1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. leplubodeslapin

Posts by leplubodeslapin

  • ITT: Post maps/scenes that never saw the light of the day.

    • leplubodeslapin
    • August 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM

    I found a concept i've made for my map fy_pool_day back in 2012 in which you were able to switch at any time from the version i made (with "csgo graphics") to the original version of the map (made by Squall on CS 1.6) by just switching a lever.

    Here on this test version, there was no button/lever, you had to shoot at a box in the middle of the map :

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-njp5ekq3Q


    Try to guess how i did it :)

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • leplubodeslapin
    • August 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://cdn.chud.com/e/e9/500x1000px-LL-e9eca7a1_shame.gif]

  • Windows 10 upgrade

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 31, 2015 at 8:38 PM
    Quote from Symix

    I still have the old photo viewer, might be a remnant from the win 7 upgrade?

    Yes probably. I did a complete instal of windows 10 (with a USB key and formatting my SSD), it deleted everything related to windows 7.

    At first I installed with the upgrade options, saying him to keep NOTHING, and at the end it kept lots of things and half of my SSD was already full of useless data xD

  • Windows 10 upgrade

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 31, 2015 at 7:29 PM

    I did the upgrade yesterday, from Windows 7 to Windows 10. As I expected, it was painful simply because i've been used to the same OS for 6-7 years.

    Now, it works fine and I'm not lost, "i'm settled". I don't really feel any performance improvments yet, but when you have a great computer already with SSD, there was already nothing wrong or laggy with windows 7. Maybe it's less expensive and can deal better with critical situations, I don't know yet but it feels stable (no crash or big bug or whatever).

    I had big troubles yesterday with my video driver, because the OS itself was trying to instal it in the same time, causing systematic meaningless error messages (Nvidia drivers stupidity) but it was not able to install it apprently. I just had to forcequit the installer from my task manager and instal my own driver manually. So, everything's alright now.

    I haven't seen any Metro crap or anything, the Start menu is full of crap so the first thing you do is delete everything and put your own softwares and shortcuts. Also be very careful not to agree to all the things allowing microsoft to spy on you and shit, it's a bit scary to see these options on Yes by default, but you can disable them (but you know that most people won't even look at them :x ).

    The animations are fine, it's very smooth and it stays discreet (from my opinion). I don't really like the simple-design trends and they are everywhere on Windows 10 but therefore it stays simple and easy to read.


    Don't forget not to connect with your windows live account, it's a trap ! They got me :( Fortunately i found a way to disable the password being asked every time i come back to my computer.

    Just, does anyone here have an alternative for the default windows image viewer ? (something fast and simple, like on windows 7)
    Because on Windows 10, the thing called "Photos" is not really what i want. It's slow (due to collection and albums i guess, things i don't care about), you can't even zoom with the mouse wheel and the very useful button that fit to a pixel ratio of 1:1 (with the monitor) isn't present anymore.

  • Mafia 3

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 29, 2015 at 12:37 PM

    Ok to be honest I haven't played the first one because i was only 10 years old when it released, i didn't have a computer at that time and i wasn't even into videogames that much except with the playstation 1 we had. I'm going to play it asap, since you say it was a great game.

    But really, i'm extremely surprised that you didn't like the 2nd Mafia. As I told you I haven't played the first one and I didn't follow what the media said about it so I played it without preconceptions. And the things that impressed me a lot is the universe in which you're set, I loved it so much. It was clear that the game wasn't made by a team as experienced as Rockstar Games in Open Worlds, there were some problems and there wasn't much to do but ... damn it was so credible and immersive ! Even today, since it was a very good looking game, i'm 100% sure you can easily appreciate it (even after having played GTA 5). And the story was maybe a bit predictable but I don't see much games in which i care that much about the characters, I was really into it.

    From what i read you haven't really tried that much the game, and for me it's really a game you have to take the time to profit. Even just to visit the city it's so enjoyable ... Ok i have to admit it, I love the 50s :)

    But really please go do the second one, it's really a great game, forget about what people said and Mafia 1. I'm not easily impressed by games in general, so i'm very surprised that a title i loved so much isn't appreciated by others

  • Mafia 3

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 29, 2015 at 2:00 AM
    Quote from (HP)

    Only played a couple hours of Mafia 2, but it didn't really grabbed me. I don't know, will be keeping an eye on tho.

    Oh dare you ?!!! This game is a fucking masterpiece, go do it NOW

    I'm glad Mafia 3 is announced, I hope they will keep doing things the way they do, I loved Mafia 2 so much !

  • cs_shichang

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 28, 2015 at 12:46 AM

    Easy win, easy csgo operation :)

    Good job man, you're doing great

  • The Half-Life 3 thread of closure and memorium AKA what Tyler McVicker just said on YouTube

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 26, 2015 at 2:22 AM

    I don't really like that idea of "if Half-life 3 isn't perfect, then it will be a failure". I believe that it's still a good time to release a Valve game : even if it uses the same mechanics as the old ones, without being an open-world with a day/night cycle and everything... It can still be a great game.

    I do believe that if you have fun and can immerse yourself in the story -> it's a success. The best example i have for that is my brother that i asked to play the Half-Life 2 games recently and he simply loved them. Of course it's old and valve should do better work on a HL3, but I really don't think everybody will hate them if Half-Life 3 isn't an incredibly amazing and innovative game (people might be disapointed but that can be it).

    What bothers me is that we don't have any news from them and it's been 4 years since (the very good) Portal 2, HL3 or not they should release one game. And i don't see 2D/3D artists, level designers and writers suddenly working on VR and Steam marketing, it's simply not their job so they must work on some kind of game. And we know that they hired some people recently (Robert Briscoe for example).


    And keep in mind that in that video, the "10 people working on HL3" is just a rumor and that's all there is, the rest is speculations.

  • [WIP] De_Dynasty

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 23, 2015 at 5:07 PM

    @kinggambit Thanks for the 2 screenshots with grey textures. I think it's quite obvious, and i'm pretty sure that everyone would prefer the look and readability of your map with grey textures, it looks much better.
    So the problem is basically about your textures, you must standardize them. Keep in mind that when you do your textures, it's how you're supposed to see them with a bright white lighting, and your textures are probably too dark therefore the lighting can't affect them at all since it's already almost black. It's not just about increasing the brightness of your materials, you really must standardize them and if you really have to use a dark material somewhere, don't use it on big plane areas, add some contrast.

    And maybe you can increase the brightness of your lights, even with grey textures it's true that it's still quite dark.

    I hope that when you visited your map with the mat_dragray command, you realised the potential your map has and that you're lighting appears to be much better.

  • [WIP] De_Dynasty

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 21, 2015 at 4:13 PM

    @jackophant It's just a method to work on your lighting. I don't know if it's the thing used for the radar overlay, they are just made using image editing softwares i think.
    As you said it changes all the textures to the same medium grey color (well that's the theory, in facts it's not exactly the same grey everywhere but it can still help), the good thing is that this command keeps the specular and normalmaps i think, and transparency on textures.

    And if you use very simple colors like that, it's always easier to understand the lighting and fix it, to see which area should be brighter or darker, to place your light entities where they are needed only. Theorically, you should almost be able to do your whole lighting without any texture on your map.

  • [WIP] De_Dynasty

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM

    Can you get one or two screenshots with mat_drawgray 1 activated instead please ? It's hard to help with all these textures :D

  • What's going on with your life?

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 18, 2015 at 12:31 AM

    It's never finished, you'll have to deal with it for your whole life now, you must carry this burden !

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/3xeO2GK.gif]

  • The random model thread!

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 17, 2015 at 7:39 PM

    Another prop i made recently

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/H9Kwlec.png][Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/IVOwyTl.png]

    Low poly (with 478 tris)

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/uQDWW4x.png]

    And at the end you get :

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/UJKXEWE.jpg]

    I still need to work on the texture though (which is only a 512² btw, diffuse + spec, no normalmap)

  • [WIP] De_Opera

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 16, 2015 at 11:47 AM

    @Shima33 Thank you for understanding my post, i know i'm demanding quite a lot (changing the name is never easy). I haven't uploaded the map on the workshop yet, i will at the end, that's why you haven't found it. I like the idea of name austinweiss found "de_theatre", I mean it still fits to your map and sounds clearly different than "Opéra".

    As Austin said, most of the models are made by me and some others by a friend of mine. I don't really want to share them until the release of the map, I'm sorry :/


    I understand that it's more of a sketch of what your map will be, it may explain why the texturing is weird ^^
    When i said "Clip your brushed", i meant cut them with the clipping tool and apply textures differently to the faces. Nihil made some pretty good video tutorials recently, the first one could help you with your texturing :


    There's also the last TopHattWaffle's video and the last Fmpone's stream record that might help you.

    Good luck with your map!

  • [WIP] De_Opera

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 16, 2015 at 2:16 AM

    Hello,

    I really am sorry but, can you change the name of your map ? I'm already working on a map named cs_opera (it will just be "Opera" on workshop), and i really care about the name

    https://migrationtest.mapcore.org/topic/18520-csgowip-cs_opera/

    Good luck for your map, you shouldn't use FIT that much on your textures and clip your brushes in order to apply more various textures. And some crates are really huge and weird, maybe more crates instead of 1 big will make more sense.

  • Puddy's Gun Review (of Freedom)

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 14, 2015 at 10:20 AM

    Ahahaahahaha xD

    Man this is crazy but i love it, so cool!

    I tried a glock with a friend by firing blanks (i don't know the exact translation but you know the sort of bullet without projectile) and i was surprised to see that the weight of the gun helped to remain steady, it was quite easy to aim i thought (but much harder than a riffle i believe). And it was blank bullets so probably not the same thing, lower force.

    I'd love to try this like you did, can't wait for the second part!

  • Looking for people that are aspiring to work in the game industry

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 13, 2015 at 11:52 AM

    If i decide one day to change my field of work -> Level Designer/Environment Artist

  • What I'm Working On

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 12, 2015 at 3:46 PM

    yes of course. I decompiled de_cache to take this screenshot to show you (sry shawn)

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/PJFTAXV.png]

    This is the light_environment from cache. It's clearly orange and blue, that's what makes the sunlight orange and shadows blue. Try to find your own values, that fit the most to your needs.

  • What I'm Working On

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 12, 2015 at 2:12 PM
    Quote from NihiL

    - When it comes to your color theory and your examples, it seems that we were exclusively talking about texturing as opposed to lighting, right? I mean, on Season or Cache, the colors seemed to come more from the diffuse textures than from colored light sources? Is that correct? What about light color then? Do you keep them white? White-ish? Or do they reflect your ~3 color palette for texture colors as well somehow?

    It was both about texturing and lighting. The spice color in this case is more in the textures but it can also be in the lighting with small but noticable lights.

    And the 2 primary colors are mostly due to lighting, the "blorange" thing is about mixing these 2 colors in your general environment lighting. For example using a blue color for your ambient (which defines light in shadows, kind of) and orange for your brightness (which defines the color of light coming from the sun). It's a classic, because the contrast between these 2 colors is nice and immediately creates something good looking. And you could find other examples of course.

    Cache is a great example :

    [Blocked Image: http://up.vakarm.net/plubo/news_interview_cache/2.jpg]

    You see, the shadows create a blue theme and sun lighting is more orange. And the contrast looks great immediately. Red and yellow are the 2 spice colors here i guess.

  • [CSGO] Is it fine to make a map based on real place?

    • leplubodeslapin
    • July 9, 2015 at 4:00 PM

    I remember once a guy who created a bomb map set in a Montreal's metro station. The city ordered him to stop his project or at least to delete the metro station part of his map.
    Another example i have is a guy who created a mall from my city (Rennes in France), named "colombia"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BgU-XZHN-4
    I think they asked him to stop it but i'm not sure (he never finished it)

    Sometimes it can be problematic, I wouldn't copy/paste an irl place if i were you, i would make it a "strong inspiration" but that's all.
    Don't know about valve's opinion for csgo operation.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™