1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Vilham

Posts by Vilham

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Vilham
    • January 25, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    Quote from luque

    Not a screenshot but a trailer Worked on this 6 months ago when I was still in school. Wanted to make a full custom game with 6 people that had no or little experience with UDK.

    I have worked on the first map VolcanoIsland.


    Game features 3 classes, bomb planting/defusing and more!

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    looks pretty awesome tbh, great thing to have on your portfolio.

  • 20 Brush Challenge Voting: LAYOUT/GAMEPLAY

    • Vilham
    • January 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM

    Anyone else having problems getting the unreal maps to play ingame? Also are any of the Source maps setup for bots?

  • 20 Brush Challenge Voting: BRUSHWORK

    • Vilham
    • January 24, 2011 at 7:28 PM

    Does unique design not come under visual. I would certainly consider it to.

    Would have thought brushwork is for technical ability and how difficult something is to construct, hence why I voted Reno. (besides, Reno's to me has as much an original design as shard)

  • MapCore Challenge Discussion (Old)

    • Vilham
    • January 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM

    I like the idea of those challenges. I didn't spend huge amounts of time on this challenge but it did motivate me to learn geometry tools and the material editor in unreal (even though the map I submitted didn't make use geometry tool and minimal use of custom textures, another map i was working on did).

    Future comps sounds good, as long as they are well space apart, ie not every month and have plenty of warning/long deadlines as lot of us obviously have active lives.

  • 20 Brush Challenge Voting: BRUSHWORK

    • Vilham
    • January 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

    Well time to open up some discussion

    Out of all the categories I think this is a hard one to vote on, as on face value it's hard to see the actual complexity of the brushes used to create these maps. I think im gunna open up skysilcox's map in UT3 editor and have a look, as that looks fairly complex. Lunaran's also looks quite complex. I however can see 6 that won't be getting my vote (including my own).

  • THE 20 BRUSH CHALLENGE: Submission Thread

    • Vilham
    • January 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM

    DM-Crystal

    The final map I decided upon, I wanted to make several extra changes to the brushes, but don't really have the time.

    Brush count: 21 (no idea where or what Brush_O is. Also has GravityVolume and KillVolume)

    Tested with AI, seems to work pretty well. Custom texture.

    Download: http://%7boption%7d

    Please tell me if images are too large. (or can you make them thumbnails?)

    [Blocked Image: http://vilham.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/beautyshot.jpg]

    (Deleted 3 brushes to give better view of layout.

    [Blocked Image: http://vilham.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/layoutshot.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://vilham.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/brushcount.jpg]

  • "20 Brush" level compo! WIP / discussion thread

    • Vilham
    • January 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM

    48 hours seems ok.

    As far as my map is going, layout is in and good but am struggling to get the effect I want from my textures and lighting. Hopefully I can get it done in time though.

  • "20 Brush" level compo! WIP / discussion thread

    • Vilham
    • January 23, 2011 at 1:49 AM

    That's anooying :/ not gunna be able to submit it, was gunna spend tomorrow (sunday) finishing it up, and im going to bed now. Nvm.

  • totally random texture thread

    • Vilham
    • January 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM

    in unreal do emissive textures ignore all other properties?

    Im trying to make a see through slightly glowing texture but am having trouble getting the results I want.

  • "20 Brush" level compo! WIP / discussion thread

    • Vilham
    • January 21, 2011 at 9:24 AM

    im just trying to get my single texture im making to work, then im basically done. But other things have kinda taken priority over this comp unfortunately.

  • William Josephy - Level Designer

    • Vilham
    • January 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM

    So im taking new screengrabs of my work, what would people say makes a good design screenshot? Keep in mind these are interior locations mainly with ceilings at about 4 meters.

  • What are you playing now?

    • Vilham
    • January 20, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    Quote from Skacky

    I'm replaying Dungeon Keeper right now. Ah, the pleasures of having a Horned Reaper completely trashing your dungeon when he's angry. :derp:

    Are you gunna be getting dungeons? That new game thats basically a spiritual successor to DK?

    Im definitely tempted, might wait for it to drop a tenner first though.

  • "20 Brush" level compo! WIP / discussion thread

    • Vilham
    • January 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM

    yeah but if im doing that I would rather not have a 3 week deadline

  • "20 Brush" level compo! WIP / discussion thread

    • Vilham
    • January 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM

    So I started making a ctf map inspired by that Quake 3 arena space one. Then I realised whats the point, theres no bonus points for making a CTF map and theres no points for how well it plays. So a DM map that looks nice is the obvious route.

  • "20 Brush" level compo! WIP / discussion thread

    • Vilham
    • January 14, 2011 at 11:01 PM

    I cant figure out for what engine though.

  • "20 Brush" level compo! WIP / discussion thread

    • Vilham
    • January 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM

    looks pretty cool to me.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Vilham
    • January 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM

    cone brush then extruded the top face 2x and then vertex manipulation.

    Had to select the top level of verticies then tried to centre the pivot, but that placed it totally wrong, so had to snap pivot to grid on Front and side cameras then scale to ensure the verts stay in line with the centre of the diamond

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Vilham
    • January 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM

    finally managed to make a diamond and boy was it a pain in the arse.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Vilham
    • January 12, 2011 at 12:31 AM

    ok, how do I make a diamond shaped brush in unreal? Ive tried but it keeps causing UT3 editor to crash.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Vilham
    • January 11, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    Quote from Sentura

    displacements do not take up more memory or lessen peformance worse than brushes, so it should be a no brainer.

    yeah.

    Just make sure you place nodraw brushes to match the general terrain to ensure culling.

    Images

    • 20b_octavius.webp
      • 15.19 kB
      • 512 × 288
    • 20b_barragan0003.webp
      • 60.82 kB
      • 1,280 × 720
    • 20b_barragan0004.webp
      • 62.44 kB
      • 1,280 × 720
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™