1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. ZZZ

Posts by ZZZ

  • What are you playing now?

    • ZZZ
    • July 22, 2022 at 12:23 AM

    Rage isn't a bad game, but it's not exceptional either. Right before the journey to the other wasteland, where the sky is dark, I dropped it. The env art in this game is really excellent. I saw how much effort they put in to make a believable wasteland. The thing is, megatexture made it all static. There is nothing to interact with. All you do in this game is to accept a quest, go to a place, then comes a door and a loading screen. Once in you kill everyone there, do your job, return to the outdoor wasteland, drive back to the city and go to the next mission. There is no plot to explain the lives of each character, each place you visit. It comes down to "bandits are trying to explode the blablabla, go there and stop them". It's not like bioshock where the whole world has a background story from its creation to the current time where the game takes place. It's doesn't offer much beyond killing enemies. I don't know if the hardware at the time imposed serious bottlenecks or if the script writers didn't develop the world any further than just give an excuse to explain that the world was destroyed by an asteroid. Take out the enemies from each level and there is nothing left to populate it. It has good mechanics, various weapons, different tactics, but the world itself seems a wasted potential. Compared to bioshock it is way easier to earn credits and obtain ingredients.

  • Arena from UT1 to UE4

    • ZZZ
    • July 10, 2022 at 4:11 AM

    I just realized that I made a mistake in this map that is going to result in me scrapping it.

    I over-focused on the architecture and now that I'm looking at the floorplan, I didn't notice that the corridors are too narrow. The gameplay is not going to work because the player's flow is very bad. Not only that, I misjudged how complicated the architecture would be and honestly, it's not something I would be able to do.

  • What are you playing now?

    • ZZZ
    • June 29, 2022 at 1:11 AM

    Megatextures really look good from a distance, but extremely low res up close. The wasterland's design is very good.

    Just learned something new from Rage. If the player visits an area and then has to go back to the beginning of it. Either make the mission end near the beginning or give the player a shortcut, like they did with ziplines to go back to the beginning.

  • What are you playing now?

    • ZZZ
    • June 28, 2022 at 2:58 PM

    FEAR 2 is the best.

    FEAR 3 ruined the horror theme.

  • What are you playing now?

    • ZZZ
    • June 28, 2022 at 3:51 AM

    I quitted Quake 4 in the first mission and watched about 1 hour in youtube at 2x speed. I guess, the stroggs universe is a dead end. It adds some new tech on top of the old quake, but that's it. It's too dark and repetitive. There is a lot of blood stains everywhere but this is an action game, not an horror game. F.E.A.R. does a better job at bringing horror than doom 3 and quake 4 is boring. The medic dying on me made me quit haha. Id tech 4 suffers from a severe lack of contrast. It must had been some trade off between performance and color precision that they made at the time.

    This brought me one more example to my level design site. Revisiting areas can be done and the first mission did it and opened up some new passages, but to travel back just to escort a medic is so boring. It doesn't add bring anything fresh to the plot. It just forces the player to revisit a previous area twice.

    Trying Rage now.

  • Level Design Help Files

    • ZZZ
    • June 18, 2022 at 1:58 AM

    Useless rant deleted.

  • What are you playing now?

    • ZZZ
    • June 15, 2022 at 3:16 AM
    Quote from AlexM

    37 minutes ago, AlexM said: What's your level design site?

    https://sites.google.com/view/leveldesi…sion?authuser=0

  • What are you playing now?

    • ZZZ
    • June 4, 2022 at 12:03 PM

    Duke Nukem Forever.

    I knew it was bad and I'm playing it to get more examples for my level design site. The first enemies and levels are already awful.

    EDIT: I couldn't bare this game. I had to download a save and use the cheats to rush it straight to the ending with god mode and infinite ammo. lol. It has the same mistake of Prey 2006. They give no clues and leave the player lost with no proper directions.

  • Level Design Help Files

    • ZZZ
    • May 29, 2022 at 3:35 AM

    Useless rant deleted.

  • What are you playing now?

    • ZZZ
    • May 24, 2022 at 5:09 PM

    I'm taking a shot at Dark Forces after decades.

    Boy, the level design in this game is overly complicated and confusing.

  • Unreal Engine 5

    • ZZZ
    • May 12, 2022 at 4:37 PM
    Quote from Zarsky

    20 hours ago, Zarsky said:


    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3qBzaY

    ?

    I thought it was recorded with a cellphone. Guess not.

  • What music have you listened to recently?

    • ZZZ
    • April 24, 2022 at 5:35 AM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • Goals for 2022?

    • ZZZ
    • April 22, 2022 at 10:31 PM

    .

  • Goals for 2022?

    • ZZZ
    • April 13, 2022 at 11:50 PM

    edit

  • Max Payne Remake

    • ZZZ
    • April 7, 2022 at 3:47 AM

    sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    But I'm not a fan of the graphic novel interrupting the game flow. I liked back then but for today standards I'm not a fan because they disrupt the immersion factor.

  • Goals for 2022?

    • ZZZ
    • February 21, 2022 at 2:37 PM

    .

  • Post interesting talks / presentations / conferences

    • ZZZ
    • January 29, 2022 at 8:04 PM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    Now I'm feeling like contacting her and showing my wiki to her. She is right, bad teachers are hindering everyone's ability to learn math. The example she gave with the sequence of squares. So many different ways to view it. Yet, if you take an IQ test, just one of those forms is accepted. I lost count of how many times my peers were complaining about exams that were at a level of difficulty that wasn't expected. That's one of the points that I made in my wiki, I writing it to learn, not to focus on scoring high on exams.

  • Goals for 2022?

    • ZZZ
    • January 26, 2022 at 3:13 AM

    .

  • Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

    • ZZZ
    • January 18, 2022 at 3:52 PM

    This should give hope for Diablo IV fans.

  • Goals for 2022?

    • ZZZ
    • January 12, 2022 at 4:44 PM

    I'm making small lists of 3 to 5 goals. If I make a long list of chapters to do, such as 20 chapters. I'm sure that I'm going to be overwhelmed by the size of it and very often what is one topic is, underneath, a combination of many subtopics.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™