1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. e-freak

Posts by e-freak

  • Editor tools what to learn next?

    • e-freak
    • December 2, 2008 at 8:15 PM

    that list wasn't complete in june either. esp when it comes to education I know a good hand full of universities with CE2 or Source at hands. And as pointed out in the Midway Thread it seems UE3 is currently losing a lot of studios (basically every Midway Studio could be affected atm)

  • Midway Games sold for $100 000 (not a joke)

    • e-freak
    • December 2, 2008 at 2:11 PM

    afaik midway complained about ue3 being the biggest mistake they bought last year - they equipped every studio with it and it turned out they weren't able to work with it probably as it wasn't as flexible as they thought it'd be. gotta find the link to that interview :S

    http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scen ... t-wen.html

    Quote

    To find out, I spoke to several ex-employees. And while there were lots of little things, one issue popped up again and again: Midway's decision to license Unreal Engine and use it for ALL its games."The mistake we made was, instead of just taking the base Unreal 3 engine that 'Gears of War' was made on and building games off of that, we let our tech and product development guys try to really modify the engine to add all these diff things," one ex-employee told me. "It was a ton of new technology which they just weren’t capable of doing. It put all the games way behind schedule."

    Even though Midway invested millions in building a common tech base for all its studios, apparently they all had to adapt UE3 for each project, which meant they couldn't share resources in a timely manner, so none of the promised benefits materialized. Making the code work for PS3 was particularly hard, sources said, and so games just weren't coming out. Look at the first half of 2007, when all Midway shipped was "Lord of the Rings Online" for Turbine, or the first half of this year, when all it shipped was "Unreal Tournament III" for Epic.

    Combine that with Midway's relatively weak cash position, as former Chief Marketing Officer Steve Allison explained, and it was a recipe for disaster.

  • Best mods you ever played?

    • e-freak
    • December 1, 2008 at 5:20 PM

    Not as cool as Surprise!

  • Best mods you ever played?

    • e-freak
    • December 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM

    Poke646 Series, Minerva, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Insurgency, Natural Selection, some Quake3-Modifiers, WarCraft 3 - The Spiderqueen (to name one RTS-Mod ), Portal: Prelude, Team Fortress, Black Mesa: Sideline (HL1 Mod), IOS, PVK II, Sven Coop, Fortress Forever, Uther Parties (WC3 Mod once again!), DotA (WC3 Mod woho!), Desert Combat...

    Must have forgotten a good bunch. Esp Half-Life and HL2 have so many quality mods (although everyone's whining about the tools)...

    http://www.hlportal.de/?sec=mods&site=m ... released=2

  • n8brakers photothread

    • e-freak
    • November 30, 2008 at 11:12 AM

    i like the first one - really great tension in there.

  • Editor tools what to learn next?

    • e-freak
    • November 30, 2008 at 12:59 AM

    most probably because everyone who's able to use UE3/Hammer/Radiant/SB2 is able to use a simple RTS Editor (well pun here maybe - last editor I used was World Editor for WC3 and it's noway as complex as a shooter-editor)

  • Editor tools what to learn next?

    • e-freak
    • November 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM

    have been working with hammer and sandbox2 (ce2) and they both are somewhat simmilar to ue3. sandbox is quite intuitiv and the scripting is quite simmilar to ue's while hammer is more from the brushwork/modelling part simmilar to ue. L4D and TF2 are definetally the best games atm to go for with custom-maps. Source SDK is quite a lot more deeper than it comes to custom-content though. UE3 and SB2 are way easier in terms of custom content importing.

    edit: Disagree with Steppen: The gameplay of crysis is different - that's why the SB2 levels are different, but esp with TF2 and L4D you'd need to reconsider the ways of creating levels to most of the UE3 games. It's technically simmilar but it really something much more compelling to work with the rules of these two titles.

  • New Portfolio site - Interview - 180 TCOS screenshots

    • e-freak
    • November 29, 2008 at 7:23 PM

    good points there and i can now see why you decided like this . the missing pics were on the 2d/3d page some of the last posts.

  • New Portfolio site - Interview - 180 TCOS screenshots

    • e-freak
    • November 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM

    Your work is great, your page is not so much (imho!).

    I've a pretty large screen and still I open the page and the only thing I see in the beginning is a big Header and only text (the Index Part). The Header constantly keeps catching my eyes and I have to refocus on the text. There's no welcome message or anything but it's like I look into a Manual "For Informations on how to repair the lawn-mowner goto page 15". If I scroll down I see some thumbnails which have absolutely no context until then. All Button-Texts are without anti-alaising and the font is much to impact and bolt to be read instinctivly.

    The second page is the first thing someone will see then start browsing the portfolio and wow - that's only text. It's great what you have achieved but I open this page and it looks like I could read the Encyclopedia Britanica in the same time I need to read through this page. Esp. the paragraph about chronicles of spellborn is without any space between the lines and reads as one big block.

    Page 3 is nice structured but the AA-missing Bolt-Textes make it a bit clumpsy and the first two screenshots (which I'd center instead of heaving them on the far right because they reflect your skill much better than any text could do) seem to have Doener-King-Filter applied much too heavy.

    The Level Pages sorted by years is a nice idea but I don't think it works out: It's a great showcase for people who know you but if I'm a recruiter I'll click on it and see a bunch of 1999 levels first. It's a cool Idea of showing your progress but it's not so cool if I have to click trough 100 portfolios a day and i stop reading after 1999 and leave with the wrong impression. Also: I've to scroll through all the page. There's no 5 screenshots sum up at the top of the page. This way I scroll down, see a bunch of thumbnails per row, all in the same color-set and it really seems from the thumbnails that the level has no contrast within them (If i take the time to see every picture in big size ofc I'll see much more but the first impression is different).

    Some of your thumbs even give me a 404 - not cool either.

    The books are cool but why do you post them so late in the portfolio? Until I reached that site it took me 10 Minutes and I won't spend that much time if I'm a recruiter.

    And on the js-popup pictures: If I have such a pop up over my screen at least allow me to click on the picture to close it and not have to search for a close button all over my screen.

    Well - great portfolio none the less and I really like it as is, just though I'd share my 2cents

  • Music and 3DsMax

    • e-freak
    • November 27, 2008 at 1:25 PM

    ya i got it into the audio editor (though had to make it a wave instad of mp3). can you tell me how to do the react stuff? I don't find anything about it and it certainly sounds like what i've been looking for.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • e-freak
    • November 25, 2008 at 7:13 PM

    man that's awesome. the halgrimskirkja is a bit taller in rl i think and a lot darker but wow - great stuff! (oh and erik wasn't a horse )

  • 2000 members!

    • e-freak
    • November 25, 2008 at 5:29 PM

    Isn't Weltenbauer one of the biggest resellers and trainers of Autodesk Products in Mid-Europe?

  • Portraits.

    • e-freak
    • November 25, 2008 at 4:34 PM

    I knew most of it but what blew me the most (and seems to be from this november) is the picture of Morgan Freeman.

    [Blocked Image: http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g95/24495/24495_1225562407_large.jpg]

  • Mirror's Edge

    • e-freak
    • November 25, 2008 at 4:10 PM

    Wait for the PC-Release. And got damn it bring it on steam! I'd bet my ass it'd sell at least 50% more units.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • e-freak
    • November 25, 2008 at 2:59 PM

    Hammer is still fine. Whiners. Just keep your eyes open for the L4D SDK update and check if it offers any new possibilities. If you like the displacement tool so much you should consider sandbox 2 though.

  • Music and 3DsMax

    • e-freak
    • November 23, 2008 at 5:47 PM

    so I'm doing a uni-assignment atm which states I shall make an animation to a piece of music. I'm free to chose which tool I want to use. It is supposed to be simple and depending on forms and colors (very abstract). so I decided to pick up max, and try to visualize my ideas in there.

    The problem I'm facing now is, I can't get my music into max. I know max is a 3D tool and not a music player but I'm looking for a way to jump to a certain frame in my timeline in max and jump to the very same time in my music - press play and animation and music are syncron playing. Is this possible or do I have to work with "Press VLC Play and Max animation Play as fast as possible"?

  • [GER] Mapcore Beertrinking

    • e-freak
    • November 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM

    You may do them but afaik "you may face consequens for this in rl" (most probably you will kicked ass if you do).

    OK, so who's up for 17th or 19th?

  • I want to get a Digital Camera...

    • e-freak
    • November 22, 2008 at 5:03 PM

    300N is the Analog/Film counterpart to the current EOS beginner series. I still have one - it's awesome but, yeah - not digital

  • [GER] Mapcore Beertrinking

    • e-freak
    • November 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM

    so 19th is still in discussion (or 17th if no one minds).

    Seir: Most probably in Frankfurt (Crytek HQ, Keen Games, Nintendo, Deck13 ). I'd say we'll speak english most of the time if not everyone is comfortable with german

  • I want to get a Digital Camera...

    • e-freak
    • November 21, 2008 at 10:27 PM

    I did not make any good experience with new olympus cameras. used to have an old 2mp one which was cool though.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™