll post results when I can.

  • Displacement vs Prop? (mountain side setting)

    • kinggambit
    • March 4, 2014 at 3:58 AM

    Does anyone know when to use displacements versus prop models if you're making things like mountains? (assuming they have roughly the same level of detail)


    I'm watching a nice tutorial on how to model a mountainside but most of the maps I've decompiled use displacements i.e. De_cobble's staircases outside are all displacements.

  • Bump/Normal/etc. maps vs performance on source engine (CSGO)

    • kinggambit
    • January 30, 2014 at 4:59 AM

    I'm trying to create most of my assets and textures on my own for a CSGO map (with high fidelity). Is it a matter of trial and error to balance graphical fidelity with performance? I can't recall any CSGO maps in which I saw any bump/normal maps (though I play on lowest video settings).


    Reading through VDC right now and I can't seem to read anything on average graphics specs or anything.

  • MapCore CS:GO Playtesting 3.0

    • kinggambit
    • January 10, 2014 at 8:30 AM

    thanks to everyone for playtesting my map and giving feedback! Gonna clean up the areas and make ct-side of mid simpler. Didn't seem as T-sided as I had thought!


    I try to make it for next session. Was fun!


    EDIT: for retrofit, made a quick summary of some of the issues i saw:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/gj07Pr9.jpg]

    If one team controls the other's spawn, they have really strong positions (high ground, lots of cover and areas to hide in). Factor in the long distance to get out of of spawn (which nullifies the few seconds of invulnerability which usually wards off spawn campers) and it's tough to get out of spawn.


    As for the second note in the image, I think the map's fine for now. I think I'm just accustomed to the faster paced style of the stock ar maps.


    Also, the upper ladder area is pretty easy to control; you have a really strong position of guarding the opponents' middle route and can prevent them from going up.

  • MapCore CS:GO Playtesting 3.0

    • kinggambit
    • January 6, 2014 at 2:42 AM

    Eh sorry, is it possible to change my schedule to earlier slot (preferably 7/1/2014 with Radu)? I will most likely be busy in the middle of January and don't want to risk missing the test session.


    EDIT: 9/1/2014 will be fine. Thanks again!

  • Maya-Source (workflow issues)

    • kinggambit
    • January 6, 2014 at 2:36 AM

    Thanks!


    I've tried the "export from hammer as dxf" method by Hessi, but like others online, I got errors in maya about translating the file (supposedly, Maya is notorious for its issues with dxf/dwg files).


    Thankfully, I found out about Nem's Crafty's Object Viewer program which will export vmf's as obj's (which was successful import into maya!) For any other fellow Maya users, you probably want to filter out anything but world geometry and copy-paste it all into a new vmf before converting it to obj; still managed to get a few issues due to tool brushes and whatnot.

  • Maya-Source (workflow issues)

    • kinggambit
    • January 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM

    I only have one question in particular, so maybe this thread can be dedicated to any Maya-Source related discussion.


    So. My current project is already all blocked out (orange brush = func_detail or placeholder for prop), shown below.[Blocked Image: http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/505826535033445848/753C4278FA8A24BB5A186E4637C55937603A5C53/]


    This is my first time incorporating props-- but I'm not quite sure on the workflow between Maya and Source.


    My ideal plan was:

    1) convert all the brushes into an .obj so I could import the brushes into Maya; from there, I'd

    2) model the various props, using the brushes as a bearing for scale and placement. Lastly,

    3) I'd export those props with their respective textures to be packed into the .bsp file.


    However, all the resources online were only about "Maya to Source", not mentioning things like scale relative to the map.


    If someone is experienced, could you give some advice on how to set up workflow? I'm a complete noob at this.

  • MapCore CS:GO Playtesting 3.0

    • kinggambit
    • January 3, 2014 at 2:24 AM

    Hi can I make an appointment for my map de_fracture at 12.1.14? (Will have preliminary radar ready soon)


    De_fracture_b:

    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=208874864


    Thanks to RZL and the mapcore staff!


    *EDIT* sorry, I'm new here. How do I upload media content for this site? I'm trying to send RZL the files and too noob.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™