1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Erratic

Posts by Erratic

  • Games you regret buying?

    • Erratic
    • May 14, 2008 at 4:38 PM

    Dungeon Siege, I wanted more Diablo action rpg goodness and got a passive, party management RPG. Your characters attack on their own accord without any need for user input. FUN. I'd much rather watch a game than play it...

  • Metal Gear Solid 4

    • Erratic
    • May 13, 2008 at 5:35 PM
    Quote from PogoP

    Splinter Cell > MGSKekeke.

    Even though I have a few problems with the MGS series, at least it has a soul. The Splinter Cell's don't. Y'know whatimean?

  • Gears of War 2

    • Erratic
    • May 10, 2008 at 11:13 PM
    Quote from Furyo

    Am I the only one that doesn't consider HL2 a FPS? It's a FPA/AG to me (made that up right now) First Person Action/Adventure Game. A FPShooter has to have its main gameplay be about shooting people. Quake III Arena is the very best example to me, but it's precisely because HL2 gives you awesome story telling and immersion that it just falls outside of that category. When you see Episode I has an achievement for finishing the game firing a single bullet, that just says something about the classification as FPS. These days any game that offers a FP view is called FPS, and it's just detrimental.

    It could certainly be argued, I think it's just becomes to taxing to classify each first person game. Plus, HL has it's roots in a shooter, even if it has moved more towards the adventure elements in the Ep 1 & 2.

    Quote from Furyo

    And why anyone would expect the second opus to look a lot better than the first is beyond me. The first doesn't look dated, players have grown used to the first game's visual style so making them go to the same universe is a given. As a sequel, this game will deliver on all aspects. More action, more features, more enemies, more weapons, and increased cinematics like quality of gameplay.

    It's easy to hate on sequels. I don't mind them, and welcome them for the most part. Games have always been about iteration on a base concept with multiple entries into a series. I think some people tend to look at how films are handled, where sequels are generally seen as obvious cash-ins and apply that same logic to games. Games aren't like that and don't have to be.

    Even Team ICO works (some what) along the same lines. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus both handle very similarly but with very different main focuses. You could tag Shadow a sequel to ICO and not turn many heads.

  • Breaking News: Doom 4 announced!

    • Erratic
    • May 10, 2008 at 10:41 PM

    hey, I'm a big CoD fan. But defend it, you cannot.

  • Breaking News: Doom 4 announced!

    • Erratic
    • May 10, 2008 at 9:21 PM
    Quote from Sentura

    first off, i am pretty tired of meaningless sequels; doom included. it offers nothing more to a story other than what has been seen before with better specular/normal maps. sure there will be the elements of pda's and other, but those should have been included in previous games too.

    Doom 1& 2 needed PDA's? Really?

    Quote from Sentura

    it's definitely an overdone franchise with each game only offering minor changes to the next.

    There was about a decade between Doom 2 and Doom 3... you could pick worse offender to nail for doing the same thing over and over with each sequel.

    Quote

    Call of Duty

  • Breaking News: Doom 4 announced!

    • Erratic
    • May 9, 2008 at 6:08 PM

    Crap on Doom 4 but get hyped for Deadspace. Bizzaro world or what...

  • Mirror's Edge

    • Erratic
    • May 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM

    Mirror's Edge uses Unreal Engine 3.0

    Wat? Never would have guessed.

  • Mirror's Edge

    • Erratic
    • May 7, 2008 at 9:57 PM
    Quote from Punky

    OMG its a girl!I love the style, although the gameplay seems kind of boring for an FPS, if it the real in-game gameplay is the same as the trailer it would be pretty lonely and "empty" to play since there is practically no shooting in it...

    I think it's best to think of it as a platformer rather than a shooter.

  • Mirror's Edge

    • Erratic
    • May 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM
    Quote from ginger_lord

    Ugh, if they have 'momentum' in it...well...thats just going to be annoying. The ability to stop when I want, not 10 paces later over the buildings edge is something I prefer not to have in my games.Its going to be a real fine balance between super annoying and something new, perhaps why nobody has added this so far to any FPS.

    I never understood the preference for 'stopping on a dime' to the momentum/inertia feeling in games. It's basically the reason this:

    [Blocked Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/NES_Super_Mario_Bros.png]

    beats the shit out of, and continues to beat the shit out of every game to date.

  • Mirror's Edge

    • Erratic
    • May 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM

    Looks awesome. Glad it lived up to the early screenshots.

  • Cool Zombie flash game!

    • Erratic
    • May 6, 2008 at 4:32 AM

    I'm gonna be that guy...

    The second one was put out recently

    http://armorgames.com/play/1443/the-last-stand-2

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Erratic
    • May 5, 2008 at 3:28 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://abrad45.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/killer7.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://recensioni-videogiochi.dvd.it/images/GTA4/grand-theft-auto-iv-gta-xbox-360-packshot-01-m.jpg]

  • Mafia 2 website/screens

    • Erratic
    • May 5, 2008 at 12:39 AM

    The Godfather and its crummy cinematography. What a lazy film, am i rite?

  • Mafia 2 website/screens

    • Erratic
    • May 2, 2008 at 10:32 PM

    I think Mafia being primarily a PC Game didn't help, and the console ports came awhile after and were probably of less quality. It looks to be getting a console focused release this time around with a publisher that seems serious about making something of the series (having acquired Illusion).

  • Pre-release marketing and media

    • Erratic
    • April 30, 2008 at 2:45 PM
    Quote from Zacker

    Rockstar had a much better initial position to pull this off from. They could release very limited amount of information and yet have everyone hyped - which is what they did. I highly doubt that this would work for everyone though.

    I agree with this pretty much.

    Though I do think less, better media would really benefit most of the games that get launched. Rockstar does probably some of the best trailers you'll see for a game and half of them aren't even direct gameplay clips. Those commercial trailers they released were great and gave you a sense of the world without really revealing anything particular about the core game, just an impression of the world they're creating.

    A lot of the time trailers are after thoughts, mostly trying to imitate what films have done (which are mostly garbage, every trailer's basically the same) and gameplay videos that are direct pulls from whatever part of the game with no sensitivity towards character/gameplay/story spoilers. I avoid most of the media released for games anyway, but GTA had me watching all of their official trailers, not because I needed to be sold on it, but because they were good.

    Then again, Rockstar does all of their media internally, so it's pretty clear why they seem more of an extension of the game world than a marketing departments sales attempt.

  • XBOX Live Gamertags / PSN User IDs

    • Erratic
    • April 29, 2008 at 3:03 PM

    XBL: Errat1c

  • Condemned 2: Bloodshot

    • Erratic
    • April 28, 2008 at 5:19 PM
    Quote from madgernader

    I never actually played the first one, But Ive been meaning to pick it up, it looked cool, and all my friends said it was great. But the Demo for C2 was a dissappointment. It looked great and all, but like people have said its abit supernatural, which ruined it for me, I Thought the original was cool because you fought addicts and other PEOPLE, not (C2 demo related spoiler / generic enemy type)

    So I probably wont pick it up, unless the price drops.

    I played through and finished it a couple days ago. You certainly fight thugs and addicts more often than the super natural creatures but it does suck they showed up at all. The demo isn't the best indication of that, because it's split about 50/50 with the enemy types but I'd say just pick up the first if you can find it. It's a better game overall. C2 really only offers better combat mechanics and a better investigation mode (which is quite cool). The rest, save for a few early levels that feel like the first game, it kinda let me down.

  • Mafia 2 website/screens

    • Erratic
    • April 28, 2008 at 3:12 PM

    That diner scuffle is like the best shot yet.

  • Uwe Boll will retire if 1 million people sign the petition!!

    • Erratic
    • April 28, 2008 at 4:50 AM
    Quote

    ":f534j115]http://www.movieset.com/postal :roll:

    It's basically impossible to take a side isn't it?

  • Grand Theft Auto IV

    • Erratic
    • April 28, 2008 at 4:30 AM

    I'd wonder more about the percentage of people that even have a choice. I only have a 360 right now.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™