1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. clankill3r

Posts by clankill3r

  • Is it worth it for a level designer to learn how to make concept art?

    • clankill3r
    • December 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM

    I think it depends on if it's hobby or not and how much you think it will improve your maps and how much enjoyment you get out of it.

    I used to sketch a little but I get much better results If I float around with the camera in my map thinking thinking and thinking. However 2 days ago I started sketching a little again, just so i'm not behind a monitor all day.


    What I used to do is make a screenshot of a part of a map where I needed to continue. I would make the screenshot in such a way that on the right side of the image you could see for 30% or something a building I mapped. On the left side nothing except brushes for the floor. Then I would print it out like 10 times with 90% transparency so you hardly could see it. After that I would draw over the outlines of the building I already mapped and after that draw a building next to it from scratch (or a wall etc.). This worked really well for me cause you have guidance for scale and perspective and you can see how it adds to what you already mapped. I really recommend to try this out.


    Anyway, If time is not an issue, go make concept art. Else I would look around for it.

  • ITT: Post maps/scenes that never saw the light of the day.

    • clankill3r
    • December 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM

    I have so much, but I have to compile a lot

    Anyway, I found this on wayBackMachine: (click it, it's a gif)



    It was my signature on the specialists forum. Making that door explode like that was a a lot of work for half life 1

    It was for a update of ts_gpc where the map would go bigger on a certain amount of players, but I never released it.


    So happy I founded that image back

  • What I'm Working On

    • clankill3r
    • December 12, 2014 at 8:07 PM

    I love your work!

  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

    • clankill3r
    • December 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM

    I love the difference between:


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/ZJppch5.png]


    and:


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/uDrVnGK.png]


    So small, yet so much.


    About the new tunnels, it looks like the mapper mapped quite some time for TF2 and had problems switching style.

  • Sledge Editor

    • clankill3r
    • December 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM

    I think gold source has all the things source has so from that point of view I understand his approach.

  • De_Summer [WIP]

    • clankill3r
    • December 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM

    You could also make it a night map

  • CS:GO Workshop: Weapon Finishes

    • clankill3r
    • December 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM

    I like the blue CZ except I would prefer it with a black magazine. Or a magazine with a lot of scratches on it.

  • Generic 3D Level Editor v0.2

    • clankill3r
    • December 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM

    Btw, I'm pretty sure you won't do it but why don't you hook up with Lajron?


    You guys are sort or working on the same thing. And I think combining talent could push the quality further then you would be able to do on your own.


    Just a silly idea


    O yeah, one more,


    1) please have auto-save incase of crashes.


    2) And another idea (i'm getting on fire ), being able to search for identical objects. Let's say I created a door out of a brush. It's x by x by x units and has texture x on surface x etc.

    I would select the object, go to tools > find similar objects. It could create a list like entity report where you can go to each of them. For the search, it should consider rotations in 90 degrees*, for the rest everything should match (that is the dimensions and how it's textured).


    This could be a huge timesaver and would be nice if you forgot to create a instance/clones of something.


    3) There is the Cordon Usage in hammer which I didn't use very often. Those things:

    [Blocked Image: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/8/81/Mo-editcordon.png][Blocked Image: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/1/1a/Mo-togglecordon.png]

    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hammer_Cordon_Usage


    It would be nice if they can be used for more then they do now. First, let me call it Region Of Interest (ROI) since that name sounds better if it get's multiple purposes in the future.

    If you use the search idea I described at 2 for example. Then It would only search in the ROI. I could also imagine a duplicate going in a direction until it's exceeding the ROI. Or the entity report only in the ROI. I could imagine more useful use for this.


    Also for the Cordon, there should be a option to make it behave like a skybox when compiling. I really disliked the times I used Cordon that it made a black box.

    If there is a light source outside the Cordon that is set to "is sky" then it should also use that light source.

    ----

    I have more ideas but I will throw them in small parts

    The best one is still to come but I need a few hours/days to prepare that.


    O yeah, would be cool if you have a google docs where we can see your todo list and idea.


    * the 90 degrees thing should not be an option but always be on, to many options doesn't make a program better.

  • Sledge Editor

    • clankill3r
    • December 12, 2014 at 1:51 AM

    Another editor
    So nice!
    I'm on my mac right now I have my pc at my studio so I don't game to much

    I will give it a try soon. Hope you will have mac support someday.


    Also I hope you will have better cliff support in the future, I really dislike the look of the hl source cliffs (it's more a hill tool).

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • clankill3r
    • December 12, 2014 at 1:35 AM

    Not sure if I should post it in "Post maps/scenes that never saw the light of the day", but I thought posting it here is a bit more optimistic.


    I started this villa like 3 years ago but didn't touch it a lot since then. I want to finish it in near future.


    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    About the same for this map:


    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    Both maps will be for Double Action Boogaloo. I used to be an official mapper for the specialists (damn i miss that mod).


    During the years I created a love for height deviation.

    I hope you guys like it.

  • Generic 3D Level Editor v0.2

    • clankill3r
    • December 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM

    Really cool you started this.


    What language you program in? It would be nice if you make it public on github so other people can contribute.


    ==========

    Requests:

    What I would like is a scripting editor. Can be really basic. Let's say I want to make condo I could map the first floor and then do something like this:


    pseudo:


    n = 20;

    target = selection();

    h = target.getHeight();


    for (i = 0; i < n; i++) {

    target.copy(target.x, target.y, target.z+(h*i));

    }


    ==========


    Clone objects, I could make a pilar, clone it. And then later edit to original so it affects all clones.


    =========


    Source control friendly, make it so I can push my level changes to github. (maybe it's already possible).


    =========


    keep it up!

  • Mapcore Introductions Thread

    • clankill3r
    • December 11, 2014 at 9:53 PM

    Hi,


    I'm Doeke "clankill3r" Wartena, from the Netherlands.


    I started mapping like 15 years ago or something. My pc was getting old and I couldn't play new games so I wanted something new to do.

    I ended up mapping for the specialists, for those who played it, I made ts_metro, ts_parking, ts_gpc and ts_fall.

    After that I always ended up making new maps or remakes and never finished them. (The hardest part of improving a map is knowing when to stop). I got inspired by playing other maps like dod_avalanche from day of defeat. This was kind of bad since the specialists was deathmatch. From all my mistakes I really learned a lot. I think my best maps never got released.


    I never really mapped for source, I had a bug in my 3d view which causes it to have almost no contrast which annoyed the fuck out of me. Also I got busy with other things.


    The last years I made 3 layouts I think. Lately I'm more motivated again to pick mapping up again since I really miss it. It feels kind of special to walk in an area you made, hard to describe but I think most of you guys know the feeling.


    For the rest, I want to make a youtube channel Map Making Academy where I focus more on layout and how height affects gameplay for example rather then how certain tools work. In the beginning it will focus on deathmatch since I have most experience with that.

    Lately I really enjoy CS:GO, so I want to make a map for that as well but this will be harder for me since my lack of experience in making maps suitable for a competitive setting.


    The reason for me to come to mapcore is for an additional motivation boost. And for receiving input (and hopefully also giving input).


    I hope to get to know some of you people.

  • Nuclear Dawn (www.nuclear-dawn.net) looking for 2D/3D Artist

    • clankill3r
    • July 9, 2007 at 12:28 PM

    why is that good news?

  • ZBrush3 Creature

    • clankill3r
    • June 26, 2007 at 4:27 PM

    damn, that wax shader is awsome!!

    Like a kid made it.

    looks cool

  • Fistful of Frags is recruiting.

    • clankill3r
    • May 24, 2007 at 5:11 PM

    you should post some screens here since the work done so far looks really nice!

  • hl2 map scale

    • clankill3r
    • May 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM
    Quote from Rick_D

    Of course you do, perhaps you could share your new-found knowledge with valve

    I just did, they offered me a job

  • hl2 map scale

    • clankill3r
    • May 16, 2007 at 10:25 PM

    I am considering making a new HL2 mod but I want to solve the problem where HL2 cuts large faces up into smaller faces.

    Is it worth to go in a different scale with mapping than default so you can create bigger areas?

    Afcorse you loose detail but I want to get the detail back by models.

    plz tell why it would be good and why not and which scale value would be the best like 1/4 for example.

  • Texture Artist required for The Specialists Mod

    • clankill3r
    • April 29, 2007 at 12:17 PM

    very cool

    yes I'm intrested, also in merging your part (but I have to ask stinkey aswell).

    edit: spacer I didn't saw your topic before.. sorry

    (for other people, he's helping me now).

  • Texture Artist required for The Specialists Mod

    • clankill3r
    • April 24, 2007 at 1:24 PM

    Also the color of the textures lobby has now can be better.

    (lobby below isn't made by us)

    [Blocked Image: http://www.specialistsmod.net/screen_pics/matrix.jpg]

    We need marmer, lift textures, some for roof and office textures.

    We will take care of screen captures to make work more easy.

  • Texture Artist required for The Specialists Mod

    • clankill3r
    • April 16, 2007 at 6:53 PM

    I Stinkey and Dreadus are working on a remake of ts_lobby one of the worst but most populair maps from The Specialists.

    We want to make lobby the best whe can and not only the gameplay of it but also the looks.

    To do this whe could use someone who could make us some textures.

    To show us some of the quality here are some pillar models Dreadus made (texture is placeholder).

    [Blocked Image: http://www.clan-kill3r.josti.nl/temp/lobby/pillar_render_lit.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.clan-kill3r.josti.nl/temp/lobby/pillar2_render_lit.jpg]

    This is from ts_trident, the first map Stinkey made (very young talent).

    [Blocked Image: http://www.eclipsethenet.us/stink-inc/stinkey/lobby_portfolio1.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.eclipsethenet.us/stink-inc/stinkey/lobby_portfolio2.JPG]

    This is some work done by me (textures in dojo are done by 3d-mike).

    (maybe you ever played ts_metro, the screen below is from the remake of it for the next TS version).

    [Blocked Image: http://www.eclipsethenet.us/stink-inc/stinkey/lobby_portfolio3.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.eclipsethenet.us/stink-inc/stinkey/lobby_portfolio4.JPG]

    I hope you guys like it and that someone is able to help.

    If so post here or pm me.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™