Great stuff Reno. Got a UT style thing going there. Looks fun.
And I got to get around to posting mine. All these deadline pushes have made me lazy.
Great stuff Reno. Got a UT style thing going there. Looks fun.
And I got to get around to posting mine. All these deadline pushes have made me lazy.
He did a map awhile ago with a giant pencil in it.
This happened with the last competition too.
Ah, well. Will another week do? So...April 30th?
Digimon has no slow motion so rick_d wouldn't like it.
Quote from buddy the designerSo what about this deadline? Still staying with 20th april?
Make it the 23rd for use of the weekend then.
I would definitely buy one.
yeah the thread plate, I guess I was at a loss for ideas, I thought it made sense at the time. ![]()
Quote from buddy the designerErratic, I'm not sure if the patterned metal like that works on the sides, it's more like a thing you would walk on
It's a caution line...to be cautious of...ventilation!!
Some sort of sci-fi vent...
[edit] minor tweaks:
[Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/weird_vent01.jpg]
Hmm, thanks, that seemed to clear up the major issues with it. Though I'm still seeing a few left over artifacts and things slightly misaligned. Nothing that can't be quickly cleaned up in photoshop but is it always this problematic? Or am I just being naive and the whole normal map from highpoly geometry thing is a bit more involving than I first suspected ![]()
anyway:
[Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/bumptest_normal.jpg]
Ok, so I'm having a problem with 3ds max's normal map rendering output. I've followed a number of tutorials, including PhilipK's normal mapping tutorial for a plane which works fine. My problem seems to occur only when trying to render a normal map for a full 3d object.
Here's what 3ds spits out for this object.
[Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/normalhelp02.jpg]
[Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/normhelp01.jpg]
Anyone experience anything like this before?
Quote from FrieChampI don't think they wanted to do any harm or were aware of the consequences that could result from using placeholder material "borrowed" from other games. If you are too casual about it, stuff like this gets into a build, maybe slightly modified later on, possibly by somebody else who doesn't even know that it is placeholder and where it comes from, the files are forgotten, the game ships, somebody with a sharp eye finds it and you get fubar like this.
That's what I figured. People seem to jump to the conclusion that this was some big scheme pulled off by GSC to finish their game faster. It just seems a little odd, considering the amount of work that was put into STALKER itself, that they would just have to resort to using a few simple images from other games.
Not that they shouldn't be held accountable and sort the issue out with the offended developers, but I think this ends up falling on the accidental side of things.
Looks like a solid map. Clean design, nice lighting. My only nitpick would be that row of vents in the third pic just below the walkway on the left. I know it's part of the texture but it's a little silly ![]()
April 20th. So 2 weeks from today. Sometime before that an entries thread will be started to accept everyones maps and then have a vote, like the Oldschool contest. Should be enough time.
Quote from buddy the designerMaybe the playable volume of the map should be equal to 1024x1024x1024?Like 2048x1024x512 = 1024x1024x1024
Hmm, never thought of that
best to keep it within a 1024x1024x1024 cube...
Quote from the0rthopaedicsurgeonbtw, do sprites work differenetly in HL2DM to other Source games? I've got them on all the lights with the "start on" flag checked, and tried different sprite materials, but none of them are showing up ingame.
I have noticed certain sprite materials don't show up. Aside from that make sure it isn't placed inside of a model and that it's set as world space glow.
Map's looking cool, keep it coming.
Now someone make it sticky'd and official and set a deadline. [Edit] Maybe the 20th? To keep things concise?
2048 is pretty big though, that's about the size of a regular small DM map. This is sort of pushing that. More along the lines of the classic Quake 3 1v1 maps, or some of the smaller levels you'll find in Halo/Halo 2 multiplayer, where the map is basically centralized around one prime area.
An example, for those who might not have played Warlock:
[Blocked Image: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo2/screenshots/H2_mp_warlock.jpg]
Really tight, chaotic but simple level that's just basically circular gameplay.