1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. madgernader

Posts by madgernader

  • Grand Theft Auto IV

    • madgernader
    • April 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM

    I picked up my copy yesterday. I'm surprised the special edition bonus items are actully pretty good quality, although the soundtrack isnt really my cup of tea outsite the game. Ive only played it for afew hours, but I love it, except Im not used to the more realistic car controls, and strangley, thus far I'm not as interested in free roaming around, Might just be because I havnt unlocked the other parts of town, and I dont know what (or if theres any) collectable items / side missions for bonuses (secret packages/spray locations/taxi/police/etc) are. Oh well. The storys good and will keep me entertained.

  • Condemned 2: Bloodshot

    • madgernader
    • April 29, 2008 at 12:40 AM

    Yea, thats what I was planning to do, Although I was hoping for more from C2 since I'm a fan of my ps3 over 360, but the original isnt on ps3 oh well

  • Condemned 2: Bloodshot

    • madgernader
    • April 27, 2008 at 11:40 PM

    I never actually played the first one, But Ive been meaning to pick it up, it looked cool, and all my friends said it was great. But the Demo for C2 was a dissappointment. It looked great and all, but like people have said its abit supernatural, which ruined it for me, I Thought the original was cool because you fought addicts and other PEOPLE, not (C2 demo related spoiler / generic enemy type)

    Quote

    Evil Black Oil/Goo/tar things that jump out of the walls and attack you

    So I probably wont pick it up, unless the price drops.

  • Mod of the Year Award 2007 - The Winners

    • madgernader
    • January 31, 2008 at 4:05 AM
    Quote from dux

    Operation Black Mesa? Did they mix that up with Black Mesa Source?

    That would be a little hard to do, since they had Black Mesa Source in the "Honerable mentions" category, reason being was they cant win unreleased twice I think.

  • Level Design for different engines...

    • madgernader
    • November 29, 2007 at 11:05 PM
    Quote from Rick_D

    in asnwer to OP's question: If you want to build levels, then yes, learn a modeling app, max or maya - whichever you can get your hands on legally (lol). If you want to build levels or create props for them you will more than likely be working in a 3d app - or in a toolset inspired by a modeling app.

    Thats what I would want to do, building all the levels and working from the concepts and all that fun stuff.

    So it seems that learning to model would be a good thing to do

    I figured I could get by without it, but after looking at all the other engines I thought of how awful it would be to not know how, and or have someone else constantly changing things for you...

    Does anyone know where some good Maya tutorials are? (I say maya because I tried 3dsmax awhile back and it didnt really impress me much )

  • Level Design for different engines...

    • madgernader
    • November 29, 2007 at 4:06 AM

    Okay, I've used source for around 2 years off and on, and I've grown accustomed to how a large majority of it is brush based.

    So I've been messing around with various other editors, and what I really want to know is, if I want to get anywhere as a level designer am I going to need to learn to model? as most of the newer engines I've seen had a large majority of models used for everything from terrain to props; With most brushwork (atleast from my attempts) not reaching the quality that could probably be easily acheived by one skilled with some modeling program.

    Ive tried

    *Hammer (HL2/HL1)

    *Radiant (Doom3)

    *Construction Set (Oblivion/Morrowind)

    *Ued 3 (Roboblitz)

    *Ued 2 (UT04, Red Orchestra)

    *Sandbox (Farcry/Crysis)

    So what I really want are your thoughts on what you think it would take to do well as a level designer for various engines...

  • HL2 sdk update tomorrow morning

    • madgernader
    • November 29, 2007 at 3:46 AM

    Red Orchestra did a pretty good job of using a more realistic atmosphere in the Unreal engine, of course that's UT2

    and like others have said engines just set the boundaries you work in, and it's up to the developers to make something fresh out of it... I think the UT3 engine just hasn't been out long enough for more realistic projects to really show themselves.

    Personally I think that games tend to make their content off of the engines original work... sounds weird but what i mean is, the source engine was made for more of that realistic look (basing this off of HL2), and so many projects kept that same basic style in their design, and I think we're just seeing the same for UT3, where the environments weren't realistic but they were believable in a way.

    I want to say the Splinter Cell games used the unreal engine aswell, and they seemed pretty realistic. Anyways thats my rant.

  • What old games are you playing?

    • madgernader
    • November 8, 2007 at 5:20 AM

    I play old Final Fantasy games for the PS1 pretty often, since I just recently got a ps3, so I've been playing all the old classic games i never got to really play before since its my first sony console...

  • Latest Mapcore console owernship survey

    • madgernader
    • November 8, 2007 at 5:17 AM

    Whoo all 3

    although, this might be why I'm lacking on the cash...

  • Modelling Software for Level Creation

    • madgernader
    • September 16, 2007 at 8:12 PM

    I tried my hand at mapping for Halo on the PC, and it used 3dsmax for all the terrain and such, and then once you had that made you opened up its editing program (I cant quite remember the name) and within it you placed all the game related props/ spawns/ etc.

    So my view of it the modeling programs are only really used for the terrain/environments (in terms of the level design of coarse) the rest of it is all placed in interfaces that to a point kind of work like Hammer.

  • BioShock demo up on XBL!

    • madgernader
    • August 13, 2007 at 5:26 AM

    No High speed internet here I miss everything fun this way....

  • Microsoft facing $1bn Xbox bill

    • madgernader
    • July 6, 2007 at 5:34 AM

    Yea, I saw this earlier today, and it happened to be right as I was starting to wonder what would happen as soon as my MS warranty ended, since I got a 3 year extended one but its from the store I bought it from.... But at this rate I don't think I'll ever need to worry, and having it only die once thus far in almost a year now, i think I'm doin good.

  • [Source] Compiling maps under Vista = unresponsive system.

    • madgernader
    • June 28, 2007 at 5:25 PM

    Wow, I don't get a problem to that extent, I'm running vista and the worse that happens is hammer and the compile appear to stop responding if I click off its window to do other stuff, but I can still access everything fine....

    I like vista so far, even with all the negitive comments, my one complaint is for some reason it gets owned by Java, as soon as its running for any bit of time, my cpu usage jumps and hangs at high 90%-100% and causes some overheating....

  • 12 broken 360's

    • madgernader
    • June 28, 2007 at 5:04 PM

    I got mine last august and it was fine until it got the RRoD a few months ago, with the warranty i didn't mind too much, that and i don't got many games for it. But the worst part was, as soon as I got it back and powered it up, it had the RRoD again... but luckily after restarting it everything worked, but now I get it every so often, its like its taunting me...

  • Operation Black Mesa is looking for talented individuals.

    • madgernader
    • June 25, 2007 at 4:44 PM
    Quote

    why are you here and complaining so much look, man, ur really complaining about the ftp, and ur actually here to inform and reqruit people of this community. or are u here to tell us the latest..

    Im sorry, that post was more out of personal frustration, and as the first two replies had gone, I felt this was going to turn into another thread just ripping at the mod, Now that I look at it again I should have made that into a pm and sent it, but its a little late for that now.

    Thank you for your thoughts in your other post though, and looking at the manual, and seeing the gearbox teams size at the time really isnt that bad, if you take out the people designated to write the manual and design the layout and consider the fact that some people can do multiple things it comes to about 22 different people, which is fully acheivable by a mod, we just need to fix our image and get some good content out there and get the people interested, which can be hard, as there are people that would want the mod to be exactly the same as the original, and then theres almost an equal amount that would want it changed to improve the story or other features in the game, its really a lose lose situation either way.

  • Operation Black Mesa is looking for talented individuals.

    • madgernader
    • June 25, 2007 at 6:09 AM

    Are you fucking serious..... God damn, it seems everyone that I recruited when I formed the mod team wants to just rip off content....

    FMPONE, i never directly replyed to your post, as you must have posted it as I was writing my first reply, I don't frequent the BMS site, and so I'm glad that you brought this picture up, I never knew that it still resembled it after it was changed, it was never mentioned to me, I will talk with seldoon about this and see what I can do about removing the pictures from the site, I say see because Seldoon is running the site and controls FTP access and the like... I am getting really tired of this happening and basically ruining my good appearance and making me look like a common thief.

    JeanPaul, if you don't mind, could you find other places that bear this level of resemblance with BM maps and pm them to me so that I can get to removing them, and hopefully stop this from occurring.

  • Operation Black Mesa is looking for talented individuals.

    • madgernader
    • June 25, 2007 at 3:55 AM

    Yes, I see your point, that area had been changed from its original, which had a much bigger resemblance to the original, because of an ugly deal with the original mapper being accused of stealing designs out of the leaked black mesa source maps, and because of this Seldoon redesigned the level so the issue wouldn't escalate, and so not as much time went into making it as much a recreation, but as you mentioned it is a WIP and most likely will change.

    In our final designs we do want our levels to bear a closer resemblance to the originals, while also changing enough to efficiently use the new engines features and improve on the game play/atmosphere laid down by the original.

  • Operation Black Mesa is looking for talented individuals.

    • madgernader
    • June 25, 2007 at 3:29 AM

    Hello, I am current co-leader of the Source engine recreation of the original Half-Life: Opposing Force. The mod has been in development for around a year and a half, in which time we have had multiple media releases, and have started to build up a fan base.

    More information on the mod, as quoted from our ModDB profile.

    Quote

    Operation Black Mesa is a total Source conversion of Half Life: Opposing Force.......A list of features planned for the final release:

    » Complete re-creation of all 12 chapters from the original.

    » Models that push the limits of the Source Engine.

    » Multiplayer, including Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch with all the original levels fleshed out.

    » New voices, sounds, and visuals to truly immerse you in the Black Mesa incident.

    » Level Design tweaks to utilize the advanced physics engine introduced in Half Life 2.

    » A remixed soundtrack including enhanced music from the original along with all new ones.

    » Extended Single Player experience, with new areas and new monsters filling in gaps left in the original.

    » Immersive scenes that make you really feel for the employees of the Facility.

    » CTF may be included, But not in early releases.

    Display More

    Images from our last media release can be found on either our ModDB profile page ([email protected]

    MSN: Same

    [Blocked Image: http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/68/6885/gallery/thumb_54467.jpg][Blocked Image: http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/68/6885/gallery/thumb_54463.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/68/6885/gallery/thumb_54464.jpg][Blocked Image: http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/68/6885/gallery/thumb_48538.jpg]

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™