1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Ascard

Posts by Ascard

  • IT University Game Development 2008 project videos

    • Ascard
    • June 10, 2008 at 11:29 PM
    Quote from MrTwoVideoCards

    Then they will not be Properly Prepared. I teach a class, and the goal is to be artistic in your programming and Level design. Making it work is pie, but making it awesome is the challenge. We use source, and after 2 years, the games I've made with the students I had, were sadly alot better. I'd expect more from a 4 year class.

    Zackers course does sound pretty broad 2 me, more of an overview of development and then an attempt to put some ideas into practice, to use Unreal on the first attempt and come out with something abstract is quite an achievement.

    If this is the first shot at a game you really shouldn't class these pupils as 4 years of games dev study but 4 years of creative media studies (photography, cinemotography, compositing, narrative studies, journalism, media and audience and whatever else usually comes under that bracket), and some of these concepts ( or as I interpret the trailers which I assume are accompanied by presentations to anchor them) seem very intresting to me with a few scripters and artists or just experience, there's room for strong products imho

  • Crysis Map ~ Vulcano [WIP]

    • Ascard
    • June 10, 2008 at 12:31 AM
    Quote from Ginger Lord

    Sea turtles.

    aye sea turtles :wink:

  • [UT3] DM-Acquisition Beta

    • Ascard
    • June 10, 2008 at 12:28 AM
    Quote from Sentura

    i really like the architecture and texture work. the only thing i can really nitpick about is that for a rusty set like that, it would look so much better with a more gloomy skybox. needless to say, ill try it out.

    I think the box compliments the textures really well, its just the right amount of contrast imo

  • Tablets?

    • Ascard
    • June 10, 2008 at 12:23 AM
    Quote from Zacker

    Wacom Intuos 3 A5 is highly recommended.

    If the A5 widescreen is out of stock

  • 3dsMax or Maya?

    • Ascard
    • June 10, 2008 at 12:18 AM
    Quote from Inveramsay

    I've been using XSI for a week or so and have managed to produce a good bunch of plants etc.

    Word through the grapevine is that XSI is the king for organic modelling, I Can't imagine it being worth the price tag though

    I love Maya, I'd marry maya and have subdiv babies together ^^

    I do really like the pelt mapping of Max but you can get the same functionality out of headus UvLayout, though that is secondary software to support the already more expensive software.

    For modeling I think max is easier to jump into but Maya has a better workflow, customisability and layout for me personally, In any case learning one teaches you alot about the other too. You can't really go wrong I thinks

  • [UT2k4] DM_Baroque

    • Ascard
    • October 21, 2006 at 7:25 PM

    I don't know about 3DS but in maya that shape isn't too diffucult to make,... assuming that it was modeled from seperate primitives then booleaned at the end.

    All in all that is absoloutly amazing, Way beyond anything i've seen for a while, and the texturing is beautiful

  • Hi-res Unreal 3 engine demo video

    • Ascard
    • October 21, 2006 at 7:16 PM

    That engine looks gr8, really complicated but gr8

    *Really scared inside*

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™