Quote from blackdog8 hours ago, blackdog said: I’m very fascinated/interested in this aspect of game development, as I see it the most important conjunction of game and UI design.
It’s must be incredibly tricky to strike balance, considering every player is different. I am for example one that -I believe- is very resilient to frustration, I actually make games frustrating for myself (like I spent at least 8hrs on the shipwreck encounter alone in Uncharted 4 because I was convinced I could resolve it the way I wanted, but needed to be perfect at aiming and timing).
In regard of information overload I’ve felt like this recently when I started playing God of War, when you upgrade a weapon there’s so much information… and god help you when you get to the merchant is a non-stop barrage of pop ups!
I wonder what type of R&D there is for a dynamic system (self or user adjusted) dedicated to this aspect; but I can imagine the realities of business and budgets… and how ad-hoc game solutions are. I can only think the pitch for this is that once you get a system like that up and running, you can keep reusing it, so it would be a bit like upgrading your game engine, if you can come up with a generic solution.
It is indeed very tricky to find the right balance and pace, there is soooo much stuff the player has to learn, such as :
- Who are you, what is your purpose here, who is Colt ?
- Who is Julianna, why is she doing this, wtf is going on ?
- Oh shit, it's a time loop thing, how does it work ? How can it be an issue to me ? How can it be an asset ?
- What are my tools, what are my weapons, what are the slabs, what are trinkets, what are my player mobility options ... ?
- Who are those targets I need to eliminate, to what purpose ?
- How do you convey to the player that they can play however they want, they don't have to fit 1 play style, and they can benefit from the timeloop to experiment things ?
- How can the player progress through space and time within the timeloop ?
- ...
I wasn't actually part of the tutorialization work, but it's quite hard to make it all fit.
Time constraints are what they are, and even if popups are not the most appreciated tools they can be efficient. And at least, if a player skips them because it's getting boring, he can find everything back in the menu, or experience by himself.
I feel you with your experience with Uncharted 4, it is actually a very big deal with TLOU2 too. There's always a part where you can only expect the players to follow the story and go on with it.