1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. ⌐■_■

Posts by ⌐■_■

  • Ok, so what's your opinion on this?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 19, 2007 at 11:21 PM
    Quote from FrieChamp

    I read the whole thing and I wouldn't think any differently if I or they weren't German.

    But hey - I even agree that it isn't very smart to reduce your userbase by speaking German on your board and this way exclude many future supporters right from the start.

    However instead of shrugging it off, you go on this whole tirade about them excluding you because "you are not German". They aren't putting their nation above anyone else - they are just talking German, do you speak English to fellow dutchmen? I think speaking your native language is a more common thing to do than speaking a foreign one, at least in most big countries.

    Anyway, it could very well be that this is something you were not aware of and I mistook your statements, therefore I apologize, but I still think your reaction on that board was uncalled for. They were speaking their language (and judging from that thread they surely don't speak German because they think they are better or want to exclude anyone) and didn't roll out the red carpet when you offered your help, but that's not a reason to get so angry about it.

    You asked for opinions on this thread- I gave you mine

    This is the 2nd time you interpret my post the wrong way. You describe me as someone who's angry because of the fact they didn't roll out the red carpet for me. That's not true. I was disapointed by their blunt reaction on my post. That has nothing to do with pride. What is it with you, man? When I asked for opinions I didn't ask for offended Germans throwing dirt at me for bringing this up..

    Look at Nih, he thinks I'm comparing them to nazi's. That did not happen yet he read your post and thaught I did. This is incredibly frustrating for me. I'm not trying to put the Germans in a bad daylight, I'm just wondering how this happened and how you folks think about it. Now you're putting me in a bad daylight for something I didn't even commit.. Thanks!

    New to me was the fact that most Germans don't speak English. I do think it has to do something with mentality, since most Nordic countries seem to have no problem to adept. And before you start throwning rocks at me aevirex, I'm not aiming at your war past. I think this is a bigger issue for you then it is for me or anyone else..

    Anyhow, for me it's better to conclude to say that this was not what I hoped for. The bright side is that I learned quite alot. Again.

    Sorry to anyone I might have offended. If you guys feel better about this: I'm not a Germany-hater and I certainly don't feel better about myself then I do about you.

    I hate miscommunications..

  • Ok, so what's your opinion on this?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 19, 2007 at 6:34 PM

    Check your PM mate.

    Also; every German I have had the honor of meeting with where very kindhearted (and I mean EVERY German). This was like having a bucket of cold water thrown in my face.

    But ohh well.. I guess spellbinder sets the right tone for me as far is this concerns..

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 19, 2007 at 6:06 PM

  • Ok, so what's your opinion on this?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 19, 2007 at 5:56 PM
    Quote from Gorion

    well killer tomota, as a dutchie you should know what happens in the summer holiday they speak german everywhere, so why not on the internet..dumb arses i say! (btw, i can read german, as most dutch people should be, but i don't understand anything if their speaking to me..)

    Lol, it's always a laugh to take back the beaches and fire of some singparades!! Jolly good times I say!

    Spellbinder:

    Yeah I guess you're right. Your view makes my evening good again.

  • Ok, so what's your opinion on this?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 19, 2007 at 5:52 PM

    Friechamp,

    Get your English straight. I'm referring to the fact that in Germany most movies are synchronated. Chill the fuck out, I'm not being a racist here but I'm not going to defend myself in this respect either. Also: that was a rather cheap swing you took at me there, mate..

    Also, read the whole thing before you regeardlessly stick up for your fellow Germans. I respectfully asked why they only spoke German. I did not yet know almost all Germans don't speak English. Next thing I know is theire saying they don't care about the English speaking part of the internet. Having said that, I think that's pretty blunt to say to someone who's just trying to be of help..

    After that, they only reply in German. FYI: I was posting in the almost died-out English section. So now they're provoking me by talking German in my English thread? Not that I'm really upset about it, but I can say I'm fairly annoyed!

  • Ok, so what's your opinion on this?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 19, 2007 at 5:36 PM

    I am.

    That most Germans can't speak English surprises me! Didn't know that. WTF is wrong with their educational system then? They can't be all that dumb! Just look at the Swedes for instance. Their language is more different from English then the German language and yet they pretty much all seem to have a perfect sence of the English word?

    Also: why do they have to be such blunt dicks about it?

  • Ok, so what's your opinion on this?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 19, 2007 at 5:03 PM

    So I recently signed up on the evilmod boards. I didn't quite know what to expect but I thought I could be of some help on the mappingsection. Anyway, I thought this mod looked cool and I wanted to check out it's community.

    After a short lookaround I noticed almost all sections were in German so I asked why that was, or if I maybe overlooked something. This was the reaction:

    http://%7boption%7d

    I'm pretty surprised disappoined by the respectless approach of non-Germans.

    What's your opinion on this?

    Discuss.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 19, 2007 at 4:57 PM

    Yeah! Why not!!

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 19, 2007 at 1:51 PM

    Sketch:

    Looks nice! I like the atmosphere you created. However, I think the lighting could be more interesting. It's too grey or something. Make it blue maybe?

    Hypeph:

    OMG duckhunt! What mod is this for? (Is there a duckhunt mod?) Looks pretty neat though. Little ''rough'' on the edges sometimes but I'll take that as being HL. Looks fun!

    Moroes:

    Wow.. Impressive. I see alot of repetitiveness in the the wall texture though. Could you maybe rim that with decals, supportbears and stuff? And how about making the lighting orange?

  • Post your pic extravaganza 2007!!!~

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 18, 2007 at 11:06 PM

    Foto is good! Just like your hair.

  • I'm looking for free photoediting program

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 18, 2007 at 5:18 PM

    Yeah but that's probably just because you're used to it.

    I guess my only suggestion wouldn't fit here..

  • de_static *RC VERSION DL* - updated 16/02

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 16, 2007 at 2:17 PM

    Hessi, you rock.

  • Post your pic extravaganza 2007!!!~

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 16, 2007 at 10:00 AM

    That is one beautiful neiboorhood Vivi!

  • Old School Finished Entries

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 15, 2007 at 8:38 AM

    Ok, I've taken the time to test some maps (without other player though) and these are my conclusions:

    Comboman:


    Wow! Original. I admire the fact that you tried to implement two types of gameplay: hallwayshooting and open air shooting (I'm not a native Engish speaker so bear with me here). I personnaly don't like the one-way hallway's you have in your onderground part. It takes time before you get the layout and I love free space when MP'ing. The outside part of your map offers that. It also has very ''area 51'ish'' feeling to me. Good job!

    Avon:

    This map has a really awesome theme. It really drawed me into the map and even got me almost thinking sometimes I was playing a SP map. The lighting is simply decent. All in all a very complete and neat map. Looks like someone really took the time to start ánd finnish a map on a decent matter. Allthough I don't expect anything less from min0z, I really really like this map. Must play this map in MP with you guys!

    Hazlab:

    The map with the projector! I think your style is very quakish and I like that. I like the lava and I like the atmosphere you created. Allthough I think the brushwork is a little bit simple and the texturing could be more varying (maybe sometimes a bit more apealing to your theme), I think this map looks pretty good. It sux though that I have never seen anything more of your work so I can't tell what standards you normally have. I also really wanna know what kind of gameplay this map brings. Not bad!!

    Hestia:

    Avon's very different looking twinbrother. I really like how you created one big scene here. Your eye for detail shows in every corner of your map and emerges me into your level. Although I think I might have some trouble manouvering in your map sometimes, I think this map brings good gameplay to experienced players. Must play for every hldm player!

    Hookup:

    This is a surprisingly good looking map with intruiging brushwork, consistent texture use and probably good gameplay. I personnaly really couldn't put my finger on the atmosphere. It's strange and sometimes didn't quite make sense to me.. A thing that struck me was that not all player starts have been positioned very good (facing a wall when starting) but that's not something I'd be lying awake for. Also: I think you might be the only one from the maps I've tested to have a.. jumpsuit! I really liked this map.

    So I gues I can say that, over all, I'm very impressed by the quality of all maps! It's really fun to see that so much people joined in and actually made something they released!! That's just awesome! Sorry for the maps I dit review yet, no time left now!

    As for my own map.. Wow yeah those crates are indeed noisy!! Damn! I know for a fact that my music was on loud and I changed the ingame volume to very low.. If I only knew.. I also noticed that some rockfaces don't show up and indeed, I need to place some clipbrushes in order to prevent skywalking. Also: I want to add an easter egg but frankly, I haven't had the time to do anything to my map since I released it.. Sorry!

    I think it's not a bad idea for everyone to polish out their maps and then to release a final mappack. But that's up to yourself I guess!!

    Good job people!!

  • Whats up with Sven-Co Op?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 14, 2007 at 5:14 PM
    Quote from teeluu

    dumb

  • Old School Finished Entries

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 14, 2007 at 10:15 AM
    Quote from hydeph

    slim z's map is not in the poll.......killertomato's map pack is CSTRIKE/ instead of HALF-LIFE/ and he didn't post twiz's map.

    Ok guys, I've corrected the filestructure now (wich is VALVE/ btw) and I've added Twiz' map. The file in question has been overwritten so the downloadlink in the first post is still valid. Hhaha, I played counterstrike that evening for the first time in decades. Must have made quite an impression!

    Oh, and thanks for your constructive presence, barracuda. Can someone conduct this retard back to EOT?

    I also now see that, allthough they didn't gave me errors (neither in hammer or in the compilelog), the rocks have lots of faces that don't show up!

    Ahh well..

  • Old School Finished Entries

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 13, 2007 at 10:21 PM

    THIEFED

    Just so you guys can DL all maps in one time.

    NOTE: twiz' map is NOT added yet.. But I'm sick and I'm going to bed now.

    Enjoy!

  • Whats up with Sven-Co Op?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 13, 2007 at 5:10 PM

    I think it's just that there are no good mods around for HL2 yet. For instance: Dysatopia. Great visuals and a very impressive prestige, but I really don't like the gameplay (I've played it back in the days my desktop wasn't occaisionally smoking).

    I also get the impression that, allthough the Source engine has greater potential, it isn't really getting used consistently by mods. I see lots of maps being just HL1 clones with smoother lightning and having just a little bit more detail. Nothing more. Hasty work.

    The moment good mods start to come out for the source engine, my prediction is that they will dominate the HL1 mods.

    To conclude my post: I can't really agree with you on this part, Thrik:

    Quote

    Being honest though, I can't look at a HL1 map and take it seriously. I tried playing HL1 recently, and the graphics were so god awful I just couldn't carry on; all the atmosphere they held for me back in 1998 was just gone. Source maps on the other hand have much more available to them for creating an awesome atmosphere.

    When I play They Hunger, I still get into the game without having trouble with the ancient visuals. I know a series of pretty good DoD maps wich still manage to draw me into the virtual experience. Of course, graphics can help, but as NiH said:

    Quote

    All I care is wether the graphics serve to build up an atmosphere than can immerse you into a game.

    And HL1 does that for me, but I guess this is different per person..

  • Whats up with Sven-Co Op?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 13, 2007 at 3:53 PM
    Quote from Thrik

    Can you honestly not run Half-Life 2 at all? I mean, even Source has crossed over its second birthday and if my shit computer in 2004 could run it, bearing in mind you could get hardware of that calibre for peanuts these days, I don't see how it's impossible to create for a newer game.If it's truly the creativity that drives you, why not just produce your maps with a level of detail more akin to HL1 maps and run HL2 on lower settings? You should still end up with something meeting or outdoing HL1 standard visuals without becoming too laggy, and yet expose your work to a broader audience.

    Maybe I'm just jaded after looking at HL1 maps in Mapcore and other communities, though. It feels like a past era to me and yet they keep popping up.

    Well yeah, I can run HL2 on low settings, and maybe you're right. Maybe I should map for HL2 again, just for the difference. I'd like to add more detail and to have more options with practically all LD elements but to fully use those options, I'd still end up having 3 - 15 frames per second on res of 800 x 1024 max in my levels..

    Also, I have a laptop wich doesn't have a slot for another graphcard. I'd have to buy a whole new rig to get better performance I'm afraid..

    Anyhow, you made me think about doing stuff for HL2 again. I just might try to pick it up again. Hoping this time Hammer will load fine and windows won't bug me all the time with their performance alerts..

  • Whats up with Sven-Co Op?

    • ⌐■_■
    • February 13, 2007 at 3:05 PM
    Quote from Thrik

    It always sad when people can't move on. Lots of great talent wasted for a market that is destined to die before long. It's like the HL1 mappers that continue mapping for HL1 which is a hair away from being a decade old. Why not move on? Is it because they can't cope with learning new tools and development routines, or the more intensive requirement for detail, or what?

    I think that's a little shortsighted, Thrik. I, for one, would love to do some LD for HL2 but since I don't have the cash for an expensive rig and I have to coop with a mid-end laptop, I stick to HL1. To still have an outlet for my creativity. I'm not doing LD only because I want to please everyone else, it's art, it's the desire to create, to build.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™